HE-5..initial musings
Dec 20, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #961 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miguel

I don't think you can use the Sig. to drive the HE5, as they have a common ground, and Tripath amps cannot be used with a common ground as both ground and signal channels are driven.

Perhaps if the phones were balanced, it would work fine.

Ron

Thanks for the input Ron. I was actually thinking of using the included set of connectors to have a cable builder make a 10 foot long cable terminated in the AKG 4-pin plug. Of course I will not do so if Fang indicates that doing so will damage the HE5.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #962 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
COMPLETELY agree. I have quite a few amps on which the HE-5 sound good. And I'm not the only person who thinks they do. I think it is very, very limiting to sell only the combo - much more limiting that it would be to sell the HE-5 on its own and risk a few people will match it poorly.

Just my opinion. I think most of the HE-5 owners have been happy, haven't they? Just a few haven't been? Especially after 100+ hours break in?

Hi skylab,
Have you tried the HE-5s with your Darkvoice 337?

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #963 of 1,668
No, and I don't plan to - my 337 does not like headphones of this impedance. The HE-5 sounds good with my Decware CSP-2 , my Ray Samuels Audio Stealth, and my repaired/restored Singlepower Extreme, though.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #964 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..... Of course I will not do so if Fang indicates that doing so will damage the HE5.

Good luck with trying to get an answer
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #965 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, and I don't plan to - my 337 does not like headphones of this impedance. The HE-5 sounds good with my Decware CSP-2 , my Ray Samuels Audio Stealth, and my repaired/restored Singlepower Extreme, though.

Thanks Skylab,

Ijust have no confidence if my planning little dot MK VI+ can drive it well. Otherwise I have to make another plan.
I like tube and want a balanced rig, so the MK VI+ is my best choice for amp. But HE-5s are attractive headphones, I am lost now.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #966 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=x-small]C'mon. It is easy to make cable for HE-5:

BalancedHE-51.jpg

[/size][size=x-small]
Spare connectors came with the phones. Used two runs of Canford's SQJ starquad cable. Jacketed with thinner (Y part) and thicker (from Y joint to XLR connector) cordura expandable sleeving. Used adhesive heatshrink at connectors and to make the Y joint. Neutrik NC4MXX XLR connector at headamp end (if you want SE cable use [/size]NP3X-B instead of[size=x-small] NC4MXX [/size]or make NC4FXX-NP3X adapter).
[size=x-small]
Voila - you have made yourself a 20-25€ balanced cable (materials only; without mini BNC's). Soldering of the mini BNC's was a bit dificult because of dual cables per phase. The rest - piece of cake. [/size]

That looks like a nice cable but I'm not a DIY cable guy. Regardless, curiousity got the best of me and I had to tryout the T1. I like the HE-5 but I think I might like the T1 better. If not, I won't lose anything for trying because I'm buying from TTVJ and he has a 30 day return policy.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #967 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is quite funny now that you are upset about Fang not revealing burn in hours of batch 1 vs 2. I only suggested to you about 100 times for you to burn in the cans longer and that 100 hrs isn't even close to enough time for full burn in. Read my post #741 again. Two weeks of 24/7 is absolute minimum burn in time for dynamics and orthos.

I'm glad you're amused, I'm a giver.
I thought I was comparing apples to apples (Skylab's with about 150 hours or so and mine with about 100 hours). If he though he didn't hear any difference after 100 hours (350+ in reality), then it seemed safe that mine would not change either. Since his in reality had 350 hours compared to mine with 100, that's a big difference potentially, and the test was essentially invalidated. I drove an hour to Skylab's to do this test which is part of my annoyance. Fang did suggest more burn in but never mentioned that Skylab's had so much more to start with- that's why it's relevant.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #968 of 1,668
So somehow my HE-5 has developed a crack in the wood on one of the drivers. Has anyone else had this problem? It hasn't been exposed to undue stress in any way such as dropping or rapid temp changes. This is when it really sucks to buy things from china. I've had them for 10 days and I will have to wait another 30. Anyone know how much the shipping will run?

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #969 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So somehow my HE-5 has developed a crack in the wood on one of the drivers. Has anyone else had this problem? It hasn't been exposed to undue stress in any way such as dropping or rapid temp changes. This is when it really sucks to buy things from china. I've had them for 10 days and I will have to wait another 30. Anyone know how much the shipping will run?

I'd try to have the item returned with head-direct bearing the shipping costs as you got a defective item.

Is it a big crack? can you post pics?

My only complaint with the HE-5 was the headband, which needed to be thicker and sturdier as the cups and the drivers weigh a lot and so they tend to bend the headband a bit too much.

On my HE-5 when i had them, the small piece with the 'L' and 'R' indication on either side came off when dBel84 had them for a while. However no big deal, we just stuck it back on.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #970 of 1,668
Quote:

From Connecticut? <$10 if you ship USPS.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #971 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd try to have the item returned with head-direct bearing the shipping costs as you got a defective item.

Is it a big crack? can you post pics?

My only complaint with the HE-5 was the headband, which needed to be thicker and sturdier as the cups and the drivers weigh a lot and so they tend to bend the headband a bit too much.

On my HE-5 when i had them, the small piece with the 'L' and 'R' indication on either side came off when dBel84 had them for a while. However no big deal, we just stuck it back on.

My L/H knob is loose know so I have to look forward in playing "hunt the knob"? Great.....

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #972 of 1,668
Quote:

It's wood. Same thing happens with wooden grado's.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #973 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If a stable grain is selected, and after the cure the wood is quinced...it won't crack or at least resist cracking much better! Humidity and other issues will tug on wood grains...."It's wood" isn't an excuse...just a reason that it CAN happen.....

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #974 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Correct, plus we do not know how was the transition from China to here. If the cabin of the aircraft did not have the temperature controlled ...

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #975 of 1,668
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct, plus we do not know how was the transition from China to here. If the cabin of the aircraft did not have the temperature controlled ...

A frozen under-belly....OH NO!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back