HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison
Jan 31, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #286 of 352
So I should just keep my FiioE09K for my HD 650's and use the emotiva for the HE-4 and w/e else I buy hifiman

that might be best the E09k is an Amp/Dac right? you should be able to use the line out from the Dac portion of the E09k to feed into the Emotiva, there are 3.5mm to RCA cables, and I would hope the Emotiva has an RCA in 

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #287 of 352
So I should just keep my FiioE09K for my HD 650's and use the emotiva for the HE-4 and w/e else I buy hifiman

Sell the FiiO and get a Project Ember for everything
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #288 of 352

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #289 of 352
  that might be best the E09k is an Amp/Dac right? you should be able to use the line out from the Dac portion of the E09k to feed into the Emotiva, there are 3.5mm to RCA cables, and I would hope the Emotiva has an RCA in 

E09K is not a DAC, it just works as an amp, you have to use it in conjunction with the FiiO E17.  For the price it's not bad, I still have it but rarely use it nowadays.  I never heard the HD-650 and for sure the Emotiva has a lot of power for it and there's an impedance mismatch as it's nominally 300 Ohm (but being a dynamic headphone this may drastically increase at certain frequencies), my HD-800 is also 300 Ohm but it goes up to 700-800 over the band.

As for safety of driving it over the Emotiva:  provided it matches well with that amp (sound quality) then I think there's little danger if you're VERY careful with the volume.  As you rightly remarked, your eardrums will go before a driver does.  Also, only connect them to the amp AFTER it's been switched on, don't just leave them connected as a power-up peak could cause damage.  That's just my 2 cents worth, I don't own either the Emotiva (not a fan of using speaker amps to drive headphones) nor the HD-800.

As to the project Ember, no experience there, personally I'm not a fan of hybrid SS/tube designs but that's just a question of preference.  What I use (apart from my V800/V200 SS combo) to drive my HE-6 is a Darkvoice 337 tube amp, that's a dual mono design I purchased used 6 weeks back, never thought it would work well (power) with the HE-6 frankly.  My 337 was modified and the maker doesn't specify precise power output figures, I posted about my astonishment in the 337 thread here.  Then I mailed the company and asked, turned out that one of the headphones they used while designing it was...the AKG K-1000, which must be THE most inefficient design ever produced, at 74 dB sensitivity.  Anyway, my point is that if you want a relatively cheap used system that'll drive both your HifiMan and Senn cans nicely then it's worth checking out e-bay.  Just be careful if you want to use it to drive low impedance dynamic cans, not sure if it plays nicely with them due to the output impedance mismatch.  But I can testify that it works very well with my HifiMan  HE-500, HE-6 and the Senn HD-800.  And you have more tube rolling options than with the ember.

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #290 of 352
  E09K is not a DAC, it just works as an amp, you have to use it in conjunction with the FiiO E17.  For the price it's not bad, I still have it but rarely use it nowadays.  I never heard the HD-650 and for sure the Emotiva has a lot of power for it and there's an impedance mismatch as it's nominally 300 Ohm (but being a dynamic headphone this may drastically increase at certain frequencies), my HD-800 is also 300 Ohm but it goes up to 700-800 over the band.

As for safety of driving it over the Emotiva:  provided it matches well with that amp (sound quality) then I think there's little danger if you're VERY careful with the volume.  As you rightly remarked, your eardrums will go before a driver does.  Also, only connect them to the amp AFTER it's been switched on, don't just leave them connected as a power-up peak could cause damage.  That's just my 2 cents worth, I don't own either the Emotiva (not a fan of using speaker amps to drive headphones) nor the HD-800.

As to the project Ember, no experience there, personally I'm not a fan of hybrid SS/tube designs but that's just a question of preference.  What I use (apart from my V800/V200 SS combo) to drive my HE-6 is a Darkvoice 337 tube amp, that's a dual mono design I purchased used 6 weeks back, never thought it would work well (power) with the HE-6 frankly.  My 337 was modified and the maker doesn't specify precise power output figures, I posted about my astonishment in the 337 thread here.  Then I mailed the company and asked, turned out that one of the headphones they used while designing it was...the AKG K-1000, which must be THE most inefficient design ever produced, at 74 dB sensitivity.  Anyway, my point is that if you want a relatively cheap used system that'll drive both your HifiMan and Senn cans nicely then it's worth checking out e-bay.  Just be careful if you want to use it to drive low impedance dynamic cans, not sure if it plays nicely with them due to the output impedance mismatch.  But I can testify that it works very well with my HifiMan  HE-500, HE-6 and the Senn HD-800.  And you have more tube rolling options than with the ember.

Oh yea yea yea yea, the E09k OH that, wow it's been a while since Fiio Did a desktop amp huh. I forget about the E09k tbh! 

That said I too prefer solid states

as for what Dac to get, the Audio GD Dacs are nice. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #291 of 352

Sell the FiiO and get a Project Ember for everything :D

Seriously. He's not kidding and he's right. I own a Project Sunrise II that I built myself and have to say (with some bias of course) holy cow. The Garage1217 amps are amazing. I can't wait to build a solid state. 

Also, I can't decide whether to buy the HE-4 and sell my HE-400's or wait for the 400i's to come out.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #292 of 352
If you find a used 4 for a good price and have the amp for it, go for it. Thing is, the 400i sounds like its goiny to be a very different signature than the 4. So it'll still all come down to personal preference in the end. Only time will tell, but for me, so far the 4 is great, its the mix between planar and grado that I was looking for. Don't know really what the 400i is aimed at, but supposedly more towards the 500 signature from the last thing I read, but its still all speculation and it'll be months before we get honest reviews. So, if you can't wait, find a 4 and enjoy it for a while. If you have patience, wait for the new hfms and wait a few months until there are more unbiased reviews.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #293 of 352
If you find a used 4 for a good price and have the amp for it, go for it. Thing is, the 400i sounds like its goiny to be a very different signature than the 4. So it'll still all come down to personal preference in the end. Only time will tell, but for me, so far the 4 is great, its the mix between planar and grado that I was looking for. Don't know really what the 400i is aimed at, but supposedly more towards the 500 signature from the last thing I read, but its still all speculation and it'll be months before we get honest reviews. So, if you can't wait, find a 4 and enjoy it for a while. If you have patience, wait for the new hfms and wait a few months until there are more unbiased reviews.

+1, wait for the new cans to come out and for some actual plain Joe users to review it, don't just go by the usual commercial reviews.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #294 of 352
  Seriously. He's not kidding and he's right. I own a Project Sunrise II that I built myself and have to say (with some bias of course) holy *****. The Garage1217 amps are amazing. I can't wait to build a solid state. 

Also, damnit. I can't decide whether to buy the HE-4 and sell my HE-400's or wait for the 400i's to come out.

Garage1217 is coming out with a solid state amp in April 
biggrin.gif
. Same output stage as Ember, so it's gonna have quite a bit of power.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #295 of 352
fourth and not the last hifiman to join, one left, new one came. He4 needed a baby brother...

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #297 of 352
Nope, i traded my re400 for some re-262s, yet another hfm discontinued model. GREAT mids.

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #298 of 352
  Nope, i traded my re400 for some re-262s, yet another hfm discontinued model. GREAT mids.

Oh nice! I just sold me RE400 too, after sending it back for warranty repair and getting a new replacement. I moved onto Creative Aurvana 3 which I scooped on sale for $60. Sound sig reminds me of the HE500 in many ways.

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #299 of 352
The 400s are great, just to neutral for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back