[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Aug 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,546 of 1,845
Quote:
the pro version has much smaller soundstage due to shallow cups also the bass is muffling the overall presentation. The premiums when the velour cushions wear out start sounding closer to new pros. To me upgrading is worth it for the sake of crispier sound.  

also the DT990 Pros abraded the edges of my ears after 2hr or so of listening, premiums cause less pressure on ears as they are deeper.

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #1,548 of 1,845
Quote:
Wow~!!Gread job! Very detial and very convincing!!
GOOOD!

In english?

I suppose the jump could be worth it... still though it's .not worth it to me, these just have to much bass to be worth their price 

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #1,549 of 1,845
Quote:
Quote:
the pro version has much smaller soundstage due to shallow cups also the bass is muffling the overall presentation. The premiums when the velour cushions wear out start sounding closer to new pros. To me upgrading is worth it for the sake of crispier sound.  

also the DT990 Pros abraded the edges of my ears after 2hr or so of listening, premiums cause less pressure on ears as they are deeper.

They're not deeper. The only difference is clamping force.

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #1,550 of 1,845
Hey guys,

They cups are a tad deeper internally, but not a whole bunch. And the sound differences are caused by the clamping. All DT990 models share the same driver assembly, but the wire used varies in size to increase the Ohm rating. So they all sound similar. The Pro models offer higher clamping force and results in a more "compressed" soundstage. While not bad, it's smaller. The sound is also thicker with more meat on the bones. I personally like this change. The Premium DT990 can sound thin and super airy, so this is a welcomed change.

Also I think the Pro model is more open than the Premium model. I've worked on a ton of DT990's and all the Premium models have felt glued into the inner cup. When pulled off, they have the exact same back (still one small hole in the middle). The only thing different with the DT990 Premium housing is that it has more venting on the inside rim of the cup. For those of you who don't know, the DT880 and DT990 have small rectangular vents around the inside of the cup below the grill. The DT990's are just a bit more open, IE, bigger vents.

Now the Pro model is different. It is fully open. The entire back of the cup is open, allowing a lot more airflow, which intern increases the soundstage. I think this might have to do with how much smoother they sound than the 600Ohm versions of the Premium models. The imaging should also improve, it may even explain the bass. I ahve not experimented much with the Pro models though. I have yet to swap 600Ohm drivers into the Pro housing, but that might be the next step.

What do you guys think? I am willing to buy 600Ohm drivers to toss into the housing.

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #1,551 of 1,845
Thanks Zombie_X. I assumed the cups were slightly deeper based on pictures but the original post was about his ears touching on the Pro but not on the Premium. I was pointing out that that was only because of clamping force since the deeper cups on the Premium do not effect how deep the actual ear pads are.

I would love to hear your impressions of the DT990 600 ohm drivers in the Pro housing. I know Beyer has sold 600 ohm DT880 Pros at Jaben in Taiwan. I wonder if there have ever been any 600 ohm DT990 Pros out there...

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #1,552 of 1,845
Quote:
Thanks Zombie_X. I assumed the cups were slightly deeper based on pictures but the original post was about his ears touching on the Pro but not on the Premium. I was pointing out that that was only because of clamping force since the deeper cups on the Premium do not effect how deep the actual ear pads are.

I would love to hear your impressions of the DT990 600 ohm drivers in the Pro housing. I know Beyer has sold 600 ohm DT880 Pros at Jaben in Taiwan. I wonder if there have ever been any 600 ohm DT990 Pros out there...

+1

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #1,553 of 1,845
Hey,

Well then you know what I'll be doing sometime down the road. I'll pick up some drivers from beyer sometime, but money is tight now. I'll be sure to keep everyone informed.

Now then the 600Ohm DT880 Pro is something to be heard. It has all the fidelity of the 600Ohm driver but now has added warmth, smoothness, and weight from the extra clamping force. You do lose some air and the imaging suffers slightly, but it's a justifiable tradeoff. These are like the definitive version of the DT880.

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #1,554 of 1,845
Sorry for the typos~
I owned a 2007 ver dt990 before and its bass was really strong, full of energy. Well, somebody may not like it but others do. 

The 880 is more neutral than 990, but also lack of passion.

Of course, all above are personal opinion.

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #1,555 of 1,845
Quote:
All DT990 models share the same driver assembly, but the wire used varies in size to increase the Ohm rating. 

You mean the voice coil wire right?

Quote:
What do you guys think? I am willing to buy 600Ohm drivers to toss into the housing.

I say buy their tesla drivers instead... 

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #1,556 of 1,845
Hi,

Yes I meant the voice coil. I'd have to see if the Tesla drivers are available and also how much they would cost.

Quote:

You mean the voice coil wire right?

I say buy their tesla drivers instead... 

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #1,558 of 1,845
Hi,

That's too much for just a driver, so I think it's a pass.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #1,559 of 1,845
Yeah, but pop 'em into a DT880/990 shell and you've got most of a T1 for less than half the price.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #1,560 of 1,845
Quote:
Yeah, but pop 'em into a DT880/990 shell and you've got most of a T1 for less than half the price.

I would totally try to do this if someone report its  a success. My concern is tesla drivers might be designed for angled housing of the cups so they may not sound as well on the DT models.

I have a dt990 and would love to hear T1 sound this way without shelling full price :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back