HD800 "Anaxilus" Mod
Dec 23, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #76 of 278
I actually redid mine w/ volcanic necks and full extension in the corners.  You shouldn't smush the foam but it should spring back for the most part, hopefully.

I would definitely listen w/ the screens on using the Benchmark.  I like your choice of Laker purple btw.  =P

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #77 of 278
I have a couple of WM-61As. But I plan to test one driver at a time, as one of them is inside my webcam.

What's the cheapest way to do it properly? How can I simulate having the headphones on a head without a dummy? What is the best distance between the mic and the headphones?

I found out about HOLMImpulse from diyaudio. Is that good enough? Any other better but free programs?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #78 of 278
^^It's a bit more of a bluish/purple and looks a little "Dallas Cowboys". 
bigsmile_face.gif

Hmmm, I can turn it up to a louder volume for more low impact but it loses some of the clarity, soundstage, and "elegance".

Maybe because the mods can't bring up the 3-5kHz region too?  

Seems a bit less "connected" though balanced a bit better to the bass for some electronic tracks like Massive Attack remixes...Michael Jackson still hurts with Benchmark > Gilmore Lite.  (On purrin's system I remember Michael Jackson being fine.)

I found that listening to the HD 800 at a "reasonable" volume as stock (less volume than when I am trying to get big "impact" or paying attention to gear), the 800's are fantastic.

I don't have my tube amp yet and have just had the 800's for a very short while so I will have to see where I end up in 6 months.  

1. Will listen with foam in and without.  
  2. Will see what the tube amp does when it arrives.  
  3. Will experiment with different listening volumes.

How much have you guys swapped the same foam in and out or changed your foam?  (Don't want to damage anything whilst doing trials.) 

Dec 23, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #79 of 278
Back to stock.  Not hard as some of the foam was coming up (didn't affix with much pressure).

I like it better for now, but we'll see...

Thanks for the instructions!!

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #80 of 278
Geeee, what kind of ears you guys have ?

I cannot hear any differences in between HD800 straight from iPod vs HD800 with Burson Amp/Peach Tree.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #81 of 278

Quote:
Geeee, what kind of ears you guys have ?

I cannot hear any differences in between HD800 straight from iPod vs HD800 with Burson Amp/Peach Tree.

So what you are saying is the Burson makes your Peach Tree sound like an iPod.  Or are we listening to Bieber again? 
tongue_smile.gif

Tbh I've never been a Burson fan though you could certainly do worse.

Do you hear a difference using any of your other phones out of curiousity?

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #82 of 278
My iPhone really can't drive my 800 well by itself.  For fun I had to try it.  VERY surprised that you are getting the same bass out of your iPod.

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #85 of 278

Quote:
I think you guys got trolled...  at least per his signature block, C411 doesn't appear to actually own the 800's.

Given the badly cropped sports car avatar, it's either nwavguy or one of his minions.

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #86 of 278
Maybe a way to salvage my 800's. I would guess not,but you never know.
I will definitely be trying this. As soon as I can get my phones back from my niece. Thanks for this mod!

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #88 of 278

Quote:
^Nice avatar, @skeptic

Thanks cee tee - and also for your comments on your hd800's with and without mods!  I really need to give the mod a try one of these days but have been short on tinkering time lately.  Are you still leaning towards unmodded as your preference?  

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #89 of 278
^Hi @skeptic.  Yes, last night I had a tube combo that was missing some midrange and so I tried to put back in the circular foam only + swap in a couple of brighter tubes to see if I could strike a balance.

I found it veiled though- so I went back to unmodded and then found another tube combo that I am pretty darn happy with. I'll check it again tomorrow night with fresher ears.

I like having the option to roll foam in.  May try a very thin ring sometime if I'm not really in-love with my tube combo...

The foam can rip when removing if you have pressed it in there, but I've got plenty of extra foam. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back