HD580
Dec 30, 2002 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Maxvla

Headphoneus Supremus
Edit: Everyone loves to keep bumping this thread from 2002. You were warned...

just got them.

god i think i will never take these off.

i am rediscovering my classical collection.

can't wait til i get an amp for these.

:drool:

Dec 30, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 31
Im listening to the Shanghai Quartet Mozarts last two quartets album.

the clarity is truly amazing.

[/silly grin]

Dec 30, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by bulkie
Im thinking of getting the 580s as my next pair of cans but was wondering how they will fair for dance/electronic music.

right now i'm listening to the Alizée Moi Lolita Techno remix and it sounds damn good. the file is a 160k/s mp3 but the highs are still pretty clear. bass sounds good very crisp.

Dec 30, 2002 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 31
maxvla, wait til they burn in more. I heard definite sonic changes over the period of about 2 weeks. The sound will improve most markedly. You'll be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

However, I have since come to the conclusion that the sound card can not only not drive the 580 to high enough volume for my taste, but distortion is pretty bad at high volume as well.

maxvla, with the number of posts you have accumulated over this past week, I assume you must have seen the post regarding The Impeder
wink.gif

I want to try this out asap
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2002 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
maxvla, wait til they burn in more. I heard definite sonic changes over the period of about 2 weeks. The sound will improve most markedly. You'll be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

However, I have since come to the conclusion that the sound card can not only not drive the 580 to high enough volume for my taste, but distortion is pretty bad at high volume as well.

maxvla, with the number of posts you have accumulated over this past week, I assume you must have seen the post regarding The Impeder
wink.gif

I want to try this out asap
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah i'll have them playing alot
biggrin.gif

as far as the sound card... yes i feel the bass is lacking but not to the point of annoyance. i figure an amp will cure this problem quite easily. i'll hafta try these on my pioneer 906 in a bit.

i was however surprised these had a minijack plug
confused.gif

i figured hifi headphones would come 1/4 plug.

Dec 30, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by bulkie
Maxla, ur driving it out from ur sound card directly and still getting good sound outta it?

smily_headphones1.gif

all i have to compare them with is my Kenwood KPM-310s (crap) but the 580s are infinitely better in all regards.

yes i am very satisfied with the sound quality for now.

Quote:

Originally posted by HeatMiser
Where did you get them, and how much did you pay?

Newegg.com for 125 and i have a rebate for 20 off from Sennheiser.

btw. i just popped in the KennyG Moment cd... track 5 thats got that awesome bass line... sounds SO GOOD on these.

I need an amp. now!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 31
Are you able to crank the volume real loud, to the point were you have to take them off your head and just hover them near your ears, and the sound still comes out cystal clear.

lol, I always do that with a pair of headphones, see how loud I can get them before they distort. I loved the 580's when I tested them out in the store, at even very very low volumes the sound was crystal clear. I so want a pair, I'm just waiting for NewEgg to bring down their price. I only have $160 at the moment
frown.gif
... and their for $199 now
mad.gif

Oh woa is me woa woa woa is me...
frown.gif

Dec 30, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by ClearYourMind
Are you able to crank the volume real loud, to the point were you have to take them off your head and just hover them near your ears, and the sound still comes out cystal clear.

lol, I always do that with a pair of headphones, see how loud I can get them before they distort. I loved the 580's when I tested them out in the store, at even very very low volumes the sound was crystal clear. I so want a pair, I'm just waiting for NewEgg to bring down their price. I only have $160 at the moment
frown.gif
... and their for $199 now
mad.gif

Oh woa is me woa woa woa is me...
frown.gif

lets just say i can have them playing across the room and hear them pretty well. i hafta turn them up to uncomfortable levels to get them to distort. so since i will never be playing them that loud its not a concern and i listen quite loudly. i have both windows and QCD turned all the way up.

i think newegg's price is actually 189 then theres the rebate for 20 bucks if you buy them in the next 2 days. 169... stretch.

Dec 30, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #12 of 31
Just got hold of my HD580's here too.

Right out of the box I think they sound pretty decent. Out of three sources that I have tried (Pana PCDP, Sony CDP, Vintage Onkyo Int-amp), they sound best out of the Onkyo A-5. Very detailed highs and natural mids. Bass is there, but alittle flabby at the moment. Soundstage isnt very apparent currently and its a bit 1 dimentional but then again I've only had them playing for about 2 hours
wink.gif

Time to annoy my roomate with 24 hour hp burn-in
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 31
NewEgg their still $199 w/ free S&H and w/ Rebate. The best price I found right now is at JandR.com for $169 also free s&h and w/ Rebate.

I did the email me a price when the price drops below 160. Hopefully I'll be able to get them at the same price [125] that you got them for.

Dec 30, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by ClearYourMind
NewEgg their still $199 w/ free S&H and w/ Rebate. The best price I found right now is at JandR.com for $169 also free s&h and w/ Rebate.

I did the email me a price when the price drops below 160. Hopefully I'll be able to get them at the same price [125] that you got them for.

best of luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Maxvla
i am rediscovering my classical collection.

the crazy thing is that this kind of rediscovery happens every upgrade... amp, headphone cable, interconnect, power cable, etc.
biggrin.gif

Have fun with your new headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back