HD800 Listening Experience with different amps & sources
Jul 19, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #16 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for taking the time to post your listening impressions, Francis. Nice read.

I think you've underscored the main thing often forgotten, is that we are never just listening to a single component, but an entire system. Headphone, source, amp, tubes (if applicable), IC's, other tweaks. And, as in life, finding the right match takes more effort than simply plugging into a hole. Change one or two things, and a completely different character appears. And this is even before we start talking about personal preferences, financial tipping points, etc.

You are fortunate to have such great gear to play around with.

smily_headphones1.gif

I can't agree to this more. This is actually part of the hard work we all have to put in to find the sound we want.

As regards the last sentence you wrote, I would say I am lucky to have a supportive, understanding, and music loving second half
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

Jul 19, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #17 of 74
@feifan:

I guess every person differs in the type of SQ they prefer, because the person who was kind enough to let me audition his HD800 tried to pair it with the Phonitor. Perhaps the source he tried at the audio store wasn't good enough but he didn't like the combination because he felt the sound he was hearing from the HD800 through Phonitor was too analytical and cold. I have no doubt that Phonitor is an excellent choice as a candidate, but I am just saying that perhaps the combination just might not be for everyone. For what it's worth, my preferences tend to tip towards warmth and smoothness over resolution and accuracy.

Just my 2 cents.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #18 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD800 is now back to its original owner.

Who was very wise to get you to fully burn them in for him.
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #20 of 74
Whoa....some of the best review I've read on this site so far. Great job man. I really enjoy your HD800s and Qualia comparison.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #22 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by t1174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank a lot. This review just make me more understand what is the real HD800.

Do you think you have time to write the 2nd part of this review?

Thanks again.

Hi, not sure what do you mean by 2nd part. As far as my listening experience in the past 2 weeks is concerned, this is basically all there in the earlier posts. Sure there are still a lot of mix and match possibilities - and inclusion of some popular amps ( M902, Ultra Desktop with DPS, the LISA III, Earmax Anniversary Edition.... ) and sources ( Chord Blu, DAC3 modified, and Wavelength Cosecant v3...), and comparison with the HP1000s, PS-1...etc. - but I will need to set the rig up and find another HD800 to do until I have mine on hand. This will certainly take time.

For the Balancing Act, I think I will have to wait until Craig is ready with mine which I anticipate to be in August. With the BA, it would be interesting to see how the HD800 compares to the K1000.

I have just placed an order for a pair of Kimber Select KS-1036, and a pair of Gabriel Gold Rapture interconnect - and it would be nice to re-visit the previous setups and see how the sound changes as a result.... in a few weeks time.

But all this will depend on getting a good pair of HD800 back ....

F. Lo

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #24 of 74
Excellent review! I need to look up the discs you are using to enhance my musical experience.

I am glad you were able to try out a number of different amps. It would be interesting to red impressions with the 5 again with a well burned-in pair of the 800's.

Now to look up some of those CD's you mention.

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #25 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent review! I need to look up the discs you are using to enhance my musical experience.

I am glad you were able to try out a number of different amps. It would be interesting to red impressions with the 5 again with a well burned-in pair of the 800's.

Now to look up some of those CD's you mention.

Dear John,

Glad that you like it. I do agree the HD800 I have may not be in the best form and hopefully when I have mine on hand I can revisit these impressions after a full burn-in. Not sure how many hours will that take though. I presume 500 should be a good estimate ?

Let me know if you want to know about the CDs. There have been a rush of newer CDs which sounds very nice. HQCD is getting hot now and they are pretty good. I have yet to try Blue-Ray CDs as I do not have a compatible player. There are also SHMCDs and not to mention the Ultimate Disc that FIM is now launching..... But for remastering technology, I still think the K2 HD has an leading edge.

F. Lo

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #26 of 74
Wonderful review!
smile.gif
I'm impressed in every respect.

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #27 of 74
Hi, thanks ever so much for this review as the 'amp collector'on head-fi you were the ideal person to do this! I have heard before that the hd800 is VERY picky about the amp it requires. I wonder, will you be able to test a balanced hd800 at some point? How would you specify the sound signature of your rudistor? How did you like it with th ephonitor vs rudi? I just finished reading the first post, very exciting.

Thanks again! I would have never had the opportunity to listen to all those ocmbos myself and I want the perfect setup when i finally buy the hd800.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #28 of 74
Hi, I am indeed too wondering how the hd800 will compare to the ps1000. Maybe I will be able to hear both next year in the only nl head-fi store, it will be some time fefore I can buy the hd800 anyway. I am wondering how the hd800 in balanced mode will sound from the rudi (which I guess is balanced) vs the phonitor? I am torn between either a rudistor amp or a phonitor, the costliest rudistors are quite a bit more expensive then the phonitor but they have balanced outputs which might suite the hd800 well also I think the rudi can have premp output which is important to me and the phonitor does not have that.
A VERY nice review, thanks a lot!
Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back