HE-500 and........?
Jun 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #47 of 63
Just got it.... Hooked it up about half an hour ago. Listening now. So far it sounds great. It seems to have brought some bass back that the learning of having the EQ and subsequent turning off of the EQ took away. The mids are still sharp and clear. The soundstage seems to have improved too. I don't know if thats just my noobness, but before it sounded like things were taking place slightly behind my head... sounds weird but I came away with that impression several times. Things now seem to be centered in my head or just slightly in front of that. I was having a problem with Dave Matthew's voice on Some Devil. It sounded slightly nasally or shrouded.. That's fixed too. 

So far things are looking good. I'll post more later, but the HE500 sounds great with my Asgard/Bifrost combo. Much better than un-amped un-DACed Senn. HD555s!!!

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #48 of 63
Quote:
Just got it.... Hooked it up about half an hour ago. Listening now. So far it sounds great. It seems to have brought some bass back that the learning of having the EQ and subsequent turning off of the EQ took away. The mids are still sharp and clear. The soundstage seems to have improved too. I don't know if thats just my noobness, but before it sounded like things were taking place slightly behind my head... sounds weird but I came away with that impression several times. Things now seem to be centered in my head or just slightly in front of that. I was having a problem with Dave Matthew's voice on Some Devil. It sounded slightly nasally or shrouded.. That's fixed too. 

So far things are looking good. I'll post more later, but the HE500 sounds great with my Asgard/Bifrost combo. Much better than un-amped un-DACed Senn. HD555s!!!

Can you tell me where your volume control ends up for rather loud listening, as I believe the Asgard starts at 7:00 ?    Thanks

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #49 of 63
I listen to the majority of my music around 10. Loud for me is just after 11.

I just tried 12 to see what it was like. Way. Too. Loud! (for me.)

Thats just my comfortable listening position. Yours may be different but super uncomfortable loud for me is just after 11.

(these numbers are all o'clock numbers...)

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #50 of 63
other amps to consider pairing with the he500s - seems some of these have been forgotten, or perhaps some of them predate some newer members who therefore mention what was, or what became, popular during their tenure. yes, there are affordable amps other than those by schiit
smily_headphones1.gif
.:

- heed can amp
- bada ph12
- headamp gilmore lite
- hifiman ef5

Jul 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #52 of 63
Guys.. ive been posting like crazy for the past 2-3 days..

I currently own a Bifrost + Lyr that drives my K701s. To be honest, I grew tired of their sound signature, and im looking to move up the ranks. A rather extensive research was concluded with the HE-500s as the forerunner. 

If I am to pull the trigger which will be in the following 6 months, I need to know about the synergy with the LYR. Can you do better than the lyr an will it cost a lot? Otherwise will the Lyr with proper tubes.. make a good amp for the HE-500? I am especially concerned over the midrange..

I also read something in one of the posts.. about BAD BUILT QUALITY?? How is that even possible for HIFIMAN? I auditioned the HE-6 and they had one of the best built qualities ive seen with a headphone?

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #53 of 63
Quote:
Guys.. ive been posting like crazy for the past 2-3 days..

I currently own a Bifrost + Lyr that drives my K701s. To be honest, I grew tired of their sound signature, and im looking to move up the ranks. A rather extensive research was concluded with the HE-500s as the forerunner. 

If I am to pull the trigger which will be in the following 6 months, I need to know about the synergy with the LYR. Can you do better than the lyr an will it cost a lot? Otherwise will the Lyr with proper tubes.. make a good amp for the HE-500? I am especially concerned over the midrange..

I also read something in one of the posts.. about BAD BUILT QUALITY?? How is that even possible for HIFIMAN? I auditioned the HE-6 and they had one of the best built qualities ive seen with a headphone?

I've just upgraded from the K702's to the HE500's and think it was definately a good choice. If you have only been listening to the AKG's for a while then you will need some adjusting time with the hifiman's. Soundstage for one is a lot smaller, the placing of instruments is quite unique on the K's and is one of there great strengths IMO. The 500's have a completely different character, much more musical and laid back "liquidy" with loads of detail.  Out of the box you may even have a few reservations, but trust me.. after about the 50 hour' mark you will start to hear what these cans are capable of and you will not look back! 

Haven't heard the Lyr but some peeps think that it is a very good match for the HE500's. On paper it sounds like it could be overkill with the 6 watts but I don't think there is such a thing with Orthos!

Build quality of the headphones was very good for me. The only thing I would mention is the cable, very nice sounding silver job, but it looks like it was made in a hurry haha. Anyway's your sure to upgrade it anyway? That's what upgrade cables are for!
wink_face.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

You may get a little bit more midrange detail with a DAC, but in my experience 95% of what a DAC does is eliminate noise from your source.  Depending on your source, you may not notice that you had noise until you get the DAC, but sometimes it's easily noticeable.  My old work computer would generate noise through the audio card anytime I wasn't holding down the mouse button, or (counter-intuitively) when the hard drive was not transferring data.

