HE-5..initial musings
Dec 20, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #946 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fang to clarify:
..........................snip.................... ......................
2. Power amps are not recommended to avoid burning in the pc-board inside of the HE5. If so then the Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 I own is off limits to amp the HE5. Correct?
.............................snip................. ................

Miguel

I don't think you can use the Sig. to drive the HE5, as they have a common ground, and Tripath amps cannot be used with a common ground as both ground and signal channels are driven.

Perhaps if the phones were balanced, it would work fine.

Ron

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #947 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have spent lots of time to search this forums and finally made a decision to upgrade my amp to the Little dot MK VI for my first balanced rig. Now I am also very interested in HE-5s, but if this headphone only can be drived by EF5 or other few amps, I have to think it over.
frown.gif

Did you read my post? Or look at my review? The HE-5 can be driven by a wide variety of amps. It's just that some people have complained when their particular amp wasn't a good match. Fang's suggestion is that people should use the EF5 because it was tuned to work well with the HE-5, and then if everyone has the EF5 they wont complain about the HE-5.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #948 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you read my post? Or look at my review? The HE-5 can be driven by a wide variety of amps. It's just that some people have complained when their particular amp wasn't a good match. Fang's suggestion is that people should use the EF5 because it was tuned to work well with the HE-5, and then if everyone has the EF5 they wont complain about the HE-5.

I have read this thread until page 40. Most guys mentioned that the HE-5 is hard to be driven by tube amps, so I am not convinced that the MK VI would do a good job with HE-5. I asked several times in this thread, but nobody give me any answer.
You said the WA6 drives HE-5 well, so I thought MK VI+ maybe be work ok with it. But I really need some confidence before I make the order.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #949 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read this thread until page 40. Most guys mentioned that the HE-5 is hard to be driven by tube amps, so I am not convinced that the MK VI would do a good job with HE-5. I asked several times in this thread, but nobody give me any answer.
You said the WA6 drives HE-5 well, so I thought MK VI+ maybe be work ok with it. But I really need some confidence before I make the order.

That's because the WA6 is transformer-coupled; it can better match the low impedance (25Ω) of the HE-5.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #950 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's because the WA6 is transformer-coupled; it can better match the low impedance (25Ω) of the HE-5.

You really have to consider and pander to the strength of the phone. I tried the WA6SE with the HE-5 and it was not great. Everything puddled and thickened. Healthy Solid-State or Hybrid was better....but I'm one of a few that is advocating actual speaker amps with this phone....

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #951 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking about stopping HE-5 retail, and only put HE-5/EF5 on sell. Any advise?

No, it might actually hamper sales. Leave the question open ended and let people make a choice...because one, there are better amps in peoples possession than the EF-5, and secondly just offer a "combo pricing special" for folks that might have amp issues.

Combo only would be a monetary disaster in my opinion! I would hate to be told I "must" do something against my will or nature, and I wouldn't buy it!!

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #952 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would hate to be told I "must" do something against my will or nature, and I wouldn't buy it!!

So saying "Alan, you MUST buy another Stacker amp"...guess you don't like being told that
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #953 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So saying "Alan, you MUST buy another Stacker amp"...guess you don't like being told that
wink.gif

You could tell me that everyday and twice on Sunday....I'm loving the Stacker man. If the assembly and construction duties get picked up by a vendor or if a kit with boards is available...I'll dust off the soldering iron!!

Thats why it's called a Stacker...you get more than one and stack em'...

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #954 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could tell me that everyday and twice on Sunday....I'm loving the Stacker man. If the assembly and construction duties get picked up by a vendor or if a kit with boards is available...I'll dust off the soldering iron!!

Thats why it's called a Stacker...you get more than one and stack em'...

haha..agreed..i am listening to some Cowboy Junkies with a brand new pair of Mazda 6CG7s that i bought recently for the stacker. It really is something else. Ruthless with source and source material.

Damn thing keeps me awake at night far too long
tongue.gif

Interesting that you found the stacker clip with the HE-5. Do you like the HE-5 out of the moth or the stacker more?

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #955 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha..agreed..i am listening to some Cowboy Junkies with a brand new pair of Mazda 6CG7s that i bought recently for the stacker. It really is something else. Ruthless with source and source material.

