HD800 "Anaxilus" Mod
Nov 19, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #46 of 278
Anax...I will start a protractor loaner program.

The plotter is too expensive to ship.

THANK YOU for the pics.  Will be executing this procedure in early December.

We could get a DaVinci system together so you could perform these mods remotely, however.

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #48 of 278

Quote:
Make sure you get the right stuff:
  • Roll of teflon tape at home depot
  • Kitchen sink stopper ~8.1-8.3cm in diameter

I had the teflon tape roll, but I was stumped on the outer diameter trying a few things including cups and didn't quite get the diameter right on my practice circles.  Sure, I could have just cut a little more off... but that's not OCD enough for me.

Now I know!  And I have two of those stoppers, excellent.  I like your style, and I very much enjoy your plots and posts purrin, thanks.

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #50 of 278
LOL. Actually that's what I really used, but I couldn't find it for the photos, so I grabbed the kitchen sink stopper.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #51 of 278
Although I think that Mr. Sneis meant to say "For a complete moron" rather than "As a complete moron", I second his request.  There seem to be two pieces for each earpiece, a ring-shaped one that goes over the metal surrounding the diaphragm and 2 mm onto the mesh, and what is sort of an elongated D shape.  Is that correct?  What is the correct placement for the second piece?

That's exactly what I meant! Sorry if it came off wrong!! Thanks again purrin.

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #53 of 278
Hey Purrin. I would really be interested in seeing how the Anaxilus mod would measure using putty/Blu-Tack. I personally like the result myself but it would be nice to quantify it and also "see" how it differs from yours.

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #54 of 278

Quote:
Thanks for your input Anax. You've brought up some points to consider. I don't hear it as the graph shows, which means there must be a difference in the foam I'm using. It looks the same, but it doesn't mean it's identical.
Also, aside from the frequency response, I'm definitely hearing a reduction in air/openness and soundstage. The more I obstruct the open mesh grill, the more pronounced the effect.

My HD800s are a late model, #9311. I've found the silver cable has already removed the hash/grain in the treble while increasing speed and microdetail. I guess I don't need the mod, but I'll try out some other materials out of curiosity.

A bit OT, but if you don't mind my asking, which silver cable are you using, Sharose? I may be missing it in your sig.

o

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #55 of 278
Nov 21, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #56 of 278

Quote:
Hey Purrin. I would really be interested in seeing how the Anaxilus mod would measure using putty/Blu-Tack. I personally like the result myself but it would be nice to quantify it and also "see" how it differs from yours.

I'm too lazy to source putty. I'm adverse to putty. I hate it when my kids play with it. I'll try it if I get the chance.

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #57 of 278

Quote:
I'm too lazy to source putty. I'm adverse to putty. I hate it when my kids play with it. I'll try it if I get the chance.

I've got some, I've been wanting to clean up mine a bit anyway.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #58 of 278

I didn't know that many kids would play with plumbers putty. lol.

You can't use "Silly" Putty because it's too viscous and won't stay in place. Plumbers putty is easy to find at any hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back