HD800 Listening Experience with different amps & sources
Jul 24, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #61 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you Francis for those wonderfully expressed impressions. One thing you have succeeded in doing is to make me miss my HP4 terribly.
redface.gif

Hi Kane,

Thanks for your compliment. Yes, the HP-4 is considered one of my best long term investment in this hobby.... Great to have it from you. Thanks again.

Francis

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #62 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Francis - thanks for the phenomenal way in which you articulate your experience with the HD800 and the various guises it can take depending on the gear it is paired with. In particular, it is not the descriptions of the impressions, but the way in which they are compared against each other that prove most useful.

If you get a chance, I'd be most interested in your impressions of how the HD800 pairs up with an OTL tube amp (which I believe the Earmax is?)

Best regards
X

Hi Carmel,

Thanks. I do have an Earmax Anniversary Edition ( and the Silver Edition is gone now) so when I have the HD800 in the future I will definitely put it through the Earmax AE with some of the best tubes I have collected for it.

Will report back after I have the opportunity to do that.

Francis

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #63 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by suikodenii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Francis,

wow thanks a bunch for that insightful and comprehensive review (which it is despite what yopu said earlier
wink_face.gif
)
I have to re-read this carefully to capture all that is included. For now I am happy to know that you liked the Phonitor a lot with the HD800.
I came to appreciate the AKG701 a lot more since I own the Phonitor (they had to be undusted quite literally) and thus am looking forward a lot to trying the HD800 on it as well. As I am not looking forward to go balanced this seems to me like a system to settle on and progressively alter the source going fwd. Well you never know....
k701smile.gif

I will try to dig up the Accustic Arts record, though it is not a bargain even in Germany (~35€)

Thanks again for sharing this.

There have been quite a consistent view of going balance is better for the HD800 so this makes me feel that it is almost a sin to use HD800 for those who are in possession of a good balanced amp.....

As for the Accustic Arts "Uncompressed World Vol. 1", 35€ is actually not a bad price because I paid HK$435 (= US$56 = 40.5 € ) !!

I am really looking forward to an opportunity to try the Ultimate Disc but this is going to be a major wallet drain...

Thanks again, for your support.

Francis

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #64 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are The HD800 a big update of the K701? or a minor update ?

I would say the HD800 is quite a big step from the K701. I have two K701 now - one single end, and one balanced. Although I did not do direct comparison during the previous listening sessions, the K701 is, compared to the HD800, lacking in weight and body, a step below on soundstage, and less precise on imaging. Bass extension - in terms of depth and quality, is certainly one area that HD800 outclass the K701.

Regards,
F. Lo

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #65 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richter Di /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Francis, your review of the HD 800 was great! Thanks a lot. Originally I planned to review a lot of different amps my self with the HD 800. So my planned list is:

Corda Symphony (which I own)
Black Cube Linear (Norbert Lehmann will most probable lend me one)
CEC HD 53 N (getting this one for a month from a shop close by)
Earmax SE (Matzio a fellow from the German hifi forum)
SPL Phonitor (deka a fellow from the German hifi forum)

At the moment I am still waiting untill the production director can confrim that the small problems with the HD 800 are all settled and I can receive a kind of MK1b.

Richter Di, it will be great to the community if you can contribute your impressions of these amps ! I once have a Corda Symphony and believe it is going to sound great with the HD800 - based on my memory.

I guess it would be most exciting to see how the SLP Phonitor compares with the Lehmann BCL on the HD800, as there are quite a few members who think the BCL is an even better match. I owned a Lehmann BCL for a long time and it was one great compact desktop amp, and a lot of power reserve. Unfortunately I did not have the chance to put them both together so if you can do that we would all have something interesting to look forward to.

Best,
F. Lo

Jul 25, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #67 of 74
fkclo,

Wow, I am simply floored by the effort you put into this comparative and subjective review. Your complete and utter thoroughness is impressive to say the least and I for one cannot be more appreciative. These HD800s are a true marvel to me and I cannot find the words to explain what I hear...I simply get lost in the music when I slip the hd800s on but your review has gone a long way in explaining what I'm hearing.

You are most appreciated and I hope head-fiers show you the love.

Thank You,

DrumonRon

Jul 25, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #68 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Richter Di, it will be great to the community if you can contribute your impressions of these amps ! I once have a Corda Symphony and believe it is going to sound great with the HD800 - based on my memory.

I guess it would be most exciting to see how the SLP Phonitor compares with the Lehmann BCL on the HD800, as there are quite a few members who think the BCL is an even better match. I owned a Lehmann BCL for a long time and it was one great compact desktop amp, and a lot of power reserve. Unfortunately I did not have the chance to put them both together so if you can do that we would all have something interesting to look forward to.

Best,
F. Lo

The HD 800 is ordered from Jan Meier (who now sells headphones again, allthough only one: the HD 800) . The Corda Symphony and the CEC HD 53 N will be the first amplifiers for my test series.

I thought about buying an extra balanced cable for the HD 800 but the price of 150 EUR plus making it XLR is almost prohibitive.

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #69 of 74
Hey Richter, very exciting to hear that Jan sells the hd800. I would be REALLY interested in your comparison of the symphony, black cube and phonitor. I heard the black cube and phonitor myself but it was briefly so I would really like some other ppl opinion on the synergy of the hd800.
Greetings, Anouk,
Quote:

The HD 800 is ordered from Jan Meier (who now sells headphones again, allthough only one: the HD 800) . The Corda Symphony and the CEC HD 53 N will be the first amplifiers for my test series.

I thought about buying an extra balanced cable for the HD 800 but the price of 150 EUR plus making it XLR is almost prohibitive.

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #70 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say the HD800 is quite a big step from the K701. I have two K701 now - one single end, and one balanced. Although I did not do direct comparison during the previous listening sessions, the K701 is, compared to the HD800, lacking in weight and body, a step below on soundstage, and less precise on imaging. Bass extension - in terms of depth and quality, is certainly one area that HD800 outclass the K701.

Regards,
F. Lo

Your impressions re the HD800 vs K701 are basically the same as mine. I would add that, at least with the balanced K701's, the soundstage if anything is hyper-exaggerated and doesn't sound real at times, whereas the balanced HD800's soundstage is much more believable. I also feel that the HD800's excel over the K701's (balanced or SE) in their ability to resolve low-level detail and especially dynamic range. High freqs on the HD800 also seem more "refined" and smoother. My comments not withstanding, I do think the K701's are still a very good phone -- it may well be that in some systems, they would actually be the better choice.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #71 of 74
Quote:

I've been looking into the CEC amp, but I never found a place that sells them.
How did you get yours? What is your opinion of it?

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #72 of 74
@ Richter Di:
Have you already made and posted the shootout with the (at least) 3 amps and the HD800? Maybe somewhere on hifi-forum?
...it would be nice....

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #74 of 74
fkclo,

Thanks for the great review. As a fellow ear hp4 owner and intrigued by the HD800 (currently using HD600 with blue dragon cable) this was a great read. Hopefully other owners of the HP4/HD800 combo will post their impressions as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back