IMO, spending over $100 on a DAC is not wise unless you real first hand experience comparing them, or want a specific feature; I have a $700 DAC only because it has configurable crossfeed and a built-in pre-amp that I use for my speakers.  Otherwise, I would have only a uDac, or similar.

Short side-track here: SanJoseCanJunkie, thanks for the comment on the DAC with the crossfeed. I've been hunting for something like that Meier with the hopes of reducing fatigue.

On the OP's topic, really liking this thread and may follow in his footsteps right down to the Schitt equipment. I've been searching for a deal on used Ultrasone Sig Pros but no luck. Wondering that the HE-500 will do really nicely and be a better value.

Would most who have tried the HE-500 agree they are quite comfortable? Coming from Senn HD 280pros... Not that I want a cloud around my head that falls off every time I move, but for longer sessions no one likes their head in a vice.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #56 of 63
Quote:
Short side-track here: SanJoseCanJunkie, thanks for the comment on the DAC with the crossfeed. I've been hunting for something like that Meier with the hopes of reducing fatigue.

On the OP's topic, really liking this thread and may follow in his footsteps right down to the Schitt equipment. I've been searching for a deal on used Ultrasone Sig Pros but no luck. Wondering that the HE-500 will do really nicely and be a better value.

Would most who have tried the HE-500 agree they are quite comfortable? Coming from Senn HD 280pros... Not that I want a cloud around my head that falls off every time I move, but for longer sessions no one likes their head in a vice.

I used to have the 280pros and they do have quite a clamp if I remember. The HE-500's take a little getting used to because of their weight, I got used to it after a week and now all my other headphones feel very flimsy and light in comparision! They are comfortable enough for longer listening sessions but you always know you are wearing them, unlike the 650's or D2000's fr example  where you can actually forget that you are wearing hps because they are so comfortable. Anyway's I'm sure you will be able to get used to a little extra weight on your head when you hear how good they sound.

Just got a deal on an Asgard and so I'm giving it a whirl today. Sounds good up to now, very punchy sound. On the warm side of neutral with better bass extension than my other amps with the he500's. Doesn't sound like they are missing anything in the dynamics, possibly only in soundstage when compared to my Xcan. Very nice!
Oh, and its gonna keep me warm in the winter time
tongue.gif

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #57 of 63
Quote:
I used to have the 280pros and they do have quite a clamp if I remember. The HE-500's take a little getting used to because of their weight, I got used to it after a week and now all my other headphones feel very flimsy and light in comparision! They are comfortable enough for longer listening sessions but you always know you are wearing them, unlike the 650's or D2000's fr example  where you can actually forget that you are wearing hps because they are so comfortable. Anyway's I'm sure you will be able to get used to a little extra weight on your head when you hear how good they sound.

Just got a deal on an Asgard and so I'm giving it a whirl today. Sounds good up to now, very punchy sound. On the warm side of neutral with better bass extension than my other amps with the he500's. Doesn't sound like they are missing anything in the dynamics, possibly only in soundstage when compared to my Xcan. Very nice!
Oh, and its gonna keep me warm in the winter time
tongue.gif

Hmm.. Im still bothered by the soundstage issue.. but I despite not being able to hear them.. I think im gonna pull the trigger soon. Once I get stable with my more liquid assets. Im sure they will pair nice with my Lyr.. however, Im gonna get some nice tubes that will bring up the midrange nicely. I don't want the AKG or Grado midrange (which is interesting, but totally overhyped), but I want a smooth and realistic sounding vocals and FINALLY a good piano! Ive had 2 headphones (of good quality) till now, they just cant get the piano right!

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #58 of 63
FYI Guys, 
I just got the new Bryston BHA-1 and it's doing a great job with my HE-500's as well as all the other headphones I own. Running it balanced all the way through.

It's replacing my Bottlehead SEX 2.1 (2 wpc!) which also did a great job with the HE-500's.
The 2 amps are pretty similar sounding but the Bryston has a slightly warmer midrange than the BH and the soundstage is a little wider (if I'm using the balanced cables). Other than that, I can recommend either amp for these headphones.   

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:
Hmm.. Im still bothered by the soundstage issue.. but I despite not being able to hear them.. I think im gonna pull the trigger soon. Once I get stable with my more liquid assets. Im sure they will pair nice with my Lyr.. however, Im gonna get some nice tubes that will bring up the midrange nicely. I don't want the AKG or Grado midrange (which is interesting, but totally overhyped), but I want a smooth and realistic sounding vocals and FINALLY a good piano! Ive had 2 headphones (of good quality) till now, they just cant get the piano right!

You'll definately get that with the HE500's IMO. Brilliant for piano, best I've heard yet. I wouldn't worry too much about the soundstage, It seems narrow when you first get them but they really open up with time. I'm really enjoying symphonies etc with them now, strings sound very real and textured now. Out of the box strings sounded a little light and fluffy but more than any other hp I've owned these keep improving with burn in. Must be something to do with the magnets..?  

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

I agree with LugBug1, Piano is outstanding on the HE-500.  Your in for a real treat! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back