HE-500 and........?
May 23, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #16 of 63
Quote:
Hey Chris,
How do you like your Schiit Lyr and HE-500 combo? 
Thanks,
Ceja-Blu

I love it, but the Nuforce HDP has more thump, the Lyr has way more power though, the HE-500 starts to use like 75% of the gain knob on the HDP when I really wanna jam out. I have less of a tolerance for loud listening than most people since I do like 8 hour sessions and I need to protect my most important sense... TASTE! Just kidding... it's hearing haha. 

The Lyr is the end-game amp for me, I let it go to condense my overall setup to something that costs less and sounds as good. I have an open-minded taste in audio so I can really just plug in any high-end headphone and I'd be good to go to be honest, doesn't even matter if it's JH13 Pro or Grado RS-2, if it sounds good, it sounds good :)

May 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #17 of 63
Yeah, I'm interested in the pairing opinions of the Lyr vs Asgard as well. 

I'm looking at a pair of HE-500's to replace my HD555's and would need an amp. I've looked at a bunch of different stuff, but the Asgard and Lyr are at the top of the list. 

The Asgard apparently drives the HE-500's just fine and complements them well, while also being the cheapest of the bunch. (which is great!) 

The Lyr might be over kill for them, and I haven't read too many opinions of it paired with the HE-500. It seems like loads of people had that combo, and then downsized. The idea of tubes and tube rolling intrigues me, but I've never heard anything from a tube amp before, so I have no idea what to expect sound wise....

May 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #18 of 63
Emailed Jason from Schiit and this is what he had to say on the HE-500 Asgard vs Lyr...

"I like both, but I slightly prefer Asgard tonally. Lyr is more dynamic and resolving, Asgard is more warm and full. Lyr with the 6BZ7 tubes is very nice, though."

Anyone care to help me decipher what that means to a noob like me?

Thanks-

May 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #19 of 63
Imagine this, and, no, I haven't done this first hand, so don't think that....

A glass of red wine vs. a snort of cocaine.  Red wine is smooth, warm, full.  It has a glow to it.  Cocaine is hard, fast, and etchy.  Cocaine has more energy and edge than red wine.
Quote:
Emailed Jason from Schiit and this is what he had to say on the HE-500 Asgard vs Lyr...

"I like both, but I slightly prefer Asgard tonally. Lyr is more dynamic and resolving, Asgard is more warm and full. Lyr with the 6BZ7 tubes is very nice, though."

Anyone care to help me decipher what that means to a noob like me?

Thanks-

May 23, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #20 of 63
Lol. Thanks. That, in a weird way, helps.

I guess I just need to figure out whats going to work for me. I listen to a lot of acoustic stuff, jam bands, some rock, and some other stuff mixed in, so I'm leaning more toward the Asgard? Yes, that's a question. I don't know what I'm doing. I want to save money, but at the same time, I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on something with the Lyr... 

Does the HE5000 and the Asgard have enough "headroom?"

What would you guys pick for acoustic music?

thanks

May 23, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #22 of 63
I use my Asgard for acoustic music all the time and it does very well.  In fact, I would say it is easily 85-90% the amp that my $1500 Trafomatic Experience Head One amp.  The Trafomatic has a wider soundstage, less high end roll off, more accurate instrument placement, and a hint more clarity, but tonally, they are similar.  The Asgard is actually slightly stronger in the bass department than my Trafomatic, which does come in handy for the lower registers of guitars and bass guitars, especially acoustic ones.

I haven't listened to the Lyr so I can't comment on which one is better, but I can say without a doubt the Asgard does acoustic, and many forms of rock for that matter, very well.

All of the Schiits are voiced very similarly.  The main difference in amps is their intended headphones.  Unless you have high impedance headphones, there's not much reason for the Valhalla.  If you have hard to drive orthos, like the HE-6 or HE-4, the Lyr is nice.  But, the HE-500 isn't overly difficult to drive, so I'd recommend the Asgard.  The Lyr has lots of brute strength, but you also have to deal with a higher noise floor and tube maintenance.  The Asgard has a lower noise floor and no tube maintenance, plus it's cheaper to boot.  You mentioned saving a few bucks is important to you, so I would strongly consider the Asgard.  It has ample voltage and current to handle the HE-500.
Quote:
Lol. Thanks. That, in a weird way, helps.

