hd25-1 impressions thread
Dec 15, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #2,671 of 3,348
After listening to them amped and comparing it directly with the hd25 70ohm, I'm convinced they are the real deal! After volume match, the hd25-13 sound so much cleaning and flatter with the bass hitting much lower, so much more body! I would go as far to say they are on par with my alu with the bass being tighter on the alu.

ooh I'm tempted to pick up a pair of the Alu, though how are the upper mids? On my HD 25-1 plastic, theres a nasty spike around 8.5k ish hrz that makes the letter "s" VERY hot

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #2,672 of 3,348
After listening to them amped and comparing it directly with the hd25 70ohm, I'm convinced they are the real deal! After volume match, the hd25-13 sound so much cleaning and flatter with the bass hitting much lower, so much more body! I would go as far to say they are on par with my alu with the bass being tighter on the alu.

Congratulations on acquiring those and they look old ones at that but as new? Great find. I have always thought these would be the Holy Grail in HD25dom !

I would think they have the potential to scale up a lot with different amps?

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #2,673 of 3,348
  Congratulations on acquiring those and they look old ones at that but as new? Great find. I have always thought these would be the Holy Grail in HD25dom !

I would think they have the potential to scale up a lot with different amps?

My 70ohm variant scales WONDERFULLY, I would think the 600 Ohm would have even more potential! 

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #2,674 of 3,348
  ooh I'm tempted to pick up a pair of the Alu, though how are the upper mids? On my HD 25-1 plastic, theres a nasty spike around 8.5k ish hrz that makes the letter "s" VERY hot

I never notice the spike you are referring with the hd25-1 to but I can confirm the sibilance like the letter "s" has been reduced significantly.
Can you tell me the particular song you are hearing that best demonstrates the treble spike? 

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #2,677 of 3,348
  Drive Away My Heart? 

I think so, the lyric is "put a smile, put a smile on my face" that S in smile was SHARP on the HD 25 an only my HD 25 

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #2,678 of 3,348
  I think so, the lyric is "put a smile, put a smile on my face" that S in smile was SHARP on the HD 25 an only my HD 25 

The s sound did not at all sound harsh even on the hd25-1 on the track "Oh my god" (168kbps mp3) when tested on both sources, directly from my phone as well as the dacport lx>jds c5>phone (lg g3) set up. I do sometimes hear a bit of sibilance from time to time but not it in this particular track and nor does it bother me who is sensitive to bright treble and sibilance. 

What I can confirm is at high volumes, the 70ohm in the upper mids can sound a little too bright at times where the 600ohm doesn't and remains flat at all times with no peaks regardless of volume.   
So in a nutshell the main difference between the two is the mids across of whole fequency on the 600ohm is flatter with no peaks which makes for a smooth and more non fatiguing listening experience. Vocals sound more forwards which gives the impression of a smaller but more intimate sound stage and the bass reaches much much lower with more body when properly driven. 

P.S. The old wrinkly ear pads on the 600ohm is so much more softer and conformer than the firm stock pads on the hd25-II. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #2,681 of 3,348
  Does anyone know whether the HD25 Aluminium cable has the same build quality as the original HD25?

As far as I can tell it is the same cable as the HD25 mk II  - Steel cable, 2m, straight jack with round pins. So.. the same as the cable as the current HD25 mk II which is, in my opinion, better than the the mk I cable.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #2,683 of 3,348
Is these hd25 an upgrade in sound coming from an hd380 pro?? (used with an ibasso dx80) I think the confort isn't the same but the portability is much better for hd25

Not at all.  Quite the opposite, but you won't find a better portable as rugged as HD25 that easily.  I'd recommend using HD25 on the go and HD380 at home.

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #2,684 of 3,348
I've had a pair of HD25-1-i phones for about 10 years, and recently, I got a second-hand pair of the ii model that seem to have been barely used.

This later pair has heaps more bottom end than my old pair - pretty much to the point that they are not useful to me.  Does anyone know if this is something that's changed in the way this heaphone is manufactured, or whether there could be some other reason for this difference between the two HD25s?

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #2,685 of 3,348
  I've had a pair of HD25-1-i phones for about 10 years, and recently, I got a second-hand pair of the ii model that seem to have been barely used.

This later pair has heaps more bottom end than my old pair - pretty much to the point that they are not useful to me.  Does anyone know if this is something that's changed in the way this heaphone is manufactured, or whether there could be some other reason for this difference between the two HD25s?

It's probably a combination of a looser clamping force and softer ear pads on the mk1.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back