hd25-1 impressions thread
Aug 14, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #1,021 of 3,348
Oh and one final question.

I've been looking to get the HD 650 cables as suggested by many to replace the stock cables, but the problem is I can only seem to find them in 3m, which I think would be a bit too much for portable use, and i'd look a bit silly trying to cram in 9ft of cables into my pockets.

Are there any shorter variants? Or will I have to do some DIY?

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #1,022 of 3,348

Quote:
No I have not, I think they are in a class of their own.

Ahhh, I thought this statement was referring to the HD25 isolation not the ER4.  That explains why you were confused about my misinterpretation.  I was just tossing you some data, lol.  
wink_face.gif

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #1,023 of 3,348
When I first bought the HD 25-1s I too was set on getting custom cables. After reading into it and using the stock cable I decided it wasn't worth it.
Cables will make the most minimal improvements, and is the last thing to consider when upgrading any rig. Chances are the money can be better spent elsewhere improving your set up.

@ Anaxilus: Yeah, I think we're both confused. Either way the isolation of the HD 25s is great. ;D

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #1,025 of 3,348
Just received it, and so far loving it! Great pair of cans these
biggrin.gif

Just one concern: My package came with no papers or warranty whatsoever...not even a small manual or contents list..nada. Is this normal?
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #1,026 of 3,348

Quote:
Just received it, and so far loving it! Great pair of cans these
biggrin.gif

Just one concern: My package came with no papers or warranty whatsoever...not even a small manual or contents list..nada. Is this normal?
confused_face_2.gif

Yeah same here. I don't know why but I bought it from an authorized dealer. It was even listed on a sennheiser's website.

Where did you buy yours?

Aug 22, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #1,027 of 3,348
Hi everyone, posted this in the DIY section but wasn't getting any responses, so I thought I'd ask here:
I'm thinking of buying a secondhand HMD-25, but would like to remove the mic. Is this possible? How do I do it?

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #1,031 of 3,348

Quote:
No, I avoided those due to suspicion. I opted for the full price £140 ones on the same website:

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/sennheiser-hd-25-1-mk-ii-professional-headphones-1-5m-straight-cable/286466-01/

I Googled the basic edition, and it seems to be sold in quite a few online stores. Asked a few sites about it (including Juno), and the explanation always comes back the same: no tech difference, just a lack of spare (velour) pads and the carry case. I don't plan to use a case anyway, so I've just pulled the trigger on the Basic Edition.

Curse you Head-Fi! Now my HD 25-1 II is on its FedEx'd way.

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #1,033 of 3,348
Hi everyone, my HD 25-1 Basic Edition just arrived in the mail from Juno Records. I think there's still a great deal of mystery surrounding this "Basic Edition", so I thought I'd clear the air somewhat. Here's some snapshots of the packaging and the cans themselves.

The packaging has "Basic Edition" emblazoned in the lower right corner--that's printed as part of the box art, and isn't pasted on.

On the side it indicates the package includes: the HD 25-1 headphones, and a 3.5mm (1/8") to 6.5mm (1/4") adapter. That's it, no carry case, nylon bag, or velour pads. 

Tech specs are on the back, and are indeed exactly what one would expect from the HD 25-1, as opposed to the SP. I'm sorry the text is so small here, so I'll reproduce some of what's stated:
Frequency response / 16 - 22,000 Hz
Impedance / 70 Ω
Max. SPL at 1kHz, 1 Vrms / 120 dB
THD at 1 kHz, 1 Vrms / < 0.3%

And now we come to the money shot(s). As you can clearly see on the left cup, it states, "HD 25-1 II" and "70 Ω". I'm sure these have become key identifying marks of the headphones, so as to differentiate them from the SP version. The pads are stock pleather, and the cable is 1.5m straight, terminated in a right-angled 1/8" with a screw-on 1/4" adapter. You can also see the famed split headband, but I have a clearer shot that we'll get to in just a minute.

...And here we are. Split's in perfect working condition. Am listening to them right now, and Dave Matthews Band sounds fantastic.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #1,035 of 3,348
I picked up a pair of these today from TCR London (the basics, with a pair of velour pads)

The velours definitely seem to improve / smooth the sound, very listenable (the pleathers seem harsher to my ears)..

Anyways, fingers crossed, these will stop me buying IEM after IEM (stopped me getting the JVC FX700 this month anyway)

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back