HE-5..initial musings
Dec 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #916 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"When used correctly, equalization can make a good headphone great, and a great headphone superb."

If it is not variation in the headphones, then wouldn't it have to be differing inner ear acoustics?
From what I've read here, equalizing the headphones properly can remove "acoustic peaks" and compensate for differences in "personal resonance frequencies".

I do not want any equaliser or "deeSSer" plugin in my setup. I want HE-5 that sound like Sklyab's HE-5 (normal) and not like Tim's or Sachu's or mine (excessive sibilance).
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing may be the amplifiers have some "under the hood" differences or defects and may not be exactly the same as they appear to be?

From what I have been able to grok from this 60-page+ thread, the HE-5s need just the right amp, and most are wrong.

I've tried my HE-5 with three different headamps and three different DAC's - they exibit sibilance on any combination of them. You can not say that all my gear are wrong (for driving HE-5 that is).

You can not even say that HE-5 require "mo' powa'" because I've modded my A-GD Roc to give more power than EF-5 on HE-5's impedance, and this "Baby Phoenix" was a great headamp even before this modification.

Will go through 200-250 hours of "burn-in" and will try to match impedance with HE-5. After that, if they ssssstill sssssibilate - I'll ask for another pair.

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #917 of 1,668
sylvester_the_cat.JPG
Suffering succotash!!

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #920 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quality control seems to be an issue... turning me off these headphones.

Well, don't be. These are quite outstanding headphones, and the build quality is impeccable.

My example could be, in the worst case, some kind of driver variation. If it turns out to be so, I'am willing to wait for another pair.

They really are that good.

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #922 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking about stopping HE-5 retail, and only put HE-5/EF5 on sell. Any advice?

Nooo...hope that doesn't happen. Fang, It is your product though so it is your call as to how you want to package it.

Unless there is compelling multiple confirmed impressions that the EF-5 matches best with the HE-5, I don't see the need to do it.

However, it is your company and your product so its totally your decision to make.

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #923 of 1,668
Quote:

I am thinking about stopping HE-5 retail, and only put HE-5/EF5 on sell. Any advise?

Please don't.

It would make them more expensive (if you want them you have to get their amp too) and somewhat exclusive (like electrostatics).

I believe HE-5/EF-5 combo is great match but not the only possible match (f.e. Skylab and his Phoenix).

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #924 of 1,668
Like sachu mentions, it is your business but I too think this would not be the best idea. I think giving people the option to use their own amp is a plus (over electrostats for instance which require an amp, usually a paired one from the company). Also, if enough rave reviews come in regarding the EF-5 then it will sell on its own. It is priced very well, sounds excellent and is compact and built well.

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #925 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nooo...hope that doesn't happen. Fang, It is your product though so it is your call as to how you want to package it.

Unless there is compelling multiple confirmed impressions that the EF-5 matches best with the HE-5, I don't see the need to do it.

However, it is your company and your product so its totally your decision to make.

Since most headphone amps can not handle it well, I am afraid of that "bright" "sharp" "crackling" will be all over the world. Actually it is very easy to increase the sensitivity if we use the other way to do the driver (like most orthor did), its sound quality will never reach HE-5 plus a well matched amp.

The future higher model will be even lower sensitivity: less sensitive than K1000.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Dec 20, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #926 of 1,668
There are 3 or 4 of us that have raised an issue (out of much more without issue) but all of us have loved the headphone for the most part. Maybe we had out of spec units, maybe not but the end result is a very impressive headphone overall even for us who found the highs too sharp. I for one found the bass to be about the best I have heard with a beautiful airy quality.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #928 of 1,668
Hmmm, that is interesting. If you were to provide the specs required as a bare minimum for people, then offered the EF-5 with the HE-5 as a package, this could work well. I still think providing an option to buy separately is excellent because some people do own amps capable of driving them.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #929 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't.

It would make them more expensive (if you want them you have to get their amp too) and somewhat exclusive (like electrostatics).

I believe HE-5/EF-5 combo is great match but not the only possible match (f.e. Skylab and his Phoenix).

Actually all 1st batch, include Skylab's unit, have 200+ hrs pre-burn-in.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Dec 20, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #930 of 1,668
Quote:

Actually all 1st batch have 200+ hrs pre-burn-in.

Now, that is some really good news... I'll definitely wait 250+ hours on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back