Has anyone listened to Koss Pro DJ100?
Jun 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #31 of 50
I had an open shell for the DJ100 driver the whole time and didn't even realize it!
Last night I transplanted my DJ100 driver into a Sennheiser HD-497 shell. It's fully open and it also has the Maxell DHP-II memory foam pads attached!
Removing the DJ100 drivers was a pain. It took about 10-15 minutes to remove each driver. I had to heat up a flat screwdriver and try and remove all that glue holding the driver in place.

First thing I was worried about is that the soundstage would be too small or something in it's signature would go out the window. Maybe the bass or the mids? It didn't happen!

The thing I noticed first is that the soundstage is now huge. I wish I was kidding. Right now it feels like there's stuff going on all around my head and outside of my actual headphone.
I'm going to compare it with my HD-598, but this is just bizarre how the soundstage could be so huge with such tiny pads. I always figured the larger the pads maybe the larger the soundstage?
Now I think it's a combination of the driver, pads, how open it is and even the wire used!

If the DJ100 wasn't already unforgiving enough with crappy sound files, it's even worse. Some of my extremely bright and harsh recordings are now made much worse. I wonder why this is? It seems now that the DJ100 is a tad bit brighter, but not that much. So far it hasn't changed any of my well mastered files. Still sounds natural.

I'm a bit confused because it seems like the sound clarity shot way up. I wonder what affect being open can have on a driver to do this or if it's just my imagination?

There is this reference track I use often for my headphones and on the K702 there is a detail I like to look for and on headphones with a huge soundstage it's even harder to hear and very distant. On a headphone with a smaller soundstage it's easier to hear as long as the headphone isn't bass heavy. On the open DJ100 it sounds like it's more further away due to the size of the soundstage. On the closed DJ100's soundstage it's much closer. All this is really interesting. Vocals still sound very up-front, but now with the Belden cable and the open mod it's as if the soundstage is more accurate. I experienced this on the HD-598 when using the Belden wire on the HD-598 also. How on earth can a stupid wire give a larger and more accurate soundstage?!

With the belden wire there's a lot more detail no doubt about it. The negative is that it's a tad more fatiguing than stock cable and I think this wire is the reason it's now even more unforgiving of bad source files. Since it's open now I may experiment with more wire. I think I will try some more Canare wire since I love that stuff on my HD-598.

I'm definitely getting another DJ100 when they go back on sale. I'm going to now compare the HD-598 and the open DJ100 for gaming.

EDIT:

Just recabled the DJ100 again to see if there is any changes. Went from the Belden 1192A to the Canare and had a massive drop of detail. Tiny details that were heard on the Belden are now non existent on the Canare. What the heck? Well at least now they're less fatiguing. The mids on the DJ100 with the Canare as still as good. If you want tons of detail and a huge soundstage, use the Belden!

It's nice to know that just as I got ready to test my new cable I had forgotten it was wired for an AKG and I had to solder on a new plug because of junk Rean plug wouldn't screw open! Nice!

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #32 of 50
Today I've found out that the Koss UR-40 pads also fit the DJ100. The JVC RX300 pads also do. The thing about the Ur-40 pads is that they give you a little more room for your ears. I was not able to listen to the DJ100 with them though since it's guts are in another shell. The only negative is that you will need to put some speaker fabric or foam behind them since the pad is fully open. You can get speaker fabric at Parts Express. I bought some a month ago and it's lastet forever.

Still thrilled about my new DJ100 I put in my HD-497 shell to make it open. I also attached those UR-40 pads to it with some modding. For gaming these now kill the HD-598 for gaming. The only thing the HD-598 does for gaming is that it's soundstage is a little bigger. Sound is more clear on the DJ100. That is probably not the case when it was closed. Not sure.

Mids are still as forward as they ever were, but there is just a tad less bass due to being open. Strangely there is also more treble now. Very strange.

When the DJ100 is open, they very well could beat out my HD-598 for music too...and not just because of preferences. Koss would be dumb to not release an open headphone with the DJ100 driver.

