hd25-1 impressions thread
Dec 21, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #1,712 of 3,348
I've just received my HD25's. I've been trying to pick a few artists to listen to who i know usually bring out sibilence if there is any, and have yet to hear it. Perhaps this was just an issue with the older versions? I read people complaining about it, but haven't run into any. I'm listening to them through a slightly brighter amp too (JDSlabs C421.)

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #1,713 of 3,348
Do give it some time for burn in. The original cable sucks.. try a HD650 cable.. You can get it off eBay for about $20. Overall presentation (bass, mids and treble) is much better with a minor change. What is your source/amp? I'm absolutely loving mine with the FiiO E10. Probably the best entry combo in to HeadFi as far as I'm concerned. An alternative headset is the v-moda M-80. I have both the M-80 and HD-25. Though the M-80 delivers more bass, the HD25 is tighter and cleaner. Overall, I prefer the HD-25 over the M80 though I do enjoy both. Quote: Originally Posted by Tablo Received mine today. Pretty underwhelmed by the bass. Treble also seems kinda flimsy. Will see if it improves with burn-in.

I'm hearing the bass now, and treble sounds better. Must've been a wrong fit or something. I find it uncomfortable to wear with glasses though. Any tips?

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #1,714 of 3,348

Quote:
Quote:
Do give it some time for burn in. The original cable sucks.. try a HD650 cable.. You can get it off eBay for about $20. Overall presentation (bass, mids and treble) is much better with a minor change. What is your source/amp? I'm absolutely loving mine with the FiiO E10. Probably the best entry combo in to HeadFi as far as I'm concerned. An alternative headset is the v-moda M-80. I have both the M-80 and HD-25. Though the M-80 delivers more bass, the HD25 is tighter and cleaner. Overall, I prefer the HD-25 over the M80 though I do enjoy both. Quote: Originally Posted by Tablo Received mine today. Pretty underwhelmed by the bass. Treble also seems kinda flimsy. Will see if it improves with burn-in.

I'm hearing the bass now, and treble sounds better. Must've been a wrong fit or something. I find it uncomfortable to wear with glasses though. Any tips?

I wear glasses also, and I've had comfort issues with every supraaural headphone I've ever tried. I'm usually good for a good 2-3 hours before it starts to hurt though; however, I suspect it might hurt sooner with the HD25, since the clamping force feels alot stronger. I've thought about trying to bend the headband, but then you might lose some isolation, which these seem really good with for a supra aural.

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #1,715 of 3,348

Quote:
I have a question, I am getting a bit of static on my louder music(Mostly guitars, high up vocals), these are on 320 mp3 files, that normal? A little background hiss also.

Might be caused by HD25's nasty 7kHz peak or that music isn't recorded very well and HD25 is showing it.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #1,716 of 3,348
Oh I see, so nothing I can do about that I am guessing? They are good MP3's, sounded fine on my Audio-Technica ES7, Ripped with Lame at 320.

Good to know its not the headphones though, I did buy them used but they came looking brand new.

Also the headband, I notice a bit of the inner plastic ring on the headband pops out a bit on one side but does not on the other side, guess thats normal? Odd though....

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #1,717 of 3,348
I wear glasses too.. bend them out and give it some time.. (both my HD650's and HD-25's were killing me with pressure - just kept on bending them out and now they're super comfy). But then again, I cheated.. got an SP band as I wasn't a fan of the split headband and re-cabled.
HD 25-1 II's on the left with the SP head-band and Moon Audio Silver Dragon IEM cable (HD650 cable is just as good and 10x cheaper)
Pretty awesome with the FiiO E10.

Quote:

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,718 of 3,348
Just got these today as a gift to myself, and my first set of "audiophile" headphones, having heard only the HD280s before as a reference. I asked for a set of Grado SR60s for Christmas, very excited to note the difference and hear the famous Grados sound if I should receive them. Got these as a more portable set of headphones without sacrificing much of anything on any end of the spectrum; be it portability, durability, sound, looks, etc.

I've been listening for an hour and I'm in love. So far the comfort level isn't too bad with just the pleather pads, but definitely can feel it setting in and can see how it could be a problem after long sessions. Definitely better than my previous headphones I was using. (Cheap 30 dollar mic, haha!)

