Has anyone listened to Koss Pro DJ100?
Mar 27, 2011 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

miceblue

Headphoneus Supremus
How do these headphones sound compared to more expensive headphones (within the <$250 USD range, closed, and are foldable/able to lie flat)?

I've read many posts by tdockweiler and I just wanted to see what other people think of them when compared to other 'phones.

The general consensus seems to be that a powerful amp is required to drive these headphones...which may not be in my best interest since I don't have the money to purchase an amp more than $50 (I've already spent ~$30 USD for a DIY CMoy amp for some electronics/soldering/wiring experience) and I've read that the FiiO E5 isn't powerful enough for adequate sound.

Thanks for any impressions you may have!

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 50
Too bad this post didn't get any replies by other than the resident DJ100 fanboy. I wish more people would try these out. They're that good and I still haven't found anything I like more under $200 that's closed. The KRK KNS-8400 is one that has come close, but it's sound signature is totally different. The DJ100 has many similarities to the HD-650 and maybe even the Sextett. Sextett sounds much worse though and less clear to me. Comparing the HD-650 and the DJ100 side by side is quite amusing. Dj100 even does a few things better somehow. I won't mentioned anything else about the headphone since I've already done that in other threads.

I originally thought the E5 was absolutely terrible with the DJ100, but now I've tested it further and it's not that bad. The main reason I thought this is that on some poorly mastered music in can make them almost harsh sounding and brighter than they already are. I don't know why or how. I often use my E5 + the DJ100 and the MDR-V6 pads while weight training and it's a good combination. I've heard the Pa2V2 is a great match for them and it's quite small. I also love my Airhead with them, but it's quite bulky. Believe it or not the E5 is better for it than the more expensive nuforce Mobile. It even drives them to a much greater volume. I'm not a huge fan of the E5, but it's the bare minimum for the Koss DJ 100. Just as a note, it would only be the bare minimum IF a larger mp3 player was used. Something like the Zune HD or Ipod Touch. I use the Ipod Touch. My DJ100 can be driven by my Ipod Touch, but the sound isn't that good and rather lifeless. I don't think a tiny mp3 player like the Fuze and an E5 would work out well.

So if you didn't see my other posts, I prefer these to my old favorites the SRH-840, M50, K240 Studio and several others. Of course it all depends on what sound signature you like. I loved the slightly forward mids of the DJ100.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 50
     I have a pair as my main headphones.  I do use them strictly on a Onkyo amp and don't drive them with a mp3 player ,I have some koss ktxpr's o for that duty which also sounds pretty darn decent for $20.  These sound great and are more than worth the $80 price.  Great bass  and very clear high end . Best headphones I have owned , much better than my koss pro4AA's .   You hear things in the music that you have never heard before and it makes listening  for instruments interesting  .  Love music on these that have heavy drums in the recording , exceptional as you  listen to them run thru your head.   I do run these thru a 10 band equalizer too but they are still great headphones. The lifetime no questions asked warranty is an added plus also .  2 big thumbs up from me . 

Mar 27, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 50
I have one as my best closed cans. They're really good in the ~$150 price range IMO, however they need an amp or a mid to high end dedicated sound card. I bought mines for $50 shipped and they're worth every penny, seriously. One of the reasons why I bought them is because of tdockweiler, thanks. 
smile.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 50
If someone lends me a pair or drives me to Best Buy once or twice (maybe to return) I can do a mini-review compared to everything I've heard :D

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 50

Haha, I would, but I was already without mine for about 3 weeks when ljokerl reviewed my pair and that was bad enough. Luckily I had the K240 Studio to keep me happy. BTW I even found out today that my Beyer DT-880 Velour and leather pads work on the K240! The Beyer leather (fake) pads outer part is flat, so they offer a better seal. I must be the only person in the world who prefer the studio to the Sextett LP! I think the K240 is one headphone I'll never get rid of. Seems to be one of the rare headphones that good (but not great) for every genre.

Luckily I live just 6 minutes from a Best Buy. It's a bad store for my wallet. I had to drive nearly 2 hours to get my pair last summer though because only one location carried them. I didn't mind and who would have thought it'd be worth it?!

I asked Koss and they actually will supply anyone with them. They're sold at Radioshack, Wal-Mart (in Milwaukee only maybe) and Borders (?!) also. I never knew that! I thought maybe they were only sold by just Best Buy and JR only.

I've found that you can add blu-tack to the cups to improve the bass, but it's risky and it makes the mids too forward (somehow, about as forward as an ATH-AD2000) so I may reverse it and try that Akasa foam. I may buy another pair when I have extra money to spend when they're on sale and try to recable them. It will be tricky because of the volume control and how confusing the internal wires are.

The driver is the same exact size as the Grado SR-80 driver. Same amount of holes surrounding it. I wonder what an SR-80 driver would sound like in the DJ100 shell! It actually fits as long as you can remove the glue. I've got my SR-80 attached to my old DJ100 headband. It's so comfortable now. I think the SR-80 and DJ100 drivers must come from the same manufacturer since they look so similar. I doubt Koss or Grado make all their own drivers for EVERY model.

