hd25-1 impressions thread
Jan 31, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #646 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone bought HD25's after using high end IEM's like Shure SE530 ?
How much of a fall back was it SQ wise ?
I think I had it with IEM's and have a decent fullsize headphone for home. So the HD25 would only be on the road where I rarely can concentrate on the subtility of the music I listen to.

So yes, I'm considering selling my SE530's, but I'm unsure what to replace them with.

Don't know about SE530's but I just compared Westone UM2's with HD 25-1's (with HD 25-13 stock OFC cable) with various genres of 192-320 kbps mp3's, from Corda 2Move < Yamaha RX-V861 < Philips DVP3260.

No need for extensive comments, HD 25-1's do sound much, much better. On the other hand UM2's are much easier to drive, can get very loud with little input, though.

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #647 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, how good are these headphones for rock/metal?

They're fun and engaging with metal. I'm listening to them straight out of my laptop and they sound great but they improve with an amp. I love these things, they rock!

Feb 1, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #648 of 3,348
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone here had played around with alternative pads for the HD25 series, to experiment with comfort, sound, or both. So far most people usually opt for the velour if they dislike the pleather pads. A Google search doesn't yield much, and I've looked through a bit of this thread before and not found anything.

If you have, please share your experiences/thoughts. Here's my HD25-1 with HD400 foam pads. Results in a loss of ambient detail (ie. more "airy") and bass (EQ helps, something like +8dB in 55-110Hz). Sounds rather interesting. It feels like Grado comfies, and leaks sound out and in so I won't be using it portably. I've been using it when I'm gaming because I can hear myself talk when I'm using a mic.

hd251bku5.jpg

I normally use the stock pleather pads because I find it comfy and it has the best isolation (and bass impact).

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #649 of 3,348
I may not be able to resist any longer... has anyone got the Limited Edition yet ?
I don't need the softer ear pads, will use it outdoors so a short cable is a plus for me (may change it later on ...)

I like the case as well, seems better than the regular bag.

Has anyone seen it at a lower price than 145 euros ?

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #652 of 3,348
SENNHEISER HD-25 LE - U.K. International Cyberstore
This shop calls it the hd25 LE.

SENNHEISER - Sennheiser HD 25-1 Mk II Professional Headphones (special edition version with carrying case) (1.5 m steel cable, 6.3 mm adapter included)
This shop calls it the hd25-1 mkII special edition and has a pic of the packaging.

Compared to the normal hd-25-1 II package and from looking at the pictures from the first link, it looks like sennheiser has traded the soft pads and carrying bag for a carrying case.

According to the thomann pics, it looks as though there have been some minor cosmetic changes to the headband. The markings on the top of the headband now only have sennheiser logos, which may or may not be larger, it's hard to tell from the pics. They do not include "made in ireland" or "made in germany" and the CE mark. One last thing is that there is no "do not throw away" symbol sticker on the inside of the headband.

Something strange I noticed about the thomann store is that the plug for their hd25-1 II regular edition has a straight plug. Mine came with a right angle plug. Another thing I found strange is that my hd25-1 II packaging says that the THD is <0.5% while the websites that I've looked at say <0.3% for both the hd25-1 II special edition package and regular hd25-1 II.

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #656 of 3,348
I tried some alternative pads to-day:

standard grados
IMG_4142.jpg

GS doughnuts:
IMG_4146.jpg

I'm quite accustomed to the stock velour pads, and think they're wonderful, so this wasn't really a step up in comfort. Both pads sucked out much of the famous bass punch, so they weren't a step up in sq either, the isolation was pretty much gone too, so I removed them quite quickly.
Maybe a set of tightly taped standard grado bowls would work?

Apr 6, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #659 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallawalla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beats the crap out of my hd 280s.

I should hope so - they are double the price.
icon10.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #660 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by emjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've head my hd25 for almost a year when my left cup started to fal out occasionally... not completely, the volume just went down a bit. I had to wiggle or touch the cable going into it just barely and the sound popped back to normal again. But during the course of a month or two or so, when I was listening to my hd-25 I was more busy trying to get sound out of the cup (pressing the plug inside my cup, TRYING to get sound but failing) then listeing to music.

I sent my headphones to sennheiser more than two months ago and still don't have them back.

I want to know whether this is a cable prolem or a problem inside the cup, as I thought it was the latter and couldn't fix this myself, so I sent my headphonesback.

THey're sturdy, offer great sound, just too bad that one DOES show problems you've got to wait a couple of months before they fix it.

I too have had the same problem. it started after about their second year of use in the right cup and now with another year or two the problem is plaguing both cups. However my friend with the same aged phones has not had this problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back