hd25-1 impressions thread
May 21, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #676 of 3,348
HD25 isolates a lot better, and I no longer own IEMs. So, the idea is that I'll use HD25 for trips. I just don't take them very often...and I'm getting a pair of NE-7. So...I'm tempted to sell. Hum hum.

I'm getting a D10, I think. The Pico's really tempting, but my wallet says Nien!

May 24, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #677 of 3,348
The left earcup is going out more and more on mine. It use to happen really rarely but no it's been happening more often.

It's easily fixable by shaking them a bit or fiddling with the wire going to the left earcup, but still really annoying.

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #678 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by winnston /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The left earcup is going out more and more on mine. It use to happen really rarely but no it's been happening more often.

It's easily fixable by shaking them a bit or fiddling with the wire going to the left earcup, but still really annoying.

Anyone know how to fix this problem?

x2, can anyone help?

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #680 of 3,348
I have a pair of ESW9's, they sound better to me... but... I really really like the HD25, so much so that I would often recommend them over the ESW9. I want one quite a bit, and intend to get one soon. They are everything the ESW9's aren't. They can be thrown around, abused, they actually isolate. I see no reason to not have both. They both have so much charm and character.

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #681 of 3,348
just order my pair
biggrin.gif

I can finally return my borrowed ones :p
evil friends making me appreciate good sound
biggrin.gif

cant wait for them to come.

orderd from thomann.de and they have a super customer support
biggrin.gif

sent my order whitout complete postcode,took less then 2 minutes for them to mail me and ask for the correct one
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for a great forum, I learnd alot here.

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #682 of 3,348
My first post here, but I have been around for a while searching for information.

I just got a pair of these wonderfull cans - HD 25. After searching around on this forum it was clear for me that this would be a good choice.

I was looking for a sealed set for portable and home use with GREAT SQ. Started up with the Denon D1001, but I thougt it was to much plastic feeling (both in terms of sound and quality). I returned it after two days and decided to go for the HD 25. I must say I am VERY satisfied, it's perfect for my needs!

These cans will be used as both a portable set and also for use at home. A nice (and sealed) alternative to my Grado SR 125. I have just replaced the pads to the more comfortable, and have placed an order for the HD 650 cable.

I know that these cans really don't need an amp, but I really think it improves a lot with a nice source and a dedicated amp.

I am sure these cans will stay with me for a long long time
happy_face1.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #683 of 3,348
I've been using a pair of HD25-1 for 4 years now. And I must say that I really like them! Small, lightweight, acceptable sound, comfortable, good isolation. Been using them both at home and outside with my mp3 player. No matter if it's -20*c or +30*c outside, the 25-1 still lives! Just skin from the pads that have broken for me. But the pads are so cheap to replace. There are phones with better sound for the money, but these are the best phones overall.

Jul 18, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #684 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....and have placed an order for the HD 650 cable.

I know that these cans really don't need an amp, but I really think it improves a lot with a nice source and a dedicated amp.

I am sure these cans will stay with me for a long long time
happy_face1.gif

Ah the HD25 does scale up if you use an amp, but I find that it is very listenable already even without an amp. You also won't regret the cable upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #685 of 3,348
I searched this thread (and the entire forum) for a direct comparison of the HD25's to the ATH-M50's but haven't found one, so sorry if I missed this.

They seem to be targeting the same type of user and I have a morbid curiosity because I recently purchased the M50's.
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #686 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by cknelson15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I searched this thread (and the entire forum) for a direct comparison of the HD25's to the ATH-M50's but haven't found one, so sorry if I missed this.

They seem to be targeting the same type of user and I have a morbid curiosity because I recently purchased the M50's.
biggrin.gif

I don't know about the M50, but the HD 25-1 was originally designed for ENG and location recording - that's why the cable was short; originally 1.2m (now 1.5m with the Mk.II), the min-jack was rt.angled (so it does not stick out from the camera or damage the socket if knocked) and why it was 120dB efficient to give a good level from battery powered equipment.

Used for a lot more things now, of course.

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #687 of 3,348
Thanks for the reply, John. I'm a DJ so that's where I came across these in the first place and I know they're pretty much the standard in Europe.

What sort of response have you gotten from the DJ community in terms of why they like them so much and have you re-engineered successive models to cater to that group at all?

Jul 19, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #688 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by cknelson15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply, John. I'm a DJ so that's where I came across these in the first place and I know they're pretty much the standard in Europe.

What sort of response have you gotten from the DJ community in terms of why they like them so much and have you re-engineered successive models to cater to that group at all?

DJs liked them because they were tough, sealed well, had a twist-able earpiece for single-ear use (so they could line up the next disk and still hear what was going on in the room), the steel cable that was securely anchored and couldn't break and the fact they are excellent for listening to detail.

We do have a pair in our "black museum" in Sennheiser UK, where a night club burned down with everything destroyed and the DJ found his HD 25 in the rubble - took them home and plugged them in and they still worked!

Sennheiser UK gave him a brand new pair and kept the old ones, in exchange, for the black museum.

They have not been re-engineered at all since they came out in about 1988, except the mini-plug contacts in the earpieces were changed to gold-plated ones (about 15 years ago) to minimise corrosion when used for ENG work outside.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #689 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DJs liked them because they were tough, sealed well, had a twist-able earpiece for single-ear use (so they could line up the next disk and still hear what was going on in the room), the steel cable that was securely anchored and couldn't break and the fact they are excellent for listening to detail.

They have not been re-engineered at all since they came out in about 1988, except the mini-plug contacts in the earpieces were changed to gold-plated ones (about 15 years ago) to minimise corrosion when used for ENG work outside.

John, you'll be aware that a number of people have customised their beloved HD25s?

For general portable use... a shortish-length straight high quality copper cable with right angle jack and a headband that holds the capsules in the same place when you put them on again would be fantastic. Like some others, I adopted some HD650 cable and a HS25SP headband to achieve a basic upgrade. Any feedback you can pass back to HO might be much appreciated by future buyers.

The HD25s are not quite as wonderful as the (now discontinued) HD250s but they are a bit special.

James

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #690 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamescodway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, you'll be aware that a number of people have customised their beloved HD25s?

Yes

Quote:

For general portable use... a shortish-length straight high quality copper cable with right angle jack and a headband that holds the capsules in the same place when you put them on again would be fantastic. Like some others, I adopted some HD650 cable and a HS25SP headband to achieve a basic upgrade.

Don't use the SP headband - if yoy change the cable use the standard split headband - pull off the capsules and turn them round so the mini-connector socket is at the bottom - then it's easy to use the HD 650 cable if you wish.

Personally I hate the HD 414 / HD 25 SP headband, as the capsules are free to turn round and round and get the cable in a twist. This headband is excellent as it enables headphones to be sold at a lower price; but if moding the HD 25, keep the original headband.

Quote:

Any feedback you can pass back to HO might be much appreciated by future buyers.

The HD 25 is a pro headphone and the steel cable is needed for the job it's designed to do - I would not want to go away from the steel cable for my own HD 25. The number of people who want a copper cable over a steel is extremely small - and if you want copper then the HD 25-C II has a copper cable (the coiled version).

Quote:

The HD25s are not quite as wonderful as the (now discontinued) HD250s but they are a bit special.

Agreed, which is why I bought every HD 250 in the warehouse when they were discontinued. I have now 2 x test sample HD 250, 1 x HD 250 Mk.I and 3 x HD 250 II.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back