I guess I just need to figure out whats going to work for me. I listen to a lot of acoustic stuff, jam bands, some rock, and some other stuff mixed in, so I'm leaning more toward the Asgard? Yes, that's a question. I don't know what I'm doing. I want to save money, but at the same time, I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on something with the Lyr... 

Does the HE5000 and the Asgard have enough "headroom?"

What would you guys pick for acoustic music?

thanks

May 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #23 of 63
Well, after staring at the price of the HE500 and an Asgard in my amazon cart for a couple of hours, I finally pulled the trigger. 

I seriously considered the Lyr because it was Prime eligible for free 2nd day shipping and the Asgard wasn't... damn my impatient ways.

Headphones will be here Friday, and the Asgard will be here....... at some point. They seemed kinda vague on that. Its going to be brutal waiting for it to arrive. 

On second thought... I still have time to change it to the Lyr...... AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!

May 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #24 of 63
I'd seriously consider the Lyr over the Asgard for the HE-500's. WIth the right tubes it's an improvement in every aspect over the Asgard (with the HE-500)'s.
Analogy....BMW's are good. Base model is a very capable car but you know the M series is a much better all round performer. The Lyr is the M3 of head amps. Yes, there are Ferarri's, Lambo's, 911's and all manor of exotics but the M3 will make you smile every time you listen to it relative to the $$$ paid.

May 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #25 of 63
Even with a high noise floor and the maintenance of tubes?

I know nothing of what that means, other than it was mentioned as a downfall of the Lyr. 

What tubes are "the right tubes?"

Thanks,

Its also too late to cancel the asgard order, but I can still return it!

May 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #26 of 63
Don't know about the 'maintenance of tubes'. I tried a few types and have left the ones I like the most in there ever since. No maintenace. Just turn it on, wait a few minutes, sit back and enjoy the music. That's the real reason we buy this stuff, or at least, it should be.
As for the right tubes... every one has an opinion and for sure, some are better performing and have different characteristics than others, I have Siemens Cca's that I bought from a fellow head fi-er and love them. Combined with the HE-500's I'm very happy with them.

May 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #27 of 63
Noise floor = noise that is part of the amp. You can hear it when no music is playing, and in some cases when soft music is playing.

Tube maintenance = tubes wear out and need to replaced. A good rule of thumb is replace them every 2-3 years when used on a regular basis. That's on average. Some tubes die catastrophic deaths very unexpectedly and before their expected lifespan. Also, tubes act up at times that require a witch doctor to heal.

I know nothing of what that means, other than it was mentioned as a downfall of the Lyr. 

Thanks,

May 23, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #28 of 63
Hodgiy -  Thanks for the definitions. 

eddiek997 - Do you hear any noise when things are silent on your Lyr and HE500's? 

Will I hear anything different when I use a DAC?

Thanks for all the help-

S-

May 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #29 of 63
Quote:
 based on the above description, the coke, easily.  but the wine sounds nice too.

Haha!!
beerchug.gif

Seriously though...this is exactly why I love the Lyr.  When I listen to my HD650s for a few days, I usually roll in a tube that is a bit warmer and forward and also compliments the Senns midrange. With my K702s (and incoming HE-500s) a better choice would be a tube that is a little more laid-back, which also seems to help tame the upper treble.

OK, try that with an Asgard.
smile.gif

May 24, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Thanks,

I have HE 500's and both a Lyr and an Asgard.  You are going to love IMHO the Asgard and save yourself a ton of money investing in tubes.  The 500's are fantastic cans you don't necessarily need to change the sonic signature with tubes.  The Asgard is cleaner (lower noise floor) and is very accurate.  Can't beat it for the money.  Enjoy your tunes :)

Stri

Users who are viewing this thread

Back