The bass was a lot more than I was expecting for a lot of songs. I'm loving my music right now, have honestly just sat here jamming for an hour. Wouldn't go as far as to recommend these for someone looking for say, a Beats alternative in terms of bass, but who wants that much muddy nonsense anyways?

Noise isolation is good, but I feel very overhyped for what people were saying. I can still hear my mechanical keyboard over the music, but maybe that's because I am not listening very loud and blue switches are very loud.

I love how underwhelming they appear. Nothing that would make them particularly a target for theft, aren't overly flashy, and have a low-profile all together.

I can even hear what sounds like the actual guitar string vibrating, kinda crazy to be honest. I listen to metal occasionally and the harsher, screamed lyrics are actually audible and understandable as opposed to anything else I've experienced where it was impossible to distinguish what they were saying. Cymbals sound amazing. I can hear backup vocals that I didn't even know existed. Lyrics are no longer a mystery requiring me to go online to figure out certain words; just listen.

I'm not sure I'm a believer in burn in or that I'd notice the difference with switching cables, seeing as these are my first set of headphones of good quality so I'm going to give these a good month of listening before spending more money on them even if it is a negligible amount.

I'm seriously loving Muse and Modest Mouse on these things. So happy they were recommended to me. Was between these and the DT770s and I'm unbelievably pleased with my choice.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,719 of 3,348
I have tested the HD 25 and must say that they were very good headphones.  I can somewhat understand why they are considered legendary.  Too bad I compared them to a pair of DT1350s so I probably couldnt appreciate them THAT much since those were astonishing.

Another remarkable thing about the HD 25 was the good build quality despite it being almost only made of plastic ._.  At least they were very light that way :D

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #1,720 of 3,348

Quote:
I wear glasses too.. bend them out and give it some time.. (both my HD650's and HD-25's were killing me with pressure - just kept on bending them out and now they're super comfy). But then again, I cheated.. got an SP band as I wasn't a fan of the split headband and re-cabled.
HD 25-1 II's on the left with the SP head-band and Moon Audio Silver Dragon IEM cable (HD650 cable is just as good and 10x cheaper)
Pretty awesome with the FiiO E10.

I'm thinking about getting an SP headband and HD650 cable for mine as well. Love the headphones, but would prefer a more normal set up with the cable entry on the bottom and a regular headband. Though I was thinking about possibly just getting V-Moda M80s instead.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #1,721 of 3,348
Just got the voicecoil wire soldered back to the contacts. HAND Y U NO STOP SHAKING? VOICECOIL WIRE Y U SO THIN AND ENAMELED?

Protip- never attempt to repair your headphones with nail clippers and a kitchen knife.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #1,722 of 3,348
Tough call between the the M80's & HD-25.  The HD25's are awesome amped and with the FiiO E10, is my standard setup with my MacBook Air.  If you want a portable go everywhere, then the M80's. Love them with my iPhone and iPod classic unamped.  There's room for both 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting an SP headband and HD650 cable for mine as well. Love the headphones, but would prefer a more normal set up with the cable entry on the bottom and a regular headband. Though I was thinking about possibly just getting V-Moda M80s instead.

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #1,723 of 3,348

Quote:
Tough call between the the M80's & HD-25.  The HD25's are awesome amped and with the FiiO E10, is my standard setup with my MacBook Air.  If you want a portable go everywhere, then the M80's. Love them with my iPhone and iPod classic unamped.  There's room for both 
wink_face.gif

Haha, I'm trying to keep my collection small! I do like the HD25s. Run them unamped out of an older iPod Nano, and out of an iBasso D-Zero from my laptop with no complaints. But I started using them while snowboarding and the cable being so far to the outside of the headphones and so stiff is a little annoying in that case. Also, not splitting the headband at that point. Still a lot less annoying than dealing with IEMs in the cold with gloves on. Both the HD25 and M80 have a reputation for being tough and good sound so I think I just have to make a decision. Finding a good cable for the HD25 for cheap is proving more troublesome than I originally thought though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back