HD800 Listening Experience with different amps & sources
Jul 19, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #31 of 74
Nice read...thanks for your review!
I think most people will be waiting into August for the BA.
The new transformers are a must as I think I'm one of the few who has heard it and it's definitely a no-brainer.
I think most if not everyone is getting them so not sure if that puts you back in the Q...at this point, think it's just waiting for them to be built and delivered.

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #32 of 74
This review is ridiculous...ly well written!
tongue.gif

Thanks!

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #33 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baimi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@feifan:

I guess every person differs in the type of SQ they prefer, because the person who was kind enough to let me audition his HD800 tried to pair it with the Phonitor. Perhaps the source he tried at the audio store wasn't good enough but he didn't like the combination because he felt the sound he was hearing from the HD800 through Phonitor was too analytical and cold. I have no doubt that Phonitor is an excellent choice as a candidate, but I am just saying that perhaps the combination just might not be for everyone. For what it's worth, my preferences tend to tip towards warmth and smoothness over resolution and accuracy.

Just my 2 cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

Baimi, thanks for the heads up! I've never heard the Phonitor and am basing my impressions on reviews and comments in Head-fi and in other online sources. Your warning makes the red flags I've been seeing all the more glaring. Do you disagree, then, with Francis's observations re the Phonitor and HD800 synergy? At least two other Head-fiers have had less than glowing results from their tests of the combo, and yours adds a third.

I like both sides of the 'phones coin -- warm/deep and analytical/airy -- but my tastes tend toward the latter. But I still want the analytical to be musical as well as accurate and dynamically revealing. A deep, quick, punchy bass has to be in the mix, too.

You've given me more food for thought before making a decision. I feel as though I'm standing on the threshold between SE and balanced, and considering my needs, preferences, and wallet, I'm not sure if I'll be able to jump on to the balanced bandwagon.

Thus, the Phonitor looks good to me. But I'm taking your caution under advisement and giving my decision further thought.

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #34 of 74
Hi, I heard the hd800 with the phonitor and with the black cube linear. I personally preferred the black cube but it might also be very source dependant. also the black cube does not have all the special crossfeed/speaker futures. I still think the phonitor is a rather good match with the hd800.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #36 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear John,

Glad that you like it. I do agree the HD800 I have may not be in the best form and hopefully when I have mine on hand I can revisit these impressions after a full burn-in. Not sure how many hours will that take though. I presume 500 should be a good estimate ?

Let me know if you want to know about the CDs. There have been a rush of newer CDs which sounds very nice. HQCD is getting hot now and they are pretty good. I have yet to try Blue-Ray CDs as I do not have a compatible player. There are also SHMCDs and not to mention the Ultimate Disc that FIM is now launching..... But for remastering technology, I still think the K2 HD has an leading edge.

F. Lo

It seems you have a much better source for music in HK then around here. Even going on the web I pull up HK for Clear Audio etc but nothing semi local and nothing at Acoustic Sounds, though I could have overlooked something.

I guess I will have to move to HK. :^) I have the K2 sampler and it is excellent. Though well played and a warhorse of sort, the 8 Seasons on K2 is something I would like to get.

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #39 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I heard the hd800 with the phonitor and with the black cube linear. I personally preferred the black cube but it might also be very source dependant. also the black cube does not have all the special crossfeed/speaker futures. I still think the phonitor is a rather good match with the hd800.
Greetings, Anouk,

Hey, Anouk. Following your tip, I found and read Vade Forrester's February 2005 review of the Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear Headphone Amplifier, which was going for a little more than a third of the cost of the Phonitor. What's interesting is that the HD800 doesn't seem to be price conscious. You'd think high-end 'phones would be cozier with high-end playmates, but this doesn't seem to be the case. If the HD800 synergizes, it seems to do so regardless of pricetag. Rich man, poor man, doesn't matter. She'll go out with you as long as you get along.

But I think you're right. The end result, SQ, really depends on everything.

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #41 of 74
Thank you for the thoughtful and well considered review! I'm still surprised at how much the HD-800 changes depending on what amp you plug it into - these are amazingly sensitive headphones.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #44 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa....some of the best review I've read on this site so far. Great job man. I really enjoy your HD800s and Qualia comparison.

me too!

this comparison somewhat matches with what i experienced at last listening to both cans, Qualia do have some domain of bass, speed, detail etc. that cannot be challenged by HD800

Francis, the good job you done is appreciated

DSC01667.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back