hd25-1 impressions thread
Jan 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #1,741 of 3,348
So it will be one of the "loudest".  
4f12e3f1_smrt.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,742 of 3,348
I think so that it can be driven by portables a little easier...  A lot of listeners (including myself) prefer the use of portables and see portable amplifiers as a hassle.

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #1,743 of 3,348
I enjoy the HD25 right out of my clip+ already. guess I'll wait for comparison reviews between both HD25-1-II and if the sound sign is the same, then Im good with mine. on the other hand I wish the new one has slightly less bass and a more up front mid range. a breed between the actual HD25 70 Ohm and the M80.

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,744 of 3,348

Quote:
I enjoy the HD25 right out of my clip+ already. guess I'll wait for comparison reviews between both HD25-1-II and if the sound sign is the same, then Im good with mine. on the other hand I wish the new one has slightly less bass and a more up front mid range. a breed between the actual HD25 70 Ohm and the M80.

I'm sure they will have a similar signature, but the 18 ohm, since it is easier to driver will sound slightly better here and there since it doesn't have to "struggle" as much.  However, I doubt much will change.  Of course all of this cna be wrong :p

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #1,745 of 3,348
Try to move the cables and the cups around, to test the connections. If one driver is dying or there is a bad connection it shouldn't behave in this way. I don't exclude that one of the drivers is kicking the bucket but looking at the symptoms it is unlikely. I hope it is just some false connection.

Yep. It's the connectors that are being horrible. I guess the sound on these cans will be random every time...

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #1,746 of 3,348
The cups are "aluminium"....might improve ever so slightly acoustics? I'm a sucker for blue (and silver mind due) with the already mentioned 18 ohms it might in  fact improve matters for smaller devices and the sound in general.

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #1,747 of 3,348

Quote:

Cover up 2-3 of the ports surrounding the driver face with pieces of hard plastic or other sturdy material and you will get a bit less and tighter bass.

Quote:
The cups are "aluminium"....might improve ever so slightly acoustics? I'm a sucker for blue (and silver mind due) with the already mentioned 18 ohms it might infact improve matters for smaller devices and the sound in general.

If it really gets aluminum, then it may have "metal flavoring" a la SR325, lol!

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #1,748 of 3,348
So I just opted to switch back to the steel cables rather than replacing my HD-580 ones, because they're just too damn long and I don't have the meager technical skills required to shorten them (or get the HD 600s and switch to mini-plug). Yet Sennheiser is now charging a little over $46 for the stock steel cable, which seems insane - I feel like I could get a decent aftermarket cable for that price. Though maybe not.

Are there any existant cables that fit the HD-25s, have a portable-friendly cord length, and terminate in a mini-plug?

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #1,749 of 3,348
The price tag is way too high. I love the way this new version looks and the addition of a mic is pretty sweet but still, it ain't not worth $150 more. Wonder if there's any substantial change to the sound, but I doubt it. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #1,750 of 3,348

Quote:
So I just opted to switch back to the steel cables rather than replacing my HD-580 ones, because they're just too damn long and I don't have the meager technical skills required to shorten them (or get the HD 600s and switch to mini-plug). Yet Sennheiser is now charging a little over $46 for the stock steel cable, which seems insane - I feel like I could get a decent aftermarket cable for that price. Though maybe not.

Are there any existant cables that fit the HD-25s, have a portable-friendly cord length, and terminate in a mini-plug?

First of all, it's not that difficult to solder a mini plug onto a cable.  My first attempt was to shorten my HD600 cable and that was successful and really did improve the sound over the stock cable.  (did some research on the net.. found lots of links and some videos) Thought I could do better so I ordered a custom silver IEM cable.. Little to no difference compared to the HD600 cable at nearly the same cost of the cans.

You have two options.. DIY.. order a HD650 stock cable for bout $23 off eBay, get a good mini plug and a solder gun.
Option 2.. check eBay.. you can get a custom cable (search under HD650 cables) for about $100. Other options could cost hundreds.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #1,751 of 3,348
Try to move the cables and the cups around, to test the connections. If one driver is dying or there is a bad connection it shouldn't behave in this way. I don't exclude that one of the drivers is kicking the bucket but looking at the symptoms it is unlikely. I hope it is just some false connection.

Yep. It's the connectors that are being horrible. I guess the sound on these cans will be random every time...

This is so annoying. Any way to fix it?

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #1,752 of 3,348
I had the same problem with sloppy connection between the connector fork and the spring that should touch the electrodes. I made a mistake by taking the driver apart and trying to fix the problem from inside. Ended up braking one of the hair-thin wires that go from connector to the voicecoil. Almost a 100$ mistake if not for a great deal of luck and soldering skill.

In the end I decided to smear some solder on the connector fork so they get thicker and then filed off the excess. No problems whatsoever since then.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #1,753 of 3,348
Just got my HD25II yesterday. Great sound. Treble is a little too edgy. Hopefully it smooths out with time. The velour pads lessens the bass and smooths thing out nicely. I also like that the velour's reduce the clamping pressure a lot. 

I really am considering getting the Hd650 cable. But I am deeply worried about the length. 10 feet is way too long. And I know nothing about soldering so DIY is out of the question. How do you guys manage the length of the 650 cable when out and about?

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #1,754 of 3,348
Twist ties! 
wink_face.gif

I kid, I don't know.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #1,755 of 3,348

Quote:
Just got my HD25II yesterday. Great sound. Treble is a little too edgy. Hopefully it smooths out with time. The velour pads lessens the bass and smooths thing out nicely. I also like that the velour's reduce the clamping pressure a lot. 

I really am considering getting the Hd650 cable. But I am deeply worried about the length. 10 feet is way too long. And I know nothing about soldering so DIY is out of the question. How do you guys manage the length of the 650 cable when out and about?

They don't. Heh, I think most people cut and re-terminate in that case. I'm horrible at soldering and I'm probably going to give it a go anyway. Just cut longer than you need it and practice on the loose piece a few times, then try it on the actual cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back