HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison
Jan 31, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #271 of 352
  They do put out more power than the Vali but the pairing might not be good with the HE4. Who knows where the head-fier was coming from, for all we know a darth beyer, but he said that the HE400 sounded harsh/bright with the Magni. Just a thought, not saying it wouldn't work or won't pair well. You could always return it with Schiit's 2 returns per year policy.

How on earth do those things sound? I got offered one for me DT 880... I didn't do the trade as I have and already paid about $600 for a modded D2k [Cups Pads Cable] no need for two bass heavy wood backs thank you 

I hope I didn't sound biased towards the HE-4. They are the only good headphone I have ever owned and I have only had them for about 1 day lol. I was just putting in my 2 cents. I didn't get that the guy already had an amp/dac combo that wasn't suited to power the HE-4 like the Project Ember can. I think in this case waiting for the new hifiman headphones might be a good idea since he might have the right gear to power them. We just have to wait and see what they sound like and what amp can drive them. 

... The HE 4 out of a Project Ember? Does the ember really have the current to drive the HE 4 :O

Either way, kinda glad I have my NFB 10ES2 <3 nothing like 6w into 32ohms 

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #272 of 352
What are some drawbacks to speaker amps?

I have decided on http://www.head-fi.org/products/emotiva-mini-x-a-100 for my needs. It will fit my rig fairly well I would assume. 

My setup:
HD 650
HE-4
Modi
Emotiva Mini 
T50RP Maddog
Miles Davis Copper Turbines. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #273 of 352
As my HE-6 manual explicitly states and as people I know have confirmed not all speaker amps play nice with the HE-6.  With some brands the higher power brings background hum/hiss.  The only way to know is to try it or base yourself on a reviewer whom you trust.  And there are the obvious inconveniences of either having to be extremely careful with the volume dial (check the HE-6 thread, there are a couple of examples of people who didn't believe there's something like too much of a good thing and  blew a driver).  My 'manual' (small booklet that came with the headphones) says it can be done theoretically but that the amp should not deliver more than 70 W into 8 Ohms.  You can do all kinds of stuff like adding resistors etc but I wonder to what extent that negates the purpose and degrades the signal.

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #274 of 352
  .... if you're looking for cans that work very well with all genres but especially with classical and are less analytical and a bit less resolving than the Senn HD-800 (listen to less than pristine recordings on the 800 and you'll know what I mean) you can't go wrong with the HE-6.

The same can be said about the HE4 although the HE6 is a technically superior HP without a doubt. $700 is a smokin price!

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #275 of 352
  How on earth do those things sound? I got offered one for me DT 880... I didn't do the trade as I have and already paid about $600 for a modded D2k [Cups Pads Cable] no need for two bass heavy wood backs thank you 

Darth Beyers? I have no idea but from the name I would think BASS then the mids and highs as an afterthought lol, I don't know.

When I had my 250 pro I looked into the closed-back dt880 thread and saw the bass claims. I was tempted but was just starting out in the hobby at the time so I didn't want to ruin my first new HP. I will say this, the HE4 mod is not as hard nor does it require materials like the closed back DT880 mods. If you like that DT880 treble, you might prefer the stock HE4 however.

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #278 of 352
  I feel like if you are raising the volume that high on your hps, the first thing that should pop is your ear drums.

Not if you use your HE-6 as mini-speakers.  Don't laugh, there are people who do exactly that.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #280 of 352

... The HE 4 out of a Project Ember? Does the ember really have the current to drive the HE 4 :O

Either way, kinda glad I have my NFB 10ES2 <3 nothing like 6w into 32ohms

Plenty. I've read a lot of positive things with the HE-6 on Ember as well, though I haven't ever tried the HE-6. You will have no issues with your AudioGD.
  What are some drawbacks to speaker amps?

I have decided on http://www.head-fi.org/products/emotiva-mini-x-a-100 for my needs. It will fit my rig fairly well I would assume.

My setup:
HD 650
HE-4
Modi
Emotiva Mini
T50RP Maddog
Miles Davis Copper Turbines.

If you want an amp for all those cans, don't get the Emotiva. It will likely blow your Turbines up, haha. If you are on a strict budget and you just need something to power the HE-4, the Emotiva is a great choice.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #282 of 352
  Darth Beyers? I have no idea but from the name I would think BASS then the mids and highs as an afterthought lol, I don't know.

When I had my 250 pro I looked into the closed-back dt880 thread and saw the bass claims. I was tempted but was just starting out in the hobby at the time so I didn't want to ruin my first new HP. I will say this, the HE4 mod is not as hard nor does it require materials like the closed back DT880 mods. If you like that DT880 treble, you might prefer the stock HE4 however.

YUP I like the stock DT 880 treble, so let's keep it as is

guys q.q I had a dream about buying the HE 4 today *sniff* *sniff* it'll b here monday 

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #283 of 352
  Should be fine for the HD 650 though right? The  emotiva mini is only 50 watts.

It will work ok, but I wouldn't recommend it. My Emotiva had a channel imbalance issue if the knob was below 8:30. HD600's never got the knob passed 8:30, so the right channel was always louder. Adding resistors fixed the problem though... Still, I would recommend a headphone amplifier first.
  YUP I like the stock DT 880 treble, so let's keep it as is

guys q.q I had a dream about buying the HE 4 today *sniff* *sniff* it'll b here monday

Hahaha

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #284 of 352

It will work ok, but I wouldn't recommend it. My Emotiva had a channel imbalance issue if the knob was below 8:30. HD600's never got the knob passed 8:30, so the right channel was always louder. Adding resistors fixed the problem though... Still, I would recommend a headphone amplifier first.

Hahaha

You could always buy a Balanced Audio GD Amp, they work well to power most headphones, minus elctro stats 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back