hd25-1 impressions thread
May 9, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #496 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndbest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My right channel sometimes cuts out, this sometimes happens when I re-adjust the earcup. I'm thinking it's a cable problem, because where the cable dissapears in the headband it seems slightly damaged. After some more investigating I can say it's definitely the corner/gutter the cable is lying in, it seems to be chipping in my cable.

Anyone else have the same problem? If so, how'd you fix it? Right now I'm thinking rounding off the courner would seem to do the trick, I'm just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience.

I don't want to send mine in, I use them about 4-5 hours a day commuting back and forth to school, and I can't really go without them anymore. Should I just buy a new cable and hope it doesn't happen again, or upgrade the cable at once? How long are HD600/650 cables? I managed to locate an internet store in the Netherlands, but they didn't have any info about the cable.

If it's too long, can it be terminated? Reason I'm asking is because to me the standard HD25-1 is the perfect length.

I had to jump in here. It is the way the connectors of the HD580/600/650 are designed that's bugging you as it did me. What
I had come up with was to terminate whatever cable I wanted to use with the HD25 with the origional connectors of the HD25's stock cable. I think it could be the connectors of the 25's matching only the 25's. I say this as the left and right drivers of the 580/600/650 are equal in every way so it must be the design of the 25's causing the cable problem. I cured this problem by terminating the cable of my choice with the connectors of the origional stock cable. It does create a sonic change good or bad(At first I din't like it but after only a daywith them running in I gave listen and liked what I heard. Even an inch of that steal will brighten the sound
I imagine you could adjust this affect by the amout of stock cable before the conector,. if your really good and can cut right down to the connector itself and know how to avoid any extra steel conductor you can avoid the brightness added by even that inch of stock cable
i left in order to have an easy time reterminating the cable. The stock cable's connectors fit well.

May 10, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #497 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my HD25, I ended up grabbing one of those HD650 cables and shortening/reterminating it with a right-angle Neutrik plug. The sonic improvement was noticeable.

I did the same thing.
Noticeably cleared up the sound (whole range), and also increased bass impact and extension. I'm more than satisfied with the level of bass in these now. Perfect. If there was anymore I might start getting fatigue. If there was any less I would be bored with some genres.

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #499 of 3,348
Just thought I'd pull this thread back forward.
wink.gif
Not much action in the fan club it seems, but I've got nothing but praises for these Sennies.

I've been wearing my pair almost non stop since I got it yesterday, oh they sound so superb straight out of an Ipod. It's great not having to carry an amp around. They block out the noise when I'm walking around the city and the chatter in class, they don't leak, they're more comfortable (!) and secure than my Alessies. I spend most of my class hours really hunched over a drawing board so it's nice that my phones stay firmly seated no matter how I sit.

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #500 of 3,348
Got mine a few days ago - a big upgrade from my Senn HD280's that I loved right up until I put the HD25-1's on! More presence, makes the HD280's sound a bit tinny, actually.

I bit the bullet and ordered HD600 and HD650 cables to try out - see if one is sonically better than the other, but it sounds like either would be a significant upgrade from the stock steel cable.

Love them!

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #501 of 3,348
I've had mine for about four years and I still use them almost every day. I must have a million hours on mine... I like them because they're pretty versatile for being a portable: electric and acoustic guitars are sweet, bass is deep and tight, and highs are non-fatiguing. I listen to metal, dance and audio books, it does everything fairly well in a subdued and compact package.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #502 of 3,348
My HD600 cables arrived today.
smily_headphones1.gif
Wasn't really expecting much but the improvement is quite pleasing, I'm not really too confident with trying to describe the effects it has, it's a rather ambiguous topic (cable sound).

Did take some effort to get the right lead into a tidy loop around the element spoke though, unlike the standard HD25-1 cable these have equally long left/right leads. Had to cut off the Y-split heatshrink, pull them apart a bit, and loop the cables. Taped it back up in place of heatshrink at the extended split. They're also a bit thicker so getting them into the headband groove needed a bit of force. I might put a pic up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burkeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got mine a few days ago - a big upgrade from my Senn HD280's that I loved right up until I put the HD25-1's on! More presence, makes the HD280's sound a bit tinny, actually.

I bit the bullet and ordered HD600 and HD650 cables to try out - see if one is sonically better than the other, but it sounds like either would be a significant upgrade from the stock steel cable.

Love them!

EDIT 2:
Should've checked the thread more thoroughly first.
rolleyes.gif
Saw the pics on page 12, fixed my loop following those.

Jun 17, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #504 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by charonme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the difference between HD25-1 II and HD25-1 ?

Can't really comment SQ-wise, I imagine that they're identical. I think what differs is the new model is packaged with an extra set of velour pads and has a gold plated mini jack. Not really any reason to try and get the older one.

Jun 17, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #505 of 3,348
afaik the HD25-1 is not an older model, I think they still sell it without the extra pads and bag the HD25-1 II comes with.

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #507 of 3,348
Hi,

I have recently bought a HD25-1 from tomjonesrocks on here, and it will be coming with the HD650 cable.

However my problem is that I have a 3.5mm jack on my PC, so how would I connect that to it? Is there a 6.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor?

Or should I buy another cable?

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #508 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by XtremeD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I have recently bought a HD25-1 from tomjonesrocks on here, and it will be coming with the HD650 cable.

However my problem is that I have a 3.5mm jack on my PC, so how would I connect that to it? Is there a 6.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor?

Or should I buy another cable?

Since you bought them from a Head-fier, I think it's best you ask him. The HD650 itself comes with a small adaptor dongle, maybe you could buy one off him.

Otherwise Grado sells a dongle for this purpose and so does Sennheiser.

Jun 17, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #510 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by XtremeD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you please provide links, can't find any on google.

This is what you need:

Grado quarter to eighth inch plug Adapter @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

(Also a UK site in case you'd like to order somewhere closer, although as with all Grado products outside the US it's pricey.)

Grado Mini Adaptor Cable - Available From Stone Audio UK Ltd

You could also just drop by your local electronics store and pick up a much cheaper, simple plug-in adapter. They put more stress on the minijack than the dongles but since you're using them at your computer it shouldn't be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back