Damn thing keeps me awake at night far too long
tongue.gif

Interesting that you found the stacker clip with the HE-5. Do you like the HE-5 out of the moth or the stacker more?

Even with the Mighty Stacker I still have some issues with compression on dynamic peaks of well played and fortissimo bent Classic gener...I won't shy away..and the phone won't either when confronted with the peaks
wink.gif

Other Modern fare with limited dynamic swings the Stacker is more than up to the task. But the Stacker has allowed some introspect at the limitations of the HE-5, some balance, and with bottom delineation issues etc. It's just so sparkling and clear that you don't have to guess shortcomings (damn I'm picky in my old age). Nothing Major as the phone continues to impress, and for the price....fugedaboutit...

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #956 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pd: So far at 125 hours of burn-in the only recommendation I would make is for a longer than 6' SE cable. Personally I would love it at 10'.

X2. This was a big issue for me because my preferred listening position requires a 3m or 10ft cable. In both of my headphone systems, the 2m cable was too short. I have a Grado 15ft extension but there are some sonic drawbacks of using it so I don't use it. I was going to buy an aftermarket cable but it would have cost $340. Fang, I think you should either provide a 10ft cable and add a few dollars to the base cost or provide an option for a longer cable with an additional cost.

In the end, this was a deal breaker for me and I have returned my HE-5 to pursue the T1. I may come back to the HE-5 in the future if Fang offers a stock 10ft cord for say an additional $20.

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #957 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. This was a big issue for me because my preferred listening position requires a 3m or 10ft cable. In both of my headphone systems, the 2m cable was too short. I have a Grado 15ft extension but there are some sonic drawbacks of using it so I don't use it. I was going to buy an aftermarket cable but it would have cost $340. Fang, I think you should either provide a 10ft cable and add a few dollars to the base cost or provide an option for a longer cable with an additional cost.

In the end, this was a deal breaker for me and I have returned my HE-5 to pursue the T1. I may come back to the HE-5 in the future if Fang offers a stock 10ft cord for say an additional $20.

[size=x-small]C'mon. It is easy to make cable for HE-5:

BalancedHE-51.jpg

[/size][size=x-small]
Spare connectors came with the phones. Used two runs of Canford's SQJ starquad cable. Jacketed with thinner (Y part) and thicker (from Y joint to XLR connector) cordura expandable sleeving. Used adhesive heatshrink at connectors and to make the Y joint. Neutrik NC4MXX XLR connector at headamp end (if you want SE cable use [/size]NP3X-B instead of[size=x-small] NC4MXX [/size]or make NC4FXX-NP3X adapter).
[size=x-small]
Voila - you have made yourself a 20-25€ balanced cable (materials only; without mini BNC's). Soldering of the mini BNC's was a bit dificult because of dual cables per phase. The rest - piece of cake. [/size]

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #958 of 1,668
Quote:

Actually all 1st batch, include Skylab's unit, have 200+ hrs pre-burn-in.

This explains why many reported them sounding great out of the box with little or no change with burn in
wink.gif

Quote:

In addition, we do not recommend any receivers or power amplifiers to drive HE-5.

Fang, why do you not recommend using speaker amps- do the HE-5's have power limits?

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #959 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't force people to buy the pair if all they want are the headphones. There are many amps out there that sound good with HE-5, and people who already own a nice amp might not be able to afford the HE-5 if they have to buy the EF5 with it. No headphone will sound perfect with all amps, and I think most of your customers understand that and will not hold it against you if the HE-5 don't match their particular amp.

COMPLETELY agree. I have quite a few amps on which the HE-5 sound good. And I'm not the only person who thinks they do. I think it is very, very limiting to sell only the combo - much more limiting that it would be to sell the HE-5 on its own and risk a few people will match it poorly.

Just my opinion. I think most of the HE-5 owners have been happy, haven't they? Just a few haven't been? Especially after 100+ hours break in?

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #960 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainFood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This explains why many reported them sounding great out of the box with little or no change with burn in

The one I heard was in that first batch and it had an identifiable peak. I would really like to see a headphone which is accessible to modding (even if this devoids the warranty) . People hear differently and with the ability to tune this headphone, people would never reach for another.

..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back