Wonder what an open headphone with the DJ100 driver would sound like. I don't even know if it's possible! If it caused the bass to get reduced, I bet it'd be an amazing gaming headphone.

Quote:
If someone lends me a pair or drives me to Best Buy once or twice (maybe to return) I can do a mini-review compared to everything I've heard :D

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:
I originally th I often use my E5 + the DJ100 and the MDR-V6 pads...

I've got Koss Pro DJ100. I find the original pads a little uncomfortable. How does it sound with V6 pads? Have you tried it with DT250 pads?

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 50
Best $50 phone I've heard.  Though it's my second pair.  Returned the first pair because it sounded awful.  Better overall timbre than the HFI580 but less detailed lowend.  Better neutrality than the M50 but less body and euphony w/ acoustic woods.  The DJ100 is more in line w/ the HD558.  The Senn is comfier but open and pricier.  It does most technical things more effortlessly but the DJ100 has more bass impact and punch.  The DJ100 is more on the slightly fun side of neutral and the 558 the enjoyable side of neutral.  My 2 cents.

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 50

Quote:
Quote:
I originally th I often use my E5 + the DJ100 and the MDR-V6 pads...

I've got Koss Pro DJ100. I find the original pads a little uncomfortable. How does it sound with V6 pads? Have you tried it with DT250 pads?

Sounds fine with the V6 pads. Make sure to get the official Sony pads though. I'm not sure if the Pearstone pleather pads make them sound any different.
I had the Pearstone Velour pads for awhile and they fit the DJ100, but they made my ears hot and uncomfortable. They're not as good as the Beyer Velour which is softer and less scratchy.

The M30 pads also work, but they MDR-V6 pads give you a little more room and better sound I think. For some, the MDR-V6 pads on the V6 are kind of supra-aural, but on the DJ100 they fully cover the ear.
I got mine from Amazon for $16 for two I think. Totally worth it. Be careful because some people on Amazon charge $10-$13 and you only get one! B&H also sells them.

Right now I can wear my DJ100 for hours and they're still comfortable. Wish I could say the same about my DT-880. I must be the only one in the world who doesn't find them comfortable. I guess my ears are too big or something.
I'm using my Beyer velour pads on the AKG K240. I feel spoiled now..when they're on the K240 they don't touch my ears much.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #12 of 50

Quote:

Sounds fine with the V6 pads. Make sure to get the official Sony pads though. I'm not sure if the Pearstone pleather pads make them sound any different.
I had the Pearstone Velour pads for awhile and they fit the DJ100, but they made my ears hot and uncomfortable. They're not as good as the Beyer Velour which is softer and less scratchy.

The M30 pads also work, but they MDR-V6 pads give you a little more room and better sound I think. For some, the MDR-V6 pads on the V6 are kind of supra-aural, but on the DJ100 they fully cover the ear.
I got mine from Amazon for $16 for two I think. Totally worth it. Be careful because some people on Amazon charge $10-$13 and you only get one! B&H also sells them.

Right now I can wear my DJ100 for hours and they're still comfortable. Wish I could say the same about my DT-880. I must be the only one in the world who doesn't find them comfortable. I guess my ears are too big or something.
I'm using my Beyer velour pads on the AKG K240. I feel spoiled now..when they're on the K240 they don't touch my ears much.

Wait... how can you be bothered by the DT880 comfort but not the K240 comfort? IIRC the cup is much shallower on the K240 than it is on the DT880. I had some ear-touching issues with the DT880 as well, but it was nowhere near as bad as the K240 for me.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 50

I think it's not because of how shallow they are, but just that the DT-880's earpads are not as wide. Nearly the same size though. The AKG K240 pads are a bit larger and give me more room. I actually find the K240 Studio to be one of the most comfortable headphones I've owned that's under $150. The zero clamping force is nice, but I don't know if that'd be so great for the sound, but I have no problem with it. I think I'm going to try and stretch out the DT-880 pads a bit and hope they fit better. It's not painful, just annoying. I had an old DT-990 for 2 years a long time ago and I don't remember them bothering me. BTW I also wear glasses. I actually have a small head (I guess) and I still have to expand the sides of the Beyer to a 5/6 on the dots just for them to be wearable. Yet when I wore the AD700 out of the box it'd fall off my head if I moved it too much!

I actually disliked the comfort of the DT-880 so much I bought some of the pleather pads. Not sure if they'll be better since I have bad allergies now and everything sounds like it's coming from a cave on any headphone.

I still think the K601 and K702 were the most comfortable headphones there is. One step above the HD-600/HD-650 only due to less clamp. I got the HD-600 in the mail today and it's nice not having the vice clamping force of the HD-650. HD-598 might have those beat though. Not sure..
Quote:
Wait... how can you be bothered by the DT880 comfort but not the K240 comfort? IIRC the cup is much shallower on the K240 than it is on the DT880. I had some ear-touching issues with the DT880 as well, but it was nowhere near as bad as the K240 for me.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #14 of 50
I really want to nab a pair of these on sale somewhere, if anyone sees them at $50, let me know. Also...what are the pad options on them? I'd really like to see some pictures of the different pad options.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Thanks. I've got spare original V6 pads after putting DT250 velour pads on the V6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back