HE-400/HE-300 vs Sennheiser HD650/HD600
Feb 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #17 of 59
I'm about to recieve my HE300's in the mail and I've heard HD650/HD600s so I might be able to give you a decent idea of how they compare. IMO the HE300s seem like such a steal for the price ($200-300) and they're easy to drive to boot, but if you can spend $400 the HD650s are a great set of cans.

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #18 of 59
HD650 will give you smoother sound with fuller midrange and more 3D soundstage

HE400 has more v-shape sound compare to HD650, and for med-high volume I can sense sibilant much easier, HE400's bass has about same quantity compare to HD650.

With proper amp, I'll take HD650, but unfortunetly I never tried E9 to both of them.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #19 of 59
Though HE-300 is not planar magnetic it is dynamic. But I have heard that it is amazing.
I can't wait to hear from you about the comparisons. 
I am currently aiming for the HE-400. With E9 + E17 Alpen combo.

I use ATH-M50 when I study or travel.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #23 of 59
I'm not sure if the HE-500 are the same as the 300/400 except for the weight. 

If they are, the Senns are more comfortable in my opinion. Maybe the HE's will get better after I've worn them for some time but I definitely prefer the HD650's when it comes to comfort.

As the poster above me said, they have even more clamp than the Senns too. 

You could probably bend the headband a little bit to make them more comfortable though, I haven't tried yet. 

Quote:
How comfortable are 300/400?

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #24 of 59
I bought the HD650 a month ago due to all the recommendations on head-fi, and I can honestly say that there's a reason these are so recommended in the mid-fi range of this hobby. They are so good at being all-rounders! I use them to play games on my PC, listen to a lot of EDM (used to be a lot of trance but I'm into house now), 80's rock, classical, etc. the list goes on and they've been very good at it all. I'm only powering them through an E10 as well so even at max settings I know I'm not getting their full potential. They're also super comfortable... eh you don't really understand until you put them on I guess.

I'm on the second batch pre-order for the HE-400's and my E17 as well, so within a week or two I will have all of the items which you are contemplating on purchasing and will provide you feedback. I'm just saying that this HE-400 better be something special to replace the HD650 as my go-to headphones when I get home. I only ordered them because I wanted to hear how orthos sounded.

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #26 of 59
Anyone got more to say about the HE-400's? I'm interested in them.
I really don't know if I should buy some closed 150$ headphones for on the road first and later lister to some high end head phones.
Or just try my luck and order the HE-400's without having listened to them (or any other hi-end headphone)

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #27 of 59

Quote:
Anyone got more to say about the HE-400's? I'm interested in them.
I really don't know if I should buy some closed 150$ headphones for on the road first and later lister to some high end head phones.
Or just try my luck and order the HE-400's without having listened to them (or any other hi-end headphone)

Head over to the HE400 thread if you want to read lots of impressions. So far no comprehensive comparisons are done between them and the HD6X0's though.

Generally the consensus is that it has terrific bass (tight, fast, very even across the bass frequency range, very textured, packs a punch, and no bleed into mids at all) much better than the Senns, its treble is debatable (some such as me like it, some hate it) but certainly extremely detailed and revealing, the mids are not warm nor cold, fairly even overall with a little funkiness in terms of peaks. The overall presentation is more forward than the Senns which are known to be laid back, speed is fantastic and so is imaging (it is planar magnetic after all), soundstage is fairly small but sound is very open and airy.

With a good portable DAP, you could drive them surprisingly well. Keyword is 'good', crappy DAPs won't power it to your satisfaction.

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #29 of 59

Quote:
Do you think a Zune HD could drive it decently? I've heard good things about the amp in it. 

Possibly. I don't know too much about Zune DAPs but really, HiFiMan offers 30-day no questions asked refund policy on all of its products, you're best off just getting em and see if you love them, if not you just lose a bit of shipping fees. That's much better than spending all this time reading others' subjective experiences with the cans. Personally I really enjoy them, I think they are quite picky in terms of music source quality (I hear a very significant difference between FLAC and 320kbps MP3 with these, which was not at all apparent with the AudioTechnica M50's I have prior), and they are down-right pleasure to listen to with very well-recorded lossless jazz and electronica music.

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #30 of 59
Well that sounds convincing. I guess i could give it a try but i'm not really sure.
If i can return them I guess I have nothing to loose.
Do 320kbps files still sound good or not?
I don't have a DAC/amp at all but I do plan to buy one sometime so if my zune can run it till then it'd be great.

With wich DAPs can you run these cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back