HD580
Dec 30, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Maxvla
just got them.

god i think i will never take these off.

i am rediscovering my classical collection.

can't wait til i get an amp for these.

:drool:

I find myself in a similar position. Got in on the newegg deal while the window was open, now I am rediscovering some great recordings. And this is just listening off of my computer. I can't imagine that once my CD player and amp arrive the sound should be even better...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #17 of 31
These phones improve amazingly with burn in. Just about every aspect of these phones are significantly better now than right out of box state.

Piano is the primary instrument that I hear distorting. Not all the time either, only at select freqs.

I hope JMT got that check today.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #20 of 31
Hm.. This thread brings back memories. I was so naive back then, and posted like a machine gun.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #21 of 31
I see you have a HD600, so I guess it is kinda true that you would never take the HD580 off your headsince they sound extremely similar
wink.gif

There has definitely been more thread revivals since the forum overhaul

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #22 of 31
Yes, I'm still using the HD600 which is very similar, of course. The amp I refer to circa 2002 in this thread was a Gilmore Lite that I didn't like at all. Coming full circle I'm completely a tube amp guy and expect to be that way the rest of my listening life. I've heard some phones that are technically better than my setup, but I can't enjoy them as much. These were mostly in meet conditions so it's not ideal, but I'm pretty good at cutting straight to what I want to hear. I do have a pair of Hifiman HE-6 coming as part of Head-Direct's loaner program to see if they can dethrone the HD600. I heard the HE-5 at a meet this last January and was impressed, but it just didn't do it for me.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #24 of 31
Hi all!
I've got the 580's for almost a month now, so i would like to share my impressions and ask a few questions.
First of all, my first decent phones were the hd555s, which i bought about three years ago, but after the first listening it was obvious that the 580's play in a different league. Better bass quality and much bigger bass quantity, maybe even a bit too much, but for me it's ok. More chrystal feel around the highs, more space, and much more laid back imaging. I know that dey need proper amplification to give their best, which is the thing i don't have currently, but i will get the Millett SS in weeks, which isn't high end stuff but it must serve more than well for the limited price tag which fits in my budget, according to what i've read.
My 580's are as untouched as possible, so none of the popular mods (hd600/650 grills, 650 cable) are present, which leads us to my problem/question:
I _really_ love the detail and deepness of these cans, but i find them a bit too laid back for me, and the minds...well, where are the mids? They're a bit slim compared to the treble and the bass, which both sound truly wonderful to me, but i feel a midrange-deficit. I know that it can be that i got too much used to the 555's, which give a bigger boost to the mids than it would be desireble to most of us, but i also find the 555's to be faster (again, they are currently unamped, so probably this is the source of the problem), which makes me a bit sad, since quite a lot of music i like profits from it, and i simply feel that the 'new' (at least 10 years old, hehe) cans could perform better. I heard that replacing the grills to the ones used on 600/650s gives a better mid-range presence, but how significant is the change?

So, my final and most important question would be: can the 580s really ROCK?

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #26 of 31
rauschie-
Don't make any judgments until you get your Millet. It will make a very obvious difference. You will then have much more respect for your HD580's. The midrange is fine on them. You just need some amplification and a little time with them to stop your mind from comparing them to the 555's. I had 555's (and a Millet) and still have 580's. The longer you listen to them (amped) the more you will grow to enjoy your music.Consider yourself in for a treat.

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #27 of 31
Don't get me wrong, as i already wrote, the 580' superiority was obvious from the first moment, but in a few regards, i feel that they could be better. Anyway, thanks for the reply, as soon as i get the amp, i will know a lot more. I will share my thoughts, unti then, i guess i should focus on the millett's part list
rolleyes.gif

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #28 of 31
I Recently purchased a pair of HD-580's with 600 grills and a 650 cable from a fellow headfier to replace my 555's. I tryed them on my integrated sound card, and they didnt have near the strength to drive the 580s to a reasonable listening volume, So I purchased and Asus Essence STX pci-e Sound Card with a built in headphone amp of decent quality. WOW properly driven these cans are superior in every fashion over the 555's, like everyone else, I'm finding new enjoyment in my lossless collection, and hearing things I once never did. I can assure you after proper break in and with proper amplification these cans sound amazing.

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #30 of 31
errrrrrr I've been looking for this thread errrrrr bloody marvelous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back