hd25-1 impressions thread
Aug 25, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #736 of 3,348
I use the 600 cable 037974, and its a very nice improvement over the stock steel cable. For a great portable setup, use the pelather pad and this cable, it'll block all the sound from the outside and the highs will sound nice.
I heard the 650 cable was different from the 600 cable as in not as good.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #737 of 3,348
I have been using the 037974 (which is actually listed as being the 560 not 600 cable)
for the past six months and just changed to the 092885 (650 cable). I wasn't expecting
it to make a BIG difference, but I was shocked how so much better that I got what I
guess could be termed an endorphine rush! The easiest description I can use, is
that it gives the music more realism and presence and definitely expands the soundstage.
I don't know how it could be described as being "not as good" as the 560 cable, at least
to me. Since each cable is only about $20, order both and judge which is better yourself
and sell the other one or keep it for a spare. In another six months I will have to try
changing back to the stock steel cable to see the difference. When I listened to the
stock cable, it was the lack of soundstage that was the biggest dissatisfaction, so if
THAT improves over the 650, I will be REALLY shocked!!!

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #739 of 3,348
Out of the box, A-Bing the HD 25-1 and my WELL burnt in Denon D1001s, i'm really favoring the SQ of the Denons. Mainly the forward vocals (not sure whether I prefer or not) and the narrow soundstage of the HD 25-1s weren't what I was expecting coming from the D1001 sound.

Whats the estimate on the burn in time for these cans?

As far as cables, I definitely would prefer one that terminates in 1/8" and the 650 does not. The 600 and the 560 do, but i'd like to give the stock cable a fair shot (in spite of first impressions).

For anyone ordering these from NewEgg, don't be surprised like I was when your box doesn't contain the velour pads. Instead, inside the box was a zipper case and the HD 25-1s (70ohm) in a bag with the 1/4 adapter screwed on.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #740 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmike34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of the box, A-Bing the HD 25-1 and my WELL burnt in Denon D1001s, i'm really favoring the SQ of the Denons. Mainly the forward vocals (not sure whether I prefer or not) and the narrow soundstage of the HD 25-1s weren't what I was expecting coming from the D1001 sound.

Whats the estimate on the burn in time for these cans?

As far as cables, I definitely would prefer one that terminates in 1/8" and the 650 does not. The 600 and the 560 do, but i'd like to give the stock cable a fair shot (in spite of first impressions).

For anyone ordering these from NewEgg, don't be surprised like I was when your box doesn't contain the velour pads. Instead, inside the box was a zipper case and the HD 25-1s (70ohm) in a bag with the 1/4 adapter screwed on.

That sucks - if they are called "new" HD25-1 II then the velour pads should be there. Mine took about 250 hours to burn-in, and you will love the frequency balanced and bass after that, but the narrow soundstage remains. Their best feature is the isolation.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #741 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sucks - if they are called "new" HD25-1 II then the velour pads should be there. Mine took about 250 hours to burn-in, and you will love the frequency balanced and bass after that, but the narrow soundstage remains. Their best feature is the isolation.

I e-mailed NewEgg about that, I doubt they will do anything but the pads are only $12 away. I find the pleather(?) pads to be fine anyway.

Good to hear about the burn-in. In terms of isolation and most noticeably detail they are head and shoulders above the denons. A genre change (from hip-hop to rock & reggae) has revealed some strong points. Also reveals the mixing problems prevalent in most hip hop music and as a result it is quite unflattering.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #742 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmike34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I e-mailed NewEgg about that, I doubt they will do anything but the pads are only $12 away. I find the pleather(?) pads to be fine anyway.

Good to hear about the burn-in. In terms of isolation and most noticeably detail they are head and shoulders above the denons. A genre change (from hip-hop to rock & reggae) has revealed some strong points. Also reveals the mixing problems prevalent in most hip hop music and as a result it is quite unflattering.

Well I looked into it, and it looks like the NewEgg HD25-1 II are labeled a "special edition" and they come with a case instead of velour pads. Velour pads are not listed on the packaging as being included.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #743 of 3,348
Mine should be arriving from Newegg tomorrow. At the price of $108 shipped, I could not pass them up.

I am actually surprised to hear that these are the special edition package (ie case and no veloud pads) which I believe cost more (?) according to some foreign sites selling in euros.

I don't mind them not coming with the velour pads as I have ordered a red replacement set that comes with both replacement red velour pads and red velour paddings for the split headband. Ordered for $35 US shipped from a UK store. I'll post pictures with em when they arrive.

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #744 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine should be arriving from Newegg tomorrow. At the price of $108 shipped, I could not pass them up.

I am actually surprised to hear that these are the special edition package (ie case and no veloud pads) which I believe cost more (?) according to some foreign sites selling in euros.

I don't mind them not coming with the velour pads as I have ordered a red replacement set that comes with both replacement red velour pads and red velour paddings for the split headband. Ordered for $35 US shipped from a UK store. I'll post pictures with em when they arrive.

I couldn't resist either. I'm sad to read that I won't get the velour pads.

I look forward to seeing those red pads. I might have to search for those.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #746 of 3,348
Burn-in never ceases to amaze me.

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #747 of 3,348
Well, out of the box I'd say the HD 25-1 II sound great. I'll probably continue to listen to them like this with the stock cable and pads for awhile. I do have both HD580 and HD650 cables+Sennheiser 3.5mm adapter cable that I will eventually hook up to them. Just want to spend sometime with each setup.

I really do love the short cable length of the stock cable though.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #748 of 3,348
Just got mine this afternoon from Newegg. It was a somewhat disappointing package reception because the package arrived in a cardboard box that was barely bigger than the retail box. The retail box contain nothing but the zipper bag, which was holding the pair of headphones enclosed in a clear plastic bag. Very minimal packaging, but I didn't pay a lot for these cans, so it evens out I guess.

Anyway, a main reason that I chose these cans is their famous isolation capability. Indeed it did not disappoint. By wearing these cans without listening to music, I cannot hear noise from the ceiling fan directly above me, nor can I hear the six fans inside the computer sitting two feet away from me. With music on, I can't even hear myself type (I listen at pretty low volume). I also find these cans to be quite comfortable, as I have been wearing them for three hours straight without feeling any pain or discomfort, aside from some sweat building up from the lack of AC in my apartment.

Overall I am very satisfied with the sound quality. The sound is quite detailed for its size, and there is more than enough bass for the occasional industrial/dance music in my playlist. One thing I would change about these cans is that dreaded steel cable, which is probably more microphonic than any headphone cable I've ever used in my life. The "easy" fix would be to buy a HD 600/650 cable, but I bought these cans for sake of portability, and a 10 ft long cable defeats that purpose. Only if I could find a 5 ft HD 600/650 cable for under $100...

With a non-microphonic cable, I'd give these a 5/5
L3000.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #749 of 3,348
What they call the special edition is the hd25 II LE, it comes with the zipper bag 2m steel angled plug mini jack cable and only pleather pad.
And btw the velour pads are better for hot environments.

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #750 of 3,348
Mine arrived today. I instantly liked them. They need burn-in of course but out of the box they don't do anything hideously wrong. The isolation is impressive as advertised. These are keepers...much more listening needed for final impressions. I like the bag and will use it...I'd like to find the velour pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back