HE-5..initial musings
Oct 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #1,666 of 1,668

Quote:
I am thinking about doing a copper cable for my HE-5 to darken it some. Do you suggest it? Anyone has tried that?
I am using Stello DA100 with Meier Concerto

The copper cable makes a very small and subtle improvement, so the first step is to optimize your source and amp/tubes.  Prior to getting my HE-500 and HE-6 I would most often use the HE-5 with the HE-5 LE cable, and I used the HE-5 LE with the slightly brighter original HE-5 SPC cable.  I discussed the increased treble and air in the HE-5 LE with the SPC cable in my HE-5 LE review.  I did find the copper HE-5 LE cable to smooth out the highs of the HE-5, but at the expense of a tiny loss in micro-detail.  So, I'd guess that the HE-6 cable might be the best choice for it's extra micro-detail.  

I have not tried any other brand cable with the HiFiMan phones, and I'm still at a loss to explain why a cable makes a difference in the first place.  But I clearly recall how I couldn't believe it the first time I used a headphone extension cable made from Grado cable and I heard it kill the highs and micro-detail in my HD600 with APC V3 cable.  Blutarsky was there with me, and we both heard the improvement when we removed the Grado extension cable from the signal path.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #1,667 of 1,668
Hi guys I'm currently pondering if I should spring for a used HE-5 in my local area, currently its going for 300 USD. I already have the LCD2s and HE-4s so was wondering if the HE-5 would provide a different enough sonic signature to justify me buying it. Any thoughts?

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #1,668 of 1,668
A bit of a resurrection on this thread.

Quote:
I have not tried any other brand cable with the HiFiMan phones, and I'm still at a loss to explain why a cable makes a difference in the first place.  But I clearly recall how I couldn't believe it the first time I used a headphone extension cable made from Grado cable and I heard it kill the highs and micro-detail in my HD600 with APC V3 cable.  Blutarsky was there with me, and we both heard the improvement when we removed the Grado extension cable from the signal path.

Thanks for the insight. Especially considering I have been using it to tune various mods with and I need to be exacting ( or make myself believe I am that good
wink_face.gif
) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back