hd25-1 impressions thread
Oct 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #1,983 of 3,348
HD25 doesn't fit inside of the M80's case.

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #1,986 of 3,348
Quote:
Has anybody used both the E17 and Zo2 with HD25's?  I have the E17 right now but I'm looking for something that will soften up snares/hi-hats and add a bit of bass for hip/hop.

A really good amp will bring out the mids a bit more by improving bass control.  You want a bass-boost amp for sure for the extra bass.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #1,987 of 3,348
A quick question guys, was there ever a HD25-1 I, or just the HD25-1 II? There's a pair on display in a local pawn shop at a price I can't help but pick up, so I was just wondering if there are successive generations and if so what the differences were?

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #1,988 of 3,348
Quote:
A quick question guys, was there ever a HD25-1 I, or just the HD25-1 II? There's a pair on display in a local pawn shop at a price I can't help but pick up, so I was just wondering if there are successive generations and if so what the differences were?

Yup, HD25-1 (or probably just HD25 back then as there was no "II") did exist.

'The cable has improved connectors at the headphones end (now round metal pins instead of the pressed version of the older model) and is 1.5m instead of 1.2. The Mk.II version now has the optional velour earpads included as standard as well as the leatherette ones and the Mk.II version now also comes with a carrying bag.'

...so says google search anyways. But yeah. From all I've heard, there's no difference between headphones themselves and the differences are the packaging and the cables.

Same thing with the Denon's D1000/D1001 and AKG K240S/K240 MKII.

What you have to watch out for is the HD25-13 which are of completely different impedence (higher impedence and harder to drive, strictly for studio/airplane use IIRC), and the HD25-SP, which is stripped down inferior version of the standard HD25 (different drivers, single headband, dual sided cable).  There is also a HD25-C, of which I think the only difference between them and standard version is that they have a coiled cable.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #1,991 of 3,348
Quote:

A really good amp will bring out the mids a bit more by improving bass control.  You want a bass-boost amp for sure for the extra bass.

I phrased that question poorly so forget the bit about about bass; my main concern is getting rid of sibilance usually caused by compressed drums/vocals and most 808 hats/snares.  Bringing out the mids would be equally appreciated - is there a good $200-$300 portable amp that can do either one or both of those things with the HD25's?

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #1,992 of 3,348
Quote:
I phrased that question poorly so forget the bit about about bass; my main concern is getting rid of sibilance usually caused by compressed drums/vocals and most 808 hats/snares.  Bringing out the mids would be equally appreciated - is there a good $200-$300 portable amp that can do either one or both of those things with the HD25's?

I didn't answer that because I don't know.  I don't think that such an amp exists.  Perhaps switch your media player to a Cowon J3?  It has an excellent equalizer.

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #1,993 of 3,348
I phrased that question poorly so forget the bit about about bass; my main concern is getting rid of sibilance usually caused by compressed drums/vocals and most 808 hats/snares.  Bringing out the mids would be equally appreciated - is there a good $200-$300 portable amp that can do either one or both of those things with the HD25's?

What source are you using. The Fiio e17 has the option to lower the treble so you might like that. Otherwise if you're using an ios device there are eq apps you could try. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back