HD800 "Anaxilus" Mod
Mar 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #91 of 278

Quote:
I like having the option to roll foam in.  May try a very thin ring sometime if I'm not really in-love with my tube combo...

Pick two to three 10-20 sec snippets of tracks for each tube rolling session.  Any longer and you will be chasing your tail.  I have one track for mids/vocal coherence, vocal timbre and bass reproduction.  Then the next for SS, imaging, natural reverb and decay characteristics and treble tone.  In 25-45secs I have an idea of what the tube change did.  Only once I feel solid about a combo do I go for the long 1 hour session which usually ends up being 3-5+ hours instead.  
wink_face.gif

Quote:
I'm betting you have one of those newer production HD800s that don't require the foam mod.

I'd like to foam mod the DAC1.  
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #92 of 278
^Yep, thanks guys...

The 800 with the DAC1 is definitely a little too sharp on a lot of music if I turn it up.  Also, the bass does take a backseat with some music.  My current tube combo gives me some nice bass/impact and takes the edge off of the treble.  I am rolling things so that I can enjoy all genres. 

When we get together at the SoCal meet, we'll compare HD 800s (measure mine to see if same amount of extra treble) and compare preferred Super 7 tube combos. 

(Or I could drive down earlier if I could get some double c-core transformers...
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #93 of 278
Got my 800's back early this morning, tried the tyll mod. Concluded, these headphones are doomed for the trash can.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #94 of 278

Quote:
Got my 800's back early this morning, tried the tyll mod. Concluded, these headphones are doomed for the trash can.

Give you $100 for them.  I know how bad they sound so I'll take them off your hands.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #95 of 278
Mar 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #97 of 278
LMAO! 

You guys are trying to do me a great service, But, they need to be trashed. It's personal and I need to give a big FU to Sennheiser. :)

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #98 of 278

Quote:
LMAO! 

You guys are trying to do me a great service, But, they need to be trashed. It's personal and I need to give a big FU to Sennheiser. :)

Thx for the impressions.  And the apparent trolling.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #99 of 278
No, not trolling. I have stated I very much prefer dark phones. I have just been super disappointed with the 800's. It's my first actual regret purchase as far as audio goes.
And, as I've said for those of you who really do enjoy your 800's that's awesome, they just aren't for me. Very much don't appreciate your assumptions of my apparent trolling.
Did appreciate your mod, just bummed it personally didn't fix my dislike for the 800's

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #100 of 278

Quote:
No, not trolling. I have stated I very much prefer dark phones. I have just been super disappointed with the 800's. It's my first actual regret purchase as far as audio goes.
And, as I've said for those of you who really do enjoy your 800's that's awesome, they just aren't for me. Very much don't appreciate your assumptions of my apparent trolling.
Did appreciate your mod, just bummed it personally didn't fix my dislike for the 800's

No prob, you just didn't explain much other than a big FU.  I had to hunt you down on the Lyr and other threads to figure out what the deal is.  FYI, it seems like your tube rolling scheme to bring out the soundstage on the LCD2 is not conducive to the HD800.  I know you're new to the hobby but you can't expect to synergize gear w/ one phone and expect it to play nice with all others.  Besides it's not a optimal pairing with the Lyr anyhow as some reading will explain how they are very picky w/ getting the right amp synergy.  You're having issues with the cake (amp) so you shouldn't try a different frosting (mod).  You simply haven't heard what the phone can do yet is all, that's fine.  Happens a lot.  One day try going to meet and listening to it from different sources before wildly trashing it.  

I hope you can't understand how making comments like, "these need to be trashed" and "FU Sennheiser" don't offer a lot of value to the community or people that might want to help you out.  Hope that makes sense.  Otherwise it's fine not to like something w/o taking a dump in someone's living room.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #101 of 278
That's true, my impressions were vague. No, my Lyr-tube rolling is just for the LCD-2. Though, I will break out the 650 here and there.
I actually use to have my 800's paired with a Burston 160. They do have great sound, I've stated this, personally not for me though.
And yes, I did try to bring some love to these 800's with a few mods. Admittedly haven't picked up my 800's in many, many months.
I think I did just try to force myself to like the 800's by any means necessary.

I think my mistake may have been my sarcastic "trashing" of the phone. Of course I am not going to just throw them away, it was more of a figure of speech. Poor articulating on my part. I do apologize for that. They are a truly almost "amazing" phone just not for me. I've reiterated this over and over
 I really didn't mean to offend anyone who loves this phone or anything. I will tone my sarcasm way down. Hope this clears things up :)

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #102 of 278

Quote:

It's cool.  All makes sense now, no worries.  
beerchug.gif
  I actually like sarcasm mysef, that was just a bit veiled.  No pun intended.  
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #103 of 278
Awesome! Last thing I want is to be coined a troll in anyway. I have immense respect for the members of this site. Greatly enjoy different opinions and criticism of different products. Will definitely work on my dry sarcasm. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #104 of 278
Anax, I'm guessing this mod is completely reversable with no evidence left behind? How about its ability to stay in place for months or longer?

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #105 of 278

Quote:
Anax, I'm guessing this mod is completely reversable with no evidence left behind? How about its ability to stay in place for months or longer?

It's not going anywhere, only if you remove them.  There might be some spots of residue but nothing that can't be rolled off or cleaned.  The creatology adhesive won't interact w/ the plastic doing that 'melt' effect you might get w/ more caustic adhesives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back