HD800 Price Hike
Jan 28, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #61 of 94
Oh God, he reviews audio equipment now too?  I guess it was part of his work before he started the cash cow known as kenrockwell.com...

Actually, taken in context, his reviews are interesting at least.  He does indeed have a huge effect on prices in the used market however - whenever he reviews a particular old lens or camera system, I see the prices rise accordingly...

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #63 of 94

Ha, you American have never seen an unjustified price difference before you see a

2,149.00 EUR

=

2,924.47 USD

Grado PS1000

Maybe not with headphones, but try buying European car parts in the US. Ouch.

Though the Japanese understand this problem - you can keep a Honda or Toyota on the road for about the same as a Ford or Chevy.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #65 of 94
That really is a SIGNIFICANT price increase!  As far as Senns, guess I'll stick with Cardas cabled 600 & 650.
Besides, I have moved away from dynamics and find that stats and orthos are more my sound signature.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #66 of 94
Two available!
http://compare.ebay.com/like/120675031864?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=204754164613&crlp=1_263602_309572&UA=%3F*F%3F&GUID=3d88042a12d0a06c6f613a01ffc3f02c&itemid=120675031864&ff4=263602_309572

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #69 of 94

Quote:
Ken Rockwell is probably responsible.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

Check out his updates from the 24th of January.

"m not an audiophile. Audiophiles love audio and equipment, but rarely music. An audiophile is someone who can't listen for more than a few minutes before stopping to change capacitors or swap cables. Audiophiles spend more on equipment than they spend on music and concerts. They will own dozens of different headphones, cables and amplifiers, and receive their pleasure from fiddling with all this gear. Audiophiles listen to their gear, instead of the music. Audiophiles just as often are listening to recordings of thunderstorms or locomotives, while I, as one professional studio musician shared with me, enjoy great music even if it's coming over a 3" speaker. I know good reproduction, but it's ultimately all about the music, not the hardware. If I let myself get caught up in the hardware, I'd have no time to enjoy music." 

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #70 of 94

Quote:
Kinda funny all those people who, at the release, ranted they would be selling for well under a thousand dollars with in six months.

Well, it is built to an entirely different standard.  The cost of manufacture is much higher, given the complexity and quality of finish of the numerous different parts.  The HD 600/650 are much simpler in comparison, and their tooling costs have long been paid for.

Quote:
Quote:
Ken Rockwell is probably responsible.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

Check out his updates from the 24th of January.

"m not an audiophile. Audiophiles love audio and equipment, but rarely music. An audiophile is someone who can't listen for more than a few minutes before stopping to change capacitors or swap cables. Audiophiles spend more on equipment than they spend on music and concerts. They will own dozens of different headphones, cables and amplifiers, and receive their pleasure from fiddling with all this gear. Audiophiles listen to their gear, instead of the music. Audiophiles just as often are listening to recordings of thunderstorms or locomotives, while I, as one professional studio musician shared with me, enjoy great music even if it's coming over a 3" speaker. I know good reproduction, but it's ultimately all about the music, not the hardware. If I let myself get caught up in the hardware, I'd have no time to enjoy music." 

You'd think that if he read as many reviews as he claimed, he would have gotten the LCD-2 instead based on the flavor he wants...

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #71 of 94
He probably doesn't like the 800s too much because he is running them out of an audio jack from his cd player or the computer output because he is so interested in the straight music not the sound quality he is getting from the 800's.  sheeesh!

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #72 of 94
I suspect that the main reason why the price hike occurred is because of the steep rise in the price of rare earth metals (especially neodymium, which is used in virtually all dynamic driver transducers).

Neodymium prices have quadrupled in the past year alone, and are still going up drastically because China is limiting its output of the metal (China controls roughly 90% of the world's rare earth metal output).

So I think this has less to do with marking prices up artificially than with real price changes in essential materials needed for the production of the headphone.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #73 of 94
Neodymium is really quite cheap considering the quantities necessary for headphones, less than $100/kg, and that's buying retail.
Considering the quantity of Neodymium a headphones uses (a few dozen grams at the very most), Neodymium does contribute much to the price of the HD800.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #74 of 94
Quote:
He probably doesn't like the 800s too much because he is running them out of an audio jack from his cd player or the computer output because he is so interested in the straight music not the sound quality he is getting from the 800's.  sheeesh!

That bothered me too, no information about his set up. For your information, some CD-players are better than you would expect them to be as integrated components. Even so a separate amplifier is usually better for the extra power. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #75 of 94

Quote:
Deep Funk said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
dallan said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

That bothered me too, no information about his set up. For your information, some CD-players are better than you would expect them to be as integrated components. Even so a separate amplifier is usually better for the extra power. 

He states it right here:

Quote:
Most of my listening was directly with a Sony CDP-X303ES Compact Disc player, whose professional ¼" headphone jack has more than enough guts to drive these well. While audiophiles listen to whatever life hands them, I personally ran the proof-of-performance on this player with a borrowed $50,000 ROHDE & SCHWARZ UPL with its optional high-performance analog circuits (that's a benefit of having worked for Tektronix). I know my player is giving me what's on the glass master; do you?
The Sony CDP-X303ES has a 56 Ohm build-out resistor from its dedicated internal headphone amplifier. This would drop the overall level about 1dB with a resistive 300 Ohm load.

The HD 800's actual impedance is about 300 Ohms at DC, then a broad peak of around 650 Ohms around 120 cps, about 350 Ohms at 1 kc, a broad minimum of about 325 Ohms in the upper midrange, and a gradually rising impedance in the treble at about 375 Ohms at 15 kc. The effect of the 56 Ohm series resistor in the Sony CDP-X303ES is to alter response, relative to 1kc, by +0.5 dB at 120 cps, -0.1 dB in the upper midrange, and +0.1 dB at 15 kc. Therefore, used with this headphone amplifier with what seems like significant output impedance, it actually helped sculpt the response in favor of the HD 800.

Used with a amplifier with a lower output impedance, which is usually the case, the brightness I heard should become worse. In any case, fractions of decibels are usually inaudible, and in this case, are actually making the HD 800 sound better.

That isn't a typical CD player...

But then he goes on to say this:

Quote:
Forgive my simple English, but the soundstage sounds the same to me as every other headphone.

I think too many people read too much into Sennheiser's description of angled drivers, and start imagining things. That's OK, since enjoying music is all about closing your eyes and imagining things, just that I'm imagining other things.

I prefer the sound I get from headphones over what I get from loudspeakers. I love headphones, and usually have my ESL-63s, B&W 801s or the M&K speakers I use on my desk with my computer just a few feet from my ears in a reverse ORTF configuration to eliminate the sound of my room. I want to hear the space in which the performers were recorded, not the acoustics of my own room.

Which definitely is not my experience at all...  Of course, then he says,

Quote:
The HD 800 is a couple of decibels (a little) more sensitive than my 600 Ohm Beyer DT 990, mostly due to the extra upper midrange coming from the HD 800.

If listening to an iPod Touch, I often have the gain (volume) set to full-crank with classical music, or backed-off a little with squashed-to-0-dBFS popular music recordings. Most people, myself included, would like it to get a bit louder with an iPod, but I'm happy with it as-is, instead of wanting to carry more hardware just to listen to music.

With a Sony CDP-X303ES Compact Disc player, there is more than enough gain to make myself as deaf as I'd like from its headphone jack.

:-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back