hd25-1 impressions thread
Nov 18, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #1,666 of 3,348
K601 or AD900

If you are still willing to consider closed: MDR-7509HD.  Have you read up on SRH840?

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #1,667 of 3,348

I'm certainly willing to consider closed, although both of those open options are a bit out of my price range, unless I were to look into the closed version of the Ad900 (the A900,which for some reason is cheaper on Amazon), but I've heard it lacks any type of low end.   

Sadly I haven't read up on either the Sonys or the Shures, as I'm currently looking at HD598s but I feel like they'd be a bit too ridiculous to use on the go. 
Quote:
K601 or AD900

If you are still willing to consider closed: MDR-7509HD.  Have you read up on SRH840?

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #1,668 of 3,348
Oh right, oops.

Nov 19, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #1,669 of 3,348
What do you mean by ridiculous? They look pretty classy to me, if a bit big. And they don't need too much juice so amping is optional. Low end wise I'd say that they don't really have much bass quantity compared to closed phones, though quality is real decent.

Quote:
I'm certainly willing to consider closed, although both of those open options are a bit out of my price range, unless I were to look into the closed version of the Ad900 (the A900,which for some reason is cheaper on Amazon), but I've heard it lacks any type of low end.   

Sadly I haven't read up on either the Sonys or the Shures, as I'm currently looking at HD598s but I feel like they'd be a bit too ridiculous to use on the go. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #1,670 of 3,348
When I say ridiculous, I don't mean that in a negative way. At first glance they look like something you wouldn't want to leave the house with due to their size and openness. I personally don't like the aesthetics of the design, but to me that doesn't matter to much in looking for a pair of headphones.

Quote:
What do you mean by ridiculous? They look pretty classy to me, if a bit big. And they don't need too much juice so amping is optional. Low end wise I'd say that they don't really have much bass quantity compared to closed phones, though quality is real decent.

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #1,671 of 3,348
When I say ridiculous, I don't mean that in a negative way. At first glance they look like something you wouldn't want to leave the house with due to their size and openness. I personally don't like the aesthetics of the design, but to me that doesn't matter to much in looking for a pair of headphones.

Quote:

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #1,672 of 3,348
Anyone here experienced with Ultrasones closed back headphones? I'm looking for an upgrade from the 25 ii and the Ultrasone 8's and Signature Pros look pretty good. Anyone know how they compare to the HD 25 ii's and is it a worth while upgrade, or am I just wasting money on a very slight difference in sound.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #1,673 of 3,348

Just to say I'm really enjoying the sound of my HD25, right out of the box! I bought the Adidas Originals version (got a great deal at the same price of the Basic Edition) and swapped the original cable for an HD600 cable I had laying around. Of course, they still need to proper burn-in, but I like them already, a lot... 
cool.gif

The only thing I'm not enjoying so much is the headband. I know it's brand new, but it just clamps very very hard. Does anyone knows if the HD25 SP headband is compatible with the cups, and if it reduces the clamping force? At least in pictures, the cups seem the same shape as on the SP version and so the headband change should be an easy straight swap. My biggest doubt is just that the part of the headband where the cups fit seems a lot thinner on the SP headband than on the HD25-1 split headband... 
confused.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #1,674 of 3,348
I'm using the SP head band. You have to reverse the cups.. you've probably already done that if you're using the HD600 cable.  I replaced the foam on the SP headband with one of the pleather ones from the original.  Love the modified setup!

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #1,675 of 3,348
Nice to know that! Yes, I've already inverted the cups to use the HD600 cable straight down... But what about the clamping force, is it really reduced using the SP headband? 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
I'm using the SP head band. You have to reverse the cups.. you've probably already done that if you're using the HD600 cable.  I replaced the foam on the SP headband with one of the pleather ones from the original.  Love the modified setup!

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #1,676 of 3,348
The SP headband doesn't have that much less clamping force then 25-1's if I recall correctly.

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #1,677 of 3,348
Actually, the SP band is really comfortable (especially with the original pleather instead of the are foam lining).. I noticed it right away.  It's been 6 months now so it's hard to remember.  I have a big head and they're super comfy!

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #1,678 of 3,348
I was somehow approved for getting HD25-1 IIs on Amazon.com for $129.95 (with free shipping, plus $12.64 import fee deposit) in Canada. I previously ordered these with an US address when it was on sale. The customer service reps accepted to honor the price as an one-time offer. But I got standard shipping instead of one-day shipping :frowning2: Estimated delivery time is between the 15th to 24th.
EDIT: Delivery estimate is now December 14.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #1,679 of 3,348
That's a pretty amazing price.. well worth the wait.. Congratulations!!

Quote:
I was somehow approved for getting HD25-1 IIs on Amazon.com for $129.95 with free shipping in Canada. I previously ordered these with an US address when it was on sale. The customer service reps accepted to honor the price as an one-time offer. But I got standard shipping instead of one-day shipping
frown.gif
Estimated delivery time is between the 15th to 24th.

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #1,680 of 3,348
Ok, thanks! I've been searching for prices for the SP headband and one foam strip from the split headband, and it seems I need to spend never less than $50 (in Europe, with shipping costs). I'll wait some time to see if the split headband lamping force loosens up a bit with time and use... 
wink.gif

Quote:
Actually, the SP band is really comfortable (especially with the original pleather instead of the are foam lining).. I noticed it right away.  It's been 6 months now so it's hard to remember.  I have a big head and they're super comfy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back