[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Sep 10, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #1,577 of 1,845
Hey,

No problem man, is there anything else you wanted to know?

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,578 of 1,845
If I can get a DT 990 Professional 250 OHM plus an amp for the same price of a lone DT 990 Premium 32 OHM, which should I buy? I understand there's a slight difference in sound quality and soundstage, so I just want to be sure I'd get the best experience for the money before I make my purchase. I'm looking to use the headphones mostly for music (at the computer and from my iPhone) and gaming.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #1,579 of 1,845
  If I can get a DT 990 Professional 250 OHM plus an amp for the same price of a lone DT 990 Premium 32 OHM, which should I buy? I understand there's a slight difference in sound quality and soundstage, so I just want to be sure I'd get the best experience for the money before I make my purchase. I'm looking to use the headphones mostly for music (at the computer and from my iPhone) and gaming.

go with the Dt 990 pro and the Amp, 

also do you already have a Dac for your pc? If not a Dac/Amp like the E17 might be worth while, or something more powerful like the ole E9/E7 Combo

oh lord NOSTALGIA, I remember wanting SO bad to get that old Fiio Desktop Combo!... now I have a giant NFB 10ES2 sitting beside me,

but if you don't have a DAC or a nice Sound Card on ur pc, go for a Dac Amp combo unit, and the Pro 250s, 

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,581 of 1,845
After watching all your videos, I finally got the DT770 Premium 250 Ohm. Its funny, because after listening to the MDR-1R's for 2 months now, I was getting annoyed by the fact that there was barely any upper mids. Maybe there was, but the quality was poor. Plus, the treble lacked so much detail and the bass was too mid-bass centric.

After I demoed the DT770's in the store, I was amazed. The upper mids were there, treble was nice and shimmery and there was no annoying mid-bass hump. The transient response and resolution was very impressive as well. I have no regrets buying them.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #1,582 of 1,845
I am wondering if there is anywhere in Washington, D.C. Where I can demo the dt 990? Also dare I ask if anyone in DC has the HPs if it would be possible to demo them?

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,583 of 1,845
  Hey guys,

I got my 600Ohm DT990/DT880 drivers in and popped them into the DT990 Pro housing.

Well I gotta say the DT880 sounds different in a fully open shell. The sound is smoother and it seems they became more focussed and the soundstage widened up. There is a lot more air in the sound as well. Though they did get slightly brighter. Not bad though. Oh and the bass did tighten up and seemed to have gained some impact, but not much. There was a change but it was not massive. Is it worth the $120 investment on drivers though? I say no but it's up to you.

The DT990 is in a similar situation, but better. The bass is tighter and faster with more impact, the treble is smoother and more refined, the soundstage is about the same but has more air, and the mids are more forward. Really it's like the DT990 PRO sound but has all the finesse and refinement of the 600Ohm models. So it's indeed improved. Is it worth it though? Nah I say. Sure it sounds better than the normal 600Ohm DT990 but you have to spend more money to get there.

Interesting switch, i hate the regular housing and i like the Pro housing more...

Do you think adding an impedance adapter to match the 600 ohms of the regular DT990 on the DT990 Pro would get similar results, or are the drivers that differently tunned? I'd like to do the switch someday, but for now, i have different headphones in my horizon.

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,584 of 1,845
Hello knowledgeable head-fi'ers

I would appreciate some advice.

I would like to upgrade my sound system, and already purchased a xonar d2x sound card as a dac. I'm also looking into the little dot mk ii headphone amp.

I've somewhat narrowed down my headphone choice to the beyerdynamic dt series, but am unsure which one to go with. I'm somewhat looking for a closed headphone, as I'd like to filter out what's going on around me, so the dt 770s are the pick for that one, but I'm not sure. Also about the impedance... I read all the descriptions, and it sounds like the 770 pro 80 ohm are quite good, and I can get them for a good price too, but I was wondering if I would be able to drive this model without an amp, on my zune hd for example.

So my questions really are: is there a significant reason to choose the 880 or the 990 over the 770, and how much sound spillage and entry is there?

As well as what impedance is recommendable for my purposes. This will be my first rig, and I'm not sure if I'm getting the little dot amp yet, if the price is okay, I will but not guarantee.

Thank you all for your feedback and experience.
Dave

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #1,585 of 1,845
In my opinion the DT880 sounds better than the 770 and 990. If you need isolation though, the 770 is the easy easy choice.

None of the Beyers are particularly easy to drive off a portable device. For running off a zune, I'd actually recommend trying to find one of the limited edition DT770's. It'll cost a bit more, but they are more efficient and will sound better from a zune.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #1,586 of 1,845
I would like to upgrade my sound system, and already purchased a Xonar D2X sound card as a DAC. I'm also looking into the little dot mk ii headphone amp.

I've somewhat narrowed down my headphone choice to the Beyerdynamic DT series, but am unsure which one to go with. I'm somewhat looking for a closed headphone, as I'd like to filter out what's going on around me, so the dt 770s are the pick for that one, but I'm not sure. Also about the impedance... I read all the descriptions, and it sounds like the 770 Pro 80-Ohm are quite good, and I can get them for a good price too, but I was wondering if I would be able to drive this model without an amp, on my Zune hd for example.

So my questions really are: is there a significant reason to choose the 880 or the 990 over the 770, and how much sound spillage and entry is there?

Is this audio setup for just sitting around your place? or do you plan on being on the move with the Zune?

I own the DT770/DT880/DT990
I think the DT880s are the best, the DT990s are second and the DT770s I really do not use anymore.
If you want closed headphones, get the (40-Ohm) Audio Technica ATH-A900X headphones.
The Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99, would be a better choice for low impedance headphones.
and as the ATH-A900Xs are only 40-ohm, should be easy for the Zune to drive.
But I do not think the A900Xs are good "portable" headphones, for outside the residence.

If you want portable headphones, get the ($35) JVC HA-S400 folding on-ear headphones.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #1,587 of 1,845
Thanks for your response.

I've been considering the portability factor more, driving 600 ohm models portable will be the problem, I really don't have a problem with them being large and all that, I'm the kind of person that carries a full dslr with 3 lenses around with me too :p. What's the lowest-end portable amp able to power the dt series 600 ohm cans properly? (ibasso d4 is available to me used from a local shop, as well as a fiio f10)

Thanks again,
Dave

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,588 of 1,845
I'd go with the D4. The e10 needs a laptop or compatible android device, and that will kill your battery life.

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,589 of 1,845
Thanks for the info. I currently own the DT770s 250ohm and have been wanting to get the 880s.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #1,590 of 1,845
Thanks for your response.

I've been considering the portability factor more, driving 600 ohm models portable will be the problem, I really don't have a problem with them being large and all that, I'm the kind of person that carries a full dslr with 3 lenses around with me too :p. What's the lowest-end portable amp able to power the dt series 600 ohm cans properly? (ibasso d4 is available to me used from a local shop, as well as a fiio f10)

Thanks again,
Dave

Why get the 600 ohm version for portable use? Its no better than the 32 or 250 ohm versions and you'll have a much harder time reaching the volume levels you need. I recommend the 250 ohm version if you plan on also using them with a desktop amp at some point, or the 32 ohm version (or the 80 ohm version in the case of the 770s) if they will be used exclusively as portables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back