hd25-1 impressions thread
Dec 13, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #3,331 of 3,348
Hi,

I've stupidly sold my HD25 about 10 years ago because I prefered over-ear that time. But now I'm back :smile_phones: I've stumbled upon the HD25 Light:
  • quite cheap: 80 € (45 € less than the standard version)
  • lightweight
  • and IMHO also better looking: less flimsy because of single headband and two sided Y-cable
I really like them so far again, but comfort could be a bit better. I've ordered the original velour pads and some thick sheepskin pads from Aliexpress. Let's see...

BTW:
  • The light version is "Made in Romania"
  • article number of the light version: 508664
  • article number of the old light version: 506910
The newer version of HD25 Light has the same drivers as the HD25. The previous version of HD25 Light had a cheaper less performant driver, not at par with HD25. Maybe you can check which one you have. Hint: newer version of HD25 light has its drivers at same impedance as HD25 drivers. Previous drivers on HD25 light had a different impedance and thus had a different performance overall. I wouldn’t recommend the previous HD25 Light. I have no reason not to recommend the newer version as there is no difference in the drivers from the HD25, only the frame and cable differ.

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #3,333 of 3,348
OK, I've testet the velour pads against the stock synthetic pads of the HD25 Light (new version). Currently I have two HD25 Light here, so I can change between them.

Comfort:
The velour pads are more comfortable. This actually is what you read everywhere :relieved: But IMHO the difference is not huge. I mean: if you can't stand the HD25 with the original pads, you also won't want to use the velours for long times.

Sound:
For sure the is a difference in sound signature. The overall volume of the velours is lower. That is because the mids and highs are somewhat reduced -> sound signature is a bit more L-shaped.
Which sounds better? That totally depends on your preferences and the music you are listening to. Sometimes I prefer the sound of the original pads, sometimes the sound of the velours.

P.S.: I've owned the HD25 about 10 years ago, now I have the HD25 light. It really may be possible, that the lights have less clamping force. IIRC the clamping force on the HD25 was the reason I've sold them 10 years ago. I have no problem with the lights now.

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #3,334 of 3,348
Hi everybody,
I am very interested in the sennheiser hd25 and would like to buy one. The problem is that I'm Amazon I see a lot of different types (different prices): special edition, special edition ii, sp, so ii, light, plus, plain vanilla hd25, etc. I am a bit confused and need some help to choose one. My aim is to get the best one in terms of sound quality. Could you give advice? Thanks in advance.

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:23 AM Post #3,335 of 3,348
Hi everybody,
I am very interested in the sennheiser hd25 and would like to buy one. The problem is that I'm Amazon I see a lot of different types (different prices): special edition, special edition ii, sp, so ii, light, plus, plain vanilla hd25, etc. I am a bit confused and need some help to choose one. My aim is to get the best one in terms of sound quality. Could you give advice? Thanks in advance.
If you can find one, a used HD25 Aluminium

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #3,337 of 3,348
Hi everybody,
Current models:

REGULAR HD25 (professional DJ) is probably the one that you want. It has the splitting headband, single side steel cable and swivelling cup and black false leather pads.

The PLUS version adds a second coiled cable, a second pair of pads (fabric) and a soft pouch. It’s the came headphone with a few extra accessories.

The current SPECIAL EDITION is exactly the same headphone again as the Plus but adds a rigid carrying case instead of the soft bag.

The HD25 LIGHT is a bit different: it has a different cable splitted on each cup (instead of being one sided) and has a simpler non-splitting headband and is typically 50$ cheaper than the regular HD25. But the headphone sounds the same, same drivers, same cups (apart from non-splitting headband and splitted cable between the cups and non-swivelling cup). It’s a simpler non-dj version. DJs appreciate the splitting headband, one sided cable and swivel cup on one side.

Previous models:

HD25 II Light (also known as SP) is an older model with a different less performing driver so please don’t touch! Been replaced by current HD25 Light which has better drivers for the regular version. Not available anymore and that’s a good thing.

HD25-1 II is the older regular model comparable to the current HD25 regular or plus version. No big difference but probably not available anymore. Adidas version is the same but with baby blue cable and pads.

Previous 75th anniversary special editions is same as regular but had retro look and logos and a second yellow false leather set of pads. Not available anymore.

HD25 Aluminium is same as Plus but has silver aluminium cups (instead of black plastic cups) which are more rigid. Not available anymore, difficult to find, collection item.

Amperior version is same as HD25 Aliminium but targeted for street use. So it has lower impedance drivers (18 ohms) to be be driven by phones, shorter blue TRRS cable that carries a mic on cable for phone use, same silver Aluminium cups as HD25 aluminium and softer synthetic pads. Not available anymore, difficult to find and collectors item.

