HE-5..initial musings
Dec 18, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #901 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Margo? Sibilant? If anybody's voice is smooth and mellow, it's hers. But I have come to doubt what I accept as the definition of sibilance after a few discussions here on that subject.

Sibilance is the turning an s into an sh. Think Sean Connery. I totally agree with you that Margo is the very definition of "smooth and mellow". It may be how she breathes, it may be how she holds a mike, it may be just her way of speech, but she often has a little sh in her s. Love her to pieces. One of my favorite artists.

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #902 of 1,668
So, are you indirectly saying that Scottish people are a Sibilant nation.
Just kidding man, and having some fun. I guess a guy named Cooter can get away with saying that.
beerchug.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #903 of 1,668
The Cowboy Junkies are one of the best-recorded bands in history. Almost every one of their recordings is reference quality (I am also a big fan of their music).

But I agree that if looking for excessive sibilance, this is not the band to use.

A great record to try is Alison Krauss & Union Station's New Favorite. Alison's vocals sibilants should NOT have painful edge to them - but with Tim's HE-5's they did. With mine, they did not.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #904 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A great record to try is Alison Krauss & Union Station's New Favorite. Alison's vocals sibilants should NOT have painful edge to them - but with Tim's HE-5's they did. With mine, they did not.

I listen to that CD a lot and have no idea what you're talking about with respect to "vocal sibilants." I also really like treble and I only listen to that CD with one of the most treble-tilted headphones in existence, the Sony Qualia 010. I'm stating this not to discredit your opinion but more to point out that what you perceive as "vocal sibilants" doesn't necessarily indicate a fact of the recording, because I hear none with my ears, preferences, and equipment. If this CD were sibilant, I'm sure I would notice it given my equipment and sonic preferences. If a headphone is rendering sibilance on that CD, I'd personally extrapolate that the headphone is adding it.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #905 of 1,668
This is our point, my pair had sharp ssssss's and ttttt's in her singing where it was considerably less on his pair and non-existent on my other headphones- D7000, MS2i, 325is, HD650 with Phoenix amp....we each heard this clearly (or sharply might be a better term).

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #906 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have already made a decision to get a Little dot MK6+ for a balanced rig. Now I read this thread and am very interested in the HE-5s(also can be balanced). I just want to know if the MK6+ can drive HE-5s well? The MK6 was designed for K1000 what I read from LD forums, I believe it has enough power.

Have waited here for some suggestion for 3 days. Anyone?
frown.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #907 of 1,668
There's been some question about the Phoenix powering the HE-5's. If we can use the EF5 as a reference (now with 200+hrs), IMO the Phoenix (balanced) does a nicer job. Comparitively, the EF5 is a little harsher and crude. The Phoenix fills out the phones with a little more headroom. It has a smoother presentation without giving up an ounce of detail.

That being said, the EF5 seems to be an outstanding value. I could easily live with the EF5/HE5 combo. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the purchase of the Phoenix for the sole reason of powering the HE5.

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #908 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Cowboy Junkies are one of the best-recorded bands in history. Almost every one of their recordings is reference quality (I am also a big fan of their music).

Totally agreed. Lay It Down is one of my desert island discs and a test disc when I think to bring it along.

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #909 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to that CD a lot and have no idea what you're talking about with respect to "vocal sibilants." I also really like treble and I only listen to that CD with one of the most treble-tilted headphones in existence, the Sony Qualia 010. I'm stating this not to discredit your opinion but more to point out that what you perceive as "vocal sibilants" doesn't necessarily indicate a fact of the recording, because I hear none with my ears, preferences, and equipment. If this CD were sibilant, I'm sure I would notice it given my equipment and sonic preferences. If a headphone is rendering sibilance on that CD, I'd personally extrapolate that the headphone is adding it.

I agree, I don't hear sibbilance in this recording either.
I think a better example of a recording with sibbilance is Diana Krall in "The Girl in the Other Room" track 6: "Love me Like a Man" (especially clear in the minute after the first 30 seconds). All the esses she pronounces in this song have that special extra sharpness/distortion in the recording.

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #910 of 1,668
But if it's in the recording, it SHOULD be produced.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #911 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if it's in the recording, it SHOULD be produced.

Yes. But some headphones have a peak in the frequency area that makes this stand out more than you would like. And since this is something that is introduced by the recording equipment (microphone) and not produced by the artist it can be quite annoying.

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #912 of 1,668
"When used correctly, equalization can make a good headphone great, and a great headphone superb."

If it is not variation in the headphones, then wouldn't it have to be differing inner ear acoustics?
From what I've read here, equalizing the headphones properly can remove "acoustic peaks" and compensate for differences in "personal resonance frequencies".

Another thing may be the amplifiers have some "under the hood" differences or defects and may not be exactly the same as they appear to be?

From what I have been able to grok from this 60-page+ thread, the HE-5s need just the right amp, and most are wrong.

That's why I bit the bullet and ordered the package; if I get lucky and find that I can drive them just as well with another amp, then maybe I can pass on part of the EF-5s discount to someone that wants to see if it eliminates the sibilance, as I understand that the EF-5 was made especially for the HE-5s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The weird thing is Skylab with the same amp hears nothing and hates sibilance per his post above. If it's the nature of the phones, that's fine and I'll move on, but others offer polar opposite opinions in what they claim to hear.

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #913 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dude you didn't read my post carefully. I *clearly* stated that with MY HE-5's there was NOTHING unnatural going on.

Also, let's be clear about two important definitions:

1. Sibilance - this is an unwanted extra sharpness
2. Sibilants - this is a function of human speech that is CONSTANTLY present. The question is whether vocal sibilants, which are always present, result in unwanted sibilance because they are not reproduced properly.

So again, I did NOT say the CD has extra sibilance, and I don't know why you posted that - I clearly said that I heard no issues on my HE-5's, but that Tim's were doing something to cause a problem that isn't there. So I do agree with you about the headphone, TIM'S, adding something. But I do wish you had read my post more carefully so you wouldn't have had to make comments about :discrediting my opinion" - since you actually agreed with my opinion
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, I don't hear sibbilance in this recording either.

Right - I don't hear it either - no EXTRA sibilance on this record- and yet with Tim's HE-5's, I did. So his have a problem.

But we all hear sibilants - if we didn't, we couldn't understand a word Alison was saying
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #915 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here here!
icon10.gif

ooops
redface.gif
Fixed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back