hd25-1 impressions thread
Jan 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,756 of 3,348
I have the 650's and the HD25.  I really can't see using the HD650's 'out and about'.  Too much sound leakage and it will probably let a lot of the outside sound in.  Than's why I have the HD25's.
As far as shortening the cable, it's pretty simple.  There are a few YouTube videos. Just make sure you get the left and right connectors on the right slots. I found a sound file that indicates left and right.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #1,757 of 3,348

Quote:
I have the 650's and the HD25.  I really can't see using the HD650's 'out and about'.  Too much sound leakage and it will probably let a lot of the outside sound in.  Than's why I have the HD25's.
As far as shortening the cable, it's pretty simple.  There are a few YouTube videos. Just make sure you get the left and right connectors on the right slots. I found a sound file that indicates left and right.

I don't think he's talking about the HD650 headphone, but using its cable on the HD25. It's a pretty popular mod to turn the cups around and have the cable entry from the bottom for better ergonomics. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,758 of 3,348
Got it.. that's what I did with my HD600 cable.. shortened it and put it on my HD25's.. it's pretty easy. I just followed a YouTube view on soldering an mini plug. I eventually ordered a custom made silver IEM cable.. mistake.. the modded HD600 cable was the right thing to do SQ and $$ wise.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,759 of 3,348
Just got the HD25 today. So far I really like it, although it would be nice if it was a little bit louder on my Clip+.

I ask myself, why are you guys so freaked out about changing cables? Do you really hear a significant difference?
I have the HD650s and I just put the cable on the HD25 and I heard absolutely no difference!

greets

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #1,760 of 3,348
Quote:
Just got the HD25 today. So far I really like it, although it would be nice if it was a little bit louder on my Clip+.

I ask myself, why are you guys so freaked out about changing cables? Do you really hear a significant difference?
I have the HD650s and I just put the cable on the HD25 and I heard absolutely no difference!

greets

The HD-25 has a slightly higher impedence (70 ohms) than many earphones, so it takes a bit more power to drive it.  With a portable amp, it generates good volume and a very punchy, full sound.

About cables, some people have very sensitive ears and can hear differences that most of us mortals can't. 
cool.gif

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #1,761 of 3,348

Quote:

greets

I did it to get a shorter and more portable one, and nicer looking or course.
http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e1/e1750ce6_100_1799Medium.jpeg
http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/c6/c60cbdb8_100_1798Medium.jpeg

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #1,762 of 3,348

Quote:

greets

I got a new cable not for sonic improvement, but simply comfort. The cable coming out so far on the right side doesn't work well when I'm snowboarding. Having it come down the center like earphones would works better.

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,763 of 3,348

Got my HD-25s a week ago. Initially, I was a little disappointed with the recessed mids. I think that's because I really like my SR325s aggressive sound. But I'm beginning to enjoy the signature now....maybe because of the ongoing break-in.

However, the clamping force is very high and it hurts after some time.

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #1,764 of 3,348
Have you tried the velour pads?

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #1,766 of 3,348
Try bending the headband outward carefully.
Do it a few times, see if it helps.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,767 of 3,348
Well, I just ordered these. Refurb for €130 (including shipping) so I saved about €40. I guess I'll see if being cheap will bite me in the ass within a week.
Anyhow, I listened to them briefly (barely a song worth) and preferred them over my TF10s at least then. Will be interesting to compare to them a bit more properly, wonder how they fare against my D2Ks as well.

Last headphone I buy for at least 5 years though, hope it turns out well.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,768 of 3,348
Hi, I posted this on the new headphone inquiry thread but feel it might be better viewed here.

I have been thinking of buying some Sennheiser HD 25-1 mkII's. I have read the extensive threads already on this forum and they seem to please just about everyone. Comfort aside. They seem rugged enough to throw in my bag (for they will be used on the go), uber light and nice and discreet whilst tooling along.

I would have liked to audition them but don't have any dealers near me. However I did get a chance to listen to the HD 25-1 SP versions and they blew me away they were so good.

Would I be right in assuming that the MKII's would be even better...?

I am currently listening to some AKG 480's which can get a bit boomy at high volumes. They are quite new so I can flog them and get some money back.

I will be using them with an ipod 5th gen through a Neco Soundlab V3 headphone amp. So they will have plenty of drive.

Best price I've found on line is £128.

Thanks in advance, Thing.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #1,769 of 3,348
When I purchased my HD25's, I had a chance to compare both at the same time.  As much as I really wanted to love the SP's, I couldn't.  They were about $100 cheaper but I ended up splurging on the HD25-1 II's. For me, they were that much better.

Quote:
 However I did get a chance to listen to the HD 25-1 SP versions and they blew me away they were so good.

Would I be right in assuming that the MKII's would be even better...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back