HE-400/HE-300 vs Sennheiser HD650/HD600
Mar 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #31 of 59

Quote:
Well that sounds convincing. I guess i could give it a try but i'm not really sure.
If i can return them I guess I have nothing to loose.
Do 320kbps files still sound good or not?
I don't have a DAC/amp at all but I do plan to buy one sometime so if my zune can run it till then it'd be great.

With wich DAPs can you run these cans?

High bitrate MP3's still sound great of course, I'm just saying that these really retrieve some fine details and nuances out of good lossless music that you would not otherwise hear with lesser headphones.

As for which DAPs could run it and which could not, it's all relative. For example my Sony walkman MP3 player could drive it to my ideal listening volume at 70% volume bar, and the dynamics are great. Of course there are some much more expensive audiophile DAPs out there but really it makes more sense to just get a portable amplifier if you're thinking of listening to these on-the-go.

As for DAC/amps, these will run great out of almost anything (I'm powering mine out of a FiiO E7 DAC/amp right now) and apparently scale well too, so you'll hear your DAC and/or amp's worth if you're driving these out of expensive ones.

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #32 of 59
As far the HD600/HD650 comparison, as said above, it's mostly personal preference.  They are both very detailed, but the HD600 has a bit more air in the top end, IMO.  If you are looking for a good trance can with warm bass, you might also consider the HD598.  It's got a similar pedigree to the HD600, but the bass is slightly warmer and thicker.

None of the above Sennheisers will run well straight out of a DAP.  They need a headphone amplifier.  The HE300/HE400 will run well direct though, especially the HE300.  The HE300 is one of the best cans I've heard in that price range without a dedicated amplifier.

May 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #33 of 59
i had a fiio e17 with hd650's and it was good but got a o2 amp and thats a great deal better, the he400 are planer which as i understand it a cross between electrostatic/dynamic drivers so will probably need a amp with a big voltage swing the hd650 are more efficient db wise even though their 300 ohms so i would suspect the he400 need a big desktop amp.

May 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:
i had a fiio e17 with hd650's and it was good but got a o2 amp and thats a great deal better, the he400 are planer which as i understand it a cross between electrostatic/dynamic drivers so will probably need a amp with a big voltage swing the hd650 are more efficient db wise even though their 300 ohms so i would suspect the he400 need a big desktop amp.

No, the HE400s are EXTREMELY efficient as planars; any portable headphone amp will drive it sufficiently well. In fact decent DAPs can drive it moderately well even without amping. Also, it is very forgiving in terms of amps and even out of cheap ones, it is a very balanced and dynamic sound.

On the contrary, HD650s perform poorly unless driven by very high-end amps.

Times have changed.

(for instance, I'm driving my pair of HE400s out of a measly FiiO E7, at vol 35 it's already very loud)

May 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #36 of 59
May 29, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #38 of 59
Quote:
why does the he-600 require a special amp when its only 12ohms greater impendance than yours? or are missing something?

HD650s tend to sound boring and rolled-off with suboptimal amplification, and requires really good amps to shine. With a cheap amp, HE-400 outperforms HD650 in most areas considerably. It is not just about volume in this case, so numbers about impedance/sensitivity are irrelevant.

But again, the HE-400s are driven sufficiently AND driven well out of just about any small amp, period.

May 29, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #40 of 59
Quote:
probably not a proper planer. electrostatic need volts not something the e7 or e17 can do my hd650's need a bigger amp as well. ps stop using CAPITALS it makes my eyes bleed.

Improper punctuation / spelling and lack of capitalization make my eyes bleed, bro.

As for "probably not a proper planer", honestly stop trolling. It's a full-sized headphone with full orthodynamic a.k.a. planar magnetic drivers, and it is efficient. Deal with it.

May 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #41 of 59
Its at a long list of failed cans,
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Orthodynamic_Headphones_Rating_Chart
P.S
Understand Electrostatics and Orthodontics.
P.P.S.
The He400 doesnt feature only the HE5-LE.

May 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #42 of 59
Quote:
Its at a long list of failed cans,
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Orthodynamic_Headphones_Rating_Chart
P.S
Understand Electrostatics and Orthodontics.
P.P.S.
The He400 doesnt feature only the HE5-LE.

That page was last updated September of last year. HE-400s were announced at CES January of this year, and released after.

You're a funny kid.

May 29, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #44 of 59
Quote:
Does that mean the he-400 are proper electrostatic/dynamic drivers there still not in the list. PS im not a kid im 43. You obviously love reading official specs.

It's no rocket science. Metal tracings on a large flat diaphragm with two panels of magnet bars sandwiching the diaphragm, current goes through the tracings and the planar magnetic field induces vibrations of the diaphragm, producing sound. Most people who have at any point gotten interested in planar mag cans know this.

Really not sure what you're desperately trying to defend here but I honestly don't want to continue this pointless argument full of reciprocating ad hominem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back