HE-500 and........?
Mar 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

eddiek997

500+ Head-Fier
In need of a little advice please...

Just sold my Grado GS1000's and ordered HE-500's.

Never been happy with my setup hence the change. I have 3 different Dac's, 2 kids, a rapidly losing patience wife and therefore a relatively meager budget for an amp to compliment the HE-500's
So far, I'm looking at either...
NFB 12
Schiit Asgard
MavAudio A1

Max budget $350. A piss-ant budget but if spare $$ were gasoline, I wouldn't have enough to power said piss-ants gokart around the inside of a cheerio.

I have a lot of Flac ripped music, sacd's AIX records and generally like blues/jazz/rock and occasionally classical. Grados were too bright for my tastes and fatigued me too much over time. Definition, imaging are important to me as is low end/mids more than highs.

Any help is much appreciated and Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the trouble to reply.

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 63
I was interessed in NFB 12.
But after reading this --->  http://www.headfonia.com/no-music-audio-gd-nfb-12/
I give up. Don't know about changes in the new version...

Keep on your list the Schiit Asgard and MavAudio A1.
My personal curiosity goes to Asgard.
Don't read nothing about MavAudio A1.

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 63

Quote:
Max budget $350. A piss-ant budget but if spare $$ were gasoline, I wouldn't have enough to power said piss-ants gokart around the inside of a cheerio.

This is a classic! LOL

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 63
Broke down, ordered the asgard.

Piss-ant gonna have to walk....

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 63
Schiit Asgard seem to be a good choice for the money that you willing to spend. 

you could also consider Matrix Quattro full balance amp , specification per below taken from TAM audio :-

● Specifications 
Analog Input: 
XLR connectors 
Frequency response: 10Hz (-0.3dB) to 35 kHz (-1dB) 
SNR:> 98dB at 0dB gain 
Distortion: <0.001% at 6mW/300 Ohms 
Gain Bandwidth:> 500kHz 
RCA connectors 
Input impedance: 47Kohms 
Frequency response: 10Hz (-0.3dB) to 35 kHz (-1dB) 
SNR:> 95dB at 0dB gain 
Distortion: <0.001% at 6mW/300 Ohms 
Gain Bandwidth:> 500kHz

Headphone Output: 
Balanced approach 
Maximum output current: 1000mA 
Output power: 400mW/300 Ohms, 800mW/60 Ohms 
Non-equilibrium approach 
Maximum Output Current: 500mA 
Output power 200mW/300 Ohms, 400mW/60 Ohms

also Matrix M-stage Amp :

Output Power: 200 mW / 300 Ω, 400 mW / 60 Ω
Input Impedance: 47 kΩ
Output Impedance: Line out 60 Ω, headphone out 5 Ω
Frequency Response: 10 Hz (-0.3dB) - 35 KHz (-1 dB)
Signal / Noise Ratio: >95 dB @ 0 dB
Distortion: <0.001 % (6 mW / 300 Ω)

good luck on your search . 

Raymond 

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 63
Thanks Raymond,

Once the HE-500's and the Asgard arrive, I'll leave them playing for a week before I even listen to them then report back on what is hopefully a delightful listening experience.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 63
Lol dude if you ever need money for gas gimme a holler hahaha

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 63
smile_phones.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 63

Quote:
Ummm ... I could use some money for gas.  Is your offer open to other forum members? 
biggrin.gif

Wayne you and I need to have a chat about HE-5LE's sometime. I can't decide if they're better than Magnums 

confused.gif

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 63

Quote:
Wayne you and I need to have a chat about HE-5LE's sometime. I can't decide if they're better than Magnums 

confused.gif

Did I see correctly?  Did you make the move on a pair of HE-500s?  Currently, my Magnum and Grado invetory is "0".   I'm running nothing but orthodynamic headphones at the moment.  Being a cable guy,  you should buy up some ends from HifiMAN and some Linz Quad cable from Cardas.  Right now, a 6' cable with a Furutech 1/4" connector sells for $159 on eBay.  Other cable options are available, but cost even more.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 63

Quote:
Did I see correctly?  Did you make the move on a pair of HE-500s?  Currently, my Magnum and Grado invetory is "0".   I'm running nothing but orthodynamic headphones at the moment.  Being a cable guy,  you should buy up some ends from HifiMAN and some Linz Quad cable from Cardas.  Right now, a 6' cable with a Furutech 1/4" connector sells for $159 on eBay.  Other cable options are available, but cost even more.

Lol I hear some guys can give homie hookups on HE-500 cables for less though.

I built this one out of all Double Helix brand products for myself (I don't stock their stuff) actually, so it's not "technically" advertising if I post this. Please take it down if it is.

Yeah I almost want to sell my magnums, but the "barrage of sound" soundstage that they have keeps me around. It's just more exciting having the driver that close to the head. I DID actually make the move on some HE-500's and a Schiit Lyr to go with them. I've always had money, but I found the Magnum projects very interesting and I liked contributing to that little mini-community on those threads, but lately thelostmidrange seems to err "contribute" pretty much all the content so I've moved onto orthos haha

May 20, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #15 of 63
Hey Chris,
How do you like your Schiit Lyr and HE-500 combo? 
Thanks,
Ceja-Blu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back