I don't know how this is possible, but the soundstage feels just a little smaller than the HD-598. It's smaller than the AD700 and K702 obviously, but better than most other open headphones I've heard!

I've tried 3 cables on it now and mogami is the best. Belden does a lot to improve it, but I could write a book on why I switched to Mogami from that. Mogami seems to retain the DJ100 signature, but clears up the sound and adds a little more detail. The Belden is impressive wire, but only a good match for specific headphones. Mostly ones without forward mids.

Hoping to find other open headphones I can stuff the DJ100 driver in. I was hoping I could do that with the HD-555, but it's not possible I think, but maybe? The UR-40 does not WORK...this stinks. Too bad the HD-497 is out of production and there was no replacement. It's like a perfect match for the DJ100 driver.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #33 of 50
Does anyone want some memory foam pads for the DJ100?

Previously I tried the Shure SRH-240 pads on the DJ100 and  didn't like them much because they were much too hard and uncomfortable.

I figured it couldn't hurt, so I put them in my washing machine along with a bunch of towels on HOT. I then put them into the dryer with some Bounce Fabric Softener sheets. Guess what they turned into? Super soft memory foam pads!! These are now the most comfortable pads I've EVER used.

Have you tried the Maxell DHP-II or Bose Triport memory foam pads? They're just like those now!

For those that have the SRH-840, you should try this for your pads! The SRH-840 pads also fit the DJ100.

Still loving my NEW DJ100 "open" headphone (in HD-497 shell). Such an amazing mod and worth the trouble. This driver is just so impressive when given a lot of air. Who would have known...DJ100 is now quite impressive for even classical! Even more so than the HD-598. I'm not kidding. Some of the best bass I've heard in a long time. I'd say the improvements are huge.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #34 of 50
Nothing spectacular on better Koss drivers.

Take a TD/65, mod it, and you get a very precise and airy sounding closed phone. Driver quality is overall on pair with HD5x5.
If you take some Koss HV/pro, you get driver quality between HD 600 and DT880pro and a forward extended sextett-HD600 sound signature.
At last you don't  need to mod the HV and with the original pads you can enjoy a extended period of listening time.     

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #35 of 50

Quote:
Nothing spectacular on better Koss drivers.

Take a TD/65, mod it, and you get a very precise and airy sounding closed phone. Driver quality is overall on pair with HD5x5.
If you take some Koss HV/pro, you get driver quality between HD 600 and DT880pro and a forward extended sextett-HD600 sound signature.
At last you don't  need to mod the HV and with the original pads you can enjoy a extended period of listening time.     

I'm beginning to wonder if Koss drivers might present a better base for modding than the current Grado SR series.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #36 of 50
Are there any older Koss drivers that have the same forward mids and good bass of the DJ100? I wonder if the DJ100 driver is used in any of their older headphones. Maybe it's even better than many of them? Maybe it's an older driver they just put into a new headphone? It's hard to say.

Back when I was modding my Grado SR-80 I noticed the design of the driver is almost identical. Same material and same amount of holes surrounding it. It makes me wonder if they came from the same supplier (in Taiwan?) as the Grado drivers. I doubt it. At least now I know what a DJ100 sounds like when fully open! It has quite a bit of more treble than when closed (without further modding). I keep hoping to see if the DJ100 driver is in any other headphones but I don't think it is.

I've modded my SR-80 a lot and it doesn't even come close to what one can do with the DJ100 when it's modded to be open.

I just realized something...the SR-80 driver can ALSO be put inside the HD-497 shell! It's too bad Sennheiser didn't have a replacement of the HD-497 that's open.
I wonder if the DJ100 driver will fit inside any other Sennheiser headphones? I don't think it will fit inside the HD-555 shell, but maybe? If it did, I'd buy one in a second. The HD-497 is just plain goofy looking.
Hey maybe the DJ100 driver will fit inside my HD-598? OK, I don't think I'd go THAT far, but I'd have zero problems buying an HD-555 again if it did fit. Actually I kind of like how portable the HD-497 shell is...and the new SRH-240 pads.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #39 of 50

Pro4AAT I tried about a year back, but didn't give it a fair chance. Out of the box it was very muffled sounding. I think this MUST go away with burn in! Sadly my amp wasn't powerful enough at the time and I had to use a receiver. I want to give the Pro4AAT another chance. From what I've read, it's extremely hard to drive properly and needs a good amp.