Conclusion:

If I were you, I would either get the regular version or the Plus or special edition version depending if you favor the added accessories or not. It’s the one I have but I have bought a third party shorter and lighter 4ft cable from Newfantasia on Amazon so that I can use my HD25 on the go and use it to make calls with included remote and mic on cable.

Cables are easily interchangeable. Most parts of HD25 can be replaced if broken. It is entirely modular assembly so any change can be done yourself.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #3,339 of 3,348
Great! You've been very exhaustive. Thank you very much. I will follow your advice. I wonder if buying aftermarket aluminium cups and to substitute plastic ones is something to get more sound quality out of a standard hd25.
If you like aluminium cups you can check at Customs Cans in UK. They are specialized in HD25 modifications and have an aluminium replacement cup available. They also sell on eBay.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #3,342 of 3,348
So I like the HD25 Plus edition, but would like some improvements.

Tighter bass and less clamp force, also which pads to get for comfort ?
HD25 already has the tightest bass I’ve yet experienced in any headphone. I understand you may feel differently. For the clamp force, you may soften it by slightly and gently stretch and work out the headband in the middle, with your hands holding the headband on both sides. By massaging the headband a bit that way you may diminish the clamp force over time and experience better comfort.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #3,343 of 3,348
HD25 already has the tightest bass I’ve yet experienced in any headphone. I understand you may feel differently. For the clamp force, you may soften it by slightly and gently stretch and work out the headband in the middle, with your hands holding the headband on both sides. By massaging the headband a bit that way you may diminish the clamp force over time and experience better comfort.
Well, the 25s have a bit bloated bass that I feel from experience can be mitigated with different pads, I just don't want to order valour pads and be disappointed, so , what about pads ?

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #3,344 of 3,348
Well, the 25s have a bit bloated bass that I feel from experience can be mitigated with different pads, I just don't want to order valour pads and be disappointed, so , what about pads ?
I use stock pads on a pair and use on another pair Yaxi Type B pads designed for HD25 by third party manufacturer YAXI. These later ones are great and even more comfortable than stock pads.

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #3,345 of 3,348
Hi everybody,
Hi

I am not sure this is the right forum, I am happy for the mods to move this to the appropriate one but I have three pairs of HD25 for sale.

1. A pair of HD25 Aluminiums with black Yaxi type B pads (part worn), perfect working order, it has a straight 2.5m cable with gold 3.5mm jack I also have at least one genuine gold plated Sennheiser screw on 6.3mm adaptor (if I can find it!) also comes with original Sennheiser bag, original HD Aluminium memory foam pads and Sennheiser (or Yaxi, sorry cannot remember) velour pads, so, the original memory foam (slightly softer than normal HD25 iirc) Yaxi's and velours, has spare foam. Comes with original case, but no box, no receipt, sorry, I have owned them from new (from Bax or somewhere) and only ever used indoors on my old ipod or on my mac. Can post pictures. Am based in Surrey in UK, RH4 2AW, can post at cost or can be collected if local.

I also have a normal pair of original HD25's, made in Ireland, with the angled plug, with Sennheiser leatherette pads. These have the lead mass loading damper kit from Jay at CustomCans, really helps the bass.

Finally I have a custom pair of ear defenders made for me by Jay at great expense (think they were around £400 to get made iirc) great for all you DIYers and tradies. I tried the 3M ones and a few others, but the drivers were tinny and now they all have maximum volume limits to be compliant meh! So, I took a new pair of the highest rated 3M Peltor X5 ear defenders, sent Jay my new pair of HD25's and got Jay to fit the HD25 drivers into the defenders. They come with a removable clip in mini XLR jack and a 3.5mm jack on the other end, they sound great and much better than any similar music enabled ear defender! There isn't much space left in the cups! So they are not as comfortable as standard X5's and the bass isn't as powerful as the drivers are a different distance to your ears. I am pretty sure Jay fitted the mass damper kit to these as well. They come in a semi rigid case, work perfectly and sound great.

I also have a pair of Sennheiser PXC550's and a pair of PXC500 MkII's, both with aftermarket memory foam pads (surprisingly good one you get them on!) they both work great, the headband is a bit worn on the MkI's as you cannot replace.

Finally I have a pair of HDR170's, with charger stand, adaptor etc, just with no box, these also work perfectly and have new memory foam ear and headband pads.

Finally, finally XD, I also have a pair of 25+yr old Cherry Tannoy M2 speakers (made in Europe!) in excellent condition that I never use, a pair of modern white Wharfedale Diamond 220's only used for testing (brand new) plus a Sonos Play 3 and virtually unused Sonos Amp.

All for sale!

Anyone interested, hit me up and if I have peed off any mods by misposting, apologies and please transfer this to the appropriate forum, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back