HD800 Price Hike
Feb 7, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #91 of 94

Quote:
Quote:
I just haggled Lookat in the EU down to £698 UK ($1124) shipped for the HD800 (brand new boxed), just got tracking info from them!!

-Raja

and more than likely now you will get them kicked out of Sennheiser for selling below list. Nice guy the did you a favor and you post where Senn can see. Nice guy

Seeing as we're making assumptions on what's going to happen - Maybe when Sennheiser see how "nice" you are they'll send you a free pair.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #92 of 94

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"m not an audiophile. Audiophiles love audio and equipment, but rarely music. An audiophile is someone who can't listen for more than a few minutes before stopping to change capacitors or swap cables. Audiophiles spend more on equipment than they spend on music and concerts. They will own dozens of different headphones, cables and amplifiers, and receive their pleasure from fiddling with all this gear. Audiophiles listen to their gear, instead of the music. Audiophiles just as often are listening to recordings of thunderstorms or locomotives, while I, as one professional studio musician shared with me, enjoy great music even if it's coming over a 3" speaker. I know good reproduction, but it's ultimately all about the music, not the hardware. If I let myself get caught up in the hardware, I'd have no time to enjoy music." 

This is dead-on. Nobody can dispute these claims. I think we at Head-Fi have proven this, spending tens of thousands of dollars, getting as far away from the intent of the music as possible, in order to hear differences in equipment. It's like I just looked in the mirror and saw clearly what I have been doing for the last 15 years. I feel the skin on my face burning.

For about a year I have been involved in the audio gear consumerism rat race. I hope to end that race within a few months so I can really focus on the music. The learning process is worth it though...

So very true - I've only been with Head-Fi for about 2 and a half years- the first year spent reading the threads and starting to test the waters.  The past year has seen me on a spending frenzy, but now I believe I can slow down, and really start listening to my purchases. No more heavy buying - time to selland reduce my collection so that I can now concentrate on the music as I head towards retirement.  It's been quite the ride, but I've enjoyed every minute!

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #93 of 94
Personally, since buying my LCD-2, 100% of my audio spending has been on music, 0% on equipment... which is a big part why I haven't been posting much here lately.

I kind of want a second high-end set (probably an HD800) for my desktop (which is using an internal sound card; I could never get over the "extra box" thing there)... but I'm OK with moving the LCD between that and my stereo and having "just" a SA5K hooked up to the desktop here when I can't be bothered to move the LCD-2.

edit:
It is a Xonar STX (with a built-in headphone amp), but I don't feel like opening that can of worms right now.
There's no doubt that my stereo rig is better, but I just don't like having an extra box by my already bulky PC and crowded desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back