The MV1 was a fairly big disappointment for me. The mids are even more forward than that of the DJ100, but it's sound is less clear and kind of muffled. Not as much as the Pro4AAT.
Vocals were very good on the MV1 though and that thing had lots of detail. In the end I prefer the DJ100.

There's also the Pro4AAAT that LOOKS open. Not sure if it is, but on the Koss website it seems to be closed.

I think it's safe to say that many of the more expensive Koss headphones probably need tons of burn-in. Especially the Pro4AAT.
I once read a review of the K701 vs the Pro4AAT and the Pro4AAT held up very well, which is a surprise.

Quote:
Has anyone compared the DJ100 to PRO4AAT or the MV1?

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #41 of 50

Quote:

I think there's some guy raving about them in the SRH-940 thread, you can check there.

haha, don't be a jerk.
You should already know by now I'm the DJ100 fanboy around here
normal_smile%20.gif

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #42 of 50

Quote:
Has anyone compared the DJ100 to PRO4AAT or the MV1?

I know I'm late to the party, but I have both the DJ100 and the MV1. I actually prefer the DJ100 to the MV1. I think the MV1 has more detail, and the bass is about even, but there is something about the DJ100 I just prefer. Now granted, I didn't really level match them, but I just can't stop using the DJ100. That is with the stock pads too. Maybe I'll try level matching them, and giving them a listen again. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #43 of 50

Quote:
I know I'm late to the party, but I have both the DJ100 and the MV1. I actually prefer the DJ100 to the MV1. I think the MV1 has more detail, and the bass is about even, but there is something about the DJ100 I just prefer. Now granted, I didn't really level match them, but I just can't stop using the DJ100. That is with the stock pads too. Maybe I'll try level matching them, and giving them a listen again. 

Nice. tdockweiler seems to really enjoy his DJ100's as well, even more than the Shure SRH940's. I might give them a try someday once I obtain a decent amp.

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #44 of 50

Quote:
Nice. tdockweiler seems to really enjoy his DJ100's as well, even more than the Shure SRH940's. I might give them a try someday once I obtain a decent amp.

I've never heard the Shure's, but I do love the DJ100. I would ALWAYS recommend it over the MV1 for sure. I don't think you lose that much detail, and the weight alone is worth recommending the DJ100. I'd bet the MV1 is twice as heavy. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #45 of 50

Quote:

SRH-940 is a nice headphone and it'd be a purchase from me if it was cheaper. The sticker price really hurts. I'm probably just cheap. I keep saying I'd buy one if I ever saw one on sale for $175.
SRH-940 does a few things better than the DJ100 for sure, but I still love the DJ100. I was actually surprised at how well the DJ100 held up against the SRH-940. The DJ100 just doesn't have the treble of the SRH-940, but that's obvious.

What's interesting is that before the DJ100, my favorite was the SRH-840 (I like it a bit less now than I did back then). Due to comfort I took a sidegrade and got the M50. Once I heard the DJ100 I switched to that due to preferring a little less bass, but still being fun.

I bet many people who like the SRH-840 might like the DJ100. SRH-840 is MUCH warmer from what I remember though. Definitely more mid-bass and a smaller soundstage.

BTW I must be one of the few people who didn't find the SRH-940 cold and analytical. It's quite musical and slightly warm with very textured and full sounding mids. Could be a combination of my amps/DAC or something else. Reminded me of some things about the HD-600. Is that weird or what? Not really it's signature.

SRH-940 is definitely a nice headphone for female vocals. Might be up there with the K400, HD-598, SA3000, DJ100 and a few others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back