hd25-1 impressions thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #2,461 of 3,348
I'm quite new so I can't really help man. I have however just placed an order for the Midnight HD-25 cable w/Oyaide Right angled plug @ BTG Audio.

I reckon shoot Brian from BTG Audio an email and see if he can sort something out for you. Can't comment on how fast the response will be apparently he is swamped with school/college/uni.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #2,463 of 3,348
I actually have the HD650 cable (on my HD580s, duh). I swapped them onto my HD25s and have been listening this morning. Bass seems a little cleaner and *slightly* more extended.

I might try to live with these for awhile although they are much longer than I need. Maybe the HD25 coiled cable will work better and it is copper.

I also ordered the Uber kit last night.

Update: Swapped back & forth and the copper cable is noticeably better. Steel cable sounds veiled in direct comparison.

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #2,464 of 3,348
My HD-25-1 II cable is slowly losing connection (as usual, connector problems).
Is there anything cheaper than the BTG Midnight I could replace the original cable with, which would still give me a better sounding set of cans? :)

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #2,465 of 3,348
  My HD-25-1 II cable is slowly losing connection (as usual, connector problems).
Is there anything cheaper than the BTG Midnight I could replace the original cable with, which would still give me a better sounding set of cans? :)

You can pick up the oyaide cables quite cheaply now which are pretty good. The stock cable is steel so even swapping to a >£10 Chinese one will give you a small improvement as they will mostly be made from standard copper or TPC but they probably would not last as long. 
Or if you are feeling adventurous you could build your self a nice braided one for a similar price to the oyaide ones but with better geometry - I'm sure there are loads of threads on that in the DIY section

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #2,466 of 3,348
Yes. One more vote for the oyaide. I have it and love it. With the black hd25 the red one looks cool. Can be had for 50-60 us dollars.

Cheers,
K

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #2,468 of 3,348
Is Ebay the preferred location to Order the Oyaide Cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of those eBay merchants carrying the Oyaide cable also sell through Amazon.
Edit: it's all up to you.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #2,470 of 3,348
I just did the Custom Cans uber damping kit. This is a definite must for the price. It was very easy (though I did pass on the driver mass loading strips).

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #2,471 of 3,348
I just did the Custom Cans uber damping kit. This is a definite must for the price. It was very easy (though I did pass on the driver mass loading strips).

I'd suggest trying the mass loading. For me it seems the main benefit is using the strips to cover the bass ports, giving you the ability to tweak the low end.

Or at least, thats what I think I've noticed. I'm not able to AB test seeing I only have one pair available.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #2,472 of 3,348
I'd suggest trying the mass loading. For me it seems the main benefit is using the strips to cover the bass ports, giving you the ability to tweak the low end.

Or at least, thats what I think I've noticed. I'm not able to AB test seeing I only have one pair available.

I did the small strips, actually. I passed on the long ones that go around the driver. I definitely notice improvement in the bass response. Tighter, punchier, more even.
And I hear you about AB testing. I can't really tell if the treble is smoothed out or if that's placebo. The improved bass I'm sure of, though.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #2,474 of 3,348

I did the small strips, actually. I passed on the long ones that go around the driver. I definitely notice improvement in the bass response. Tighter, punchier, more even.
And I hear you about AB testing. I can't really tell if the treble is smoothed out or if that's placebo. The improved bass I'm sure of, though.

Same. I feel the treble is a bit less splashy but it's hard to say for sure. The bass is definitely tighter though. It's like it the damping takes some of the midbass hump from the stock sound and pushes it down into the sub-bass region, making the low end sound deeper and more linear overall. I covered up all the bass ports except one of the long vents in the centre and left the driver itself well alone. I am not the most dextrous of people and the fear of damaging the voice coil was too great!
  what is the most recommended aftermarket cable for hd25 alum? I found the blue dragon from moon-audio is too heavy or inflexible for portable use.

IMO the sonic differences between OFC/SPC cables are minimal. The Custom Cans ones is reasonably priced and well made, so I recommend those. They're not as flexible as the stock cable though, I'll give you that.

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #2,475 of 3,348

Same. I feel the treble is a bit less splashy but it's hard to say for sure. The bass is definitely tighter though. It's like it the damping takes some of the midbass hump from the stock sound and pushes it down into the sub-bass region, making the low end sound deeper and more linear overall. I covered up all the bass ports except one of the long vents in the centre and left the driver itself well alone. I am not the most dextrous of people and the fear of damaging the voice coil was too great!

IMO the sonic differences between OFC/SPC cables are minimal. The Custom Cans ones is reasonably priced and well made, so I recommend those. They're not as flexible as the stock cable though, I'll give you that.

What I don't like about the stock cable is the length, 2m is simply too troublesome to be put into the pants'/jeans' pocket. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back