[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Dec 14, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #601 of 1,845
I couldn't possibly ask for a friend to aid me on my indulgent expenses, lol. Thanks for being so kind, Zombie. It was enough to hear that you'd help. You're a solid guy.

I guess I wasn't feeling too good yesterday because even the bass in the KSC35 was bothering me, somethingthat never happened before. I will put the DT990 Pro through a lot more testing daily before I make a final decision on returning them. I think if I return them, I'll be without a full size for awhile, since I feel guilty in returning so many cans on Amazon, lol.

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #602 of 1,845
Copypasta from my gaming thread:

Okay, so I still feel the bass is too heavy. I'm wishing I'd have gone back to the Premium DT990/600's bass which was for all intent and purposes was....perfect. The DT990/600 had in my opinion, better bass than the D7000. Better bass in terms of the fact that not only is it big and fills out the room, but it's quicker and better textured. The DT990 Pro is noticeably slower and boomy, and more prominent. The D7000's bass is addictive and fills out a 'room' more than the DT990/600, but never got boomy like the DT990 Pro, so it was a middle ground between the two Beyers.

My problem (comfort aside), is that the Premium DT990/600 has that peaky treble, whereas the DT990 Pro is toned down enough in that area that it NEVER bothers me. I never thought bass would be what bothered me in the DT990.

I think my ideal dream solution would actually be the DT990/600 + Schiit Lyr combo. The Lyr rolls of the treble just very slightly compared to the E9, but with the two sets of tubes I had, the E9 still had more forward mids. I dunno.

Edit: Just placed an order for the Premium DT990/600 with 1-day shipping. I'll be getting these tomorrow to compare directly with the DT990 Pros. Had to do it for my own sanity. Looks like the DT990 Pros are going back after the comparison.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #603 of 1,845
Hey,

I'm going to be picking up headphones on boxing day (or at least ordering them) and I think I've finally found what I'm looking for.  I'm interested in the DT 880, DT 990, or the DT 990 PRO (all 250 ohm).  The 880s might keep out a bit more ambiant sounds, the 990s are great, and the 990 PRO cost much less but also have a large clamping force.  I'm going to be using these headphones for both gaming and media where I'll be wearing glasses.  Does the clamping force be uncomfortable after a couple hours of listening/gaming?

Also, which ohm version should I get?  I keep hearing all these mixed opinions.  Some say there is no difference between the 250 and 600, others say there is?  I'm going to be running them through a v-520k receiver.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #604 of 1,845
The clamping force on the Pros is largely blown out of proportion. They CLAMP, unlike Premium Beyers, which sort of just sit there. To me, the slight clamp is more comfy than the looser fit of the Premiums. ALso, the headband on the Pros is better than the Premiums to me.

However, soundwise:

Premium DT990 >>>>>>>>> DT990 Pro.

I thought they'd sound the largely the same, but the DT990 Pro sounds more like the DT770 Pro 80 to me. Boomy, slow bass (and it's not an open bass sound, more like a closed can's bass with long decay). Not at all like the Premium DT990/600 which has a noticeably quicker, articulated bass, that gets nowhere near as boomy as the DT990 Pro.

The only plus the Pros have over the Premiums is that the treble is mellower, due in part to the boomier bass.

This is from a direct comparison I've done TODAY. I'm so glad to have the DT990/600 again.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #605 of 1,845

Quote:
The clamping force on the Pros is largely blown out of proportion. They CLAMP, unlike Premium Beyers, which sort of just sit there. To me, the slight clamp is more comfy than the looser fit of the Premiums. ALso, the headband on the Pros is better than the Premiums to me.
However, soundwise:
Premium DT990 >>>>>>>>> DT990 Pro.
I thought they'd sound the largely the same, but the DT990 Pro sounds more like the DT770 Pro 80 to me. Boomy, slow bass (and it's not an open bass sound, more like a closed can's bass with long decay). Not at all like the Premium DT990/600 which has a noticeably quicker, articulated bass, that gets nowhere near as boomy as the DT990 Pro.
The only plus the Pros have over the Premiums is that the treble is mellower, due in part to the boomier bass.
This is from a direct comparison I've done TODAY. I'm so glad to have the DT990/600 again.

I never had much clamping force on the DT-990 Pro also. I remember always liking the DT-990 Premium I had years ago, but not the Pro version. I believe it was the 250 ohm version since it didn't have the blue ring that some 32 ohm versions had. I think they removed the blue ring though.

I also had the DT-770 Pro 80 and DT-990 Pro at the same time. I preferred the 770 Pro somehow, but not over my bass light DT-770 600 ohm. My 600 ohm DT-770 actually seemed to have less bass than my Q701?! It was especially noticeable in gaming. It had the two vents also. I scored the DT-770 600 for $117 and actually sold it due how uncomfortable it was
eek.gif

Seems Beyer headphones are incompatible with my head. I wish they all had the deeper cups of the 770 Pro 80. DT-880 is actually more uncomfortable than any Grado. I know this makes no sense!

Yet I could wear the 770 pro all day without issues.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #606 of 1,845
I don't have an issue with the cup depth. My issues is that the pads rest on my jaw and cause some discomfort. Also, I have a long head, so I have to fully extend Beyers to reach optimal ear position. (I'm a big dude, 6'2")

I recently switched the E9 to low gain.... and OMG, what an improvement over high gain. The DT990 is a very detailed headphone, and I can clearly hear that high gain sounds compressed and unarticulate compared to low gain. It's so good now, I may not even upgrade. :D
The only thing high gain has is a more dynamic sound, but just ever so slightly. It works better on less detailed cans. The DT990 is highly resolving, so high gain actually hurts it.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #607 of 1,845
I've been researching these a lot so this thread has been a real boon.  I finally have a few bucks set aside  and am pretty convinced on the dt880 600ohm's.  My current set-up is Grado HF-1's (or Senn. HD 25 1 -ii's depending on mood/music) run thru WooAudio 6SE amp.  I love the sound of both, Any one else listen to HF-1's thru tubes and also love their 880's?  Is the listening experience/ sound sig. difference worth it?  Mostly, I'm happy with my current headphone set-up but want a lil' different flavor...

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #608 of 1,845
I agree with so much of the OPs comments about the DT990. Pretty sure I will end up returning them. But I love my Q701s. Maybe its time to look at the $1000+ range for a suitable upgrade.

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #609 of 1,845
Yo,

Contact beyer and they can send you the Pro headband assembly. That way you can use the 600Ohm drivers with the Pro headband. I tell ya the DT990/600Ohm with the Pro assembly is just nice! You get more bass, smoother highs, and a tad more midrange. This is a good upgrade for the 600Ohm beyers.

I also like the slight clamp that the Pro's have. I like them more than how the premiums feel.

Quote:
The clamping force on the Pros is largely blown out of proportion. They CLAMP, unlike Premium Beyers, which sort of just sit there. To me, the slight clamp is more comfy than the looser fit of the Premiums. ALso, the headband on the Pros is better than the Premiums to me

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #610 of 1,845
I may end up doing that in the future.

ZenErik, sorry to hear that the DT990 isn't to your liking. It is a love it or hate it headphone.

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #612 of 1,845

Quote:
I may end up doing that in the future.
ZenErik, sorry to hear that the DT990 isn't to your liking. It is a love it or hate it headphone.

Well, I don't love it or hate it. :p They just make the guitar on a lot of recordings sound very thin and certain cymbals stick waaay out in the mix. Along with "s" and "t" sounds. Sibilance, as they say. I just put them in my "good, but not for me" pile.

This guide DOES have me very interested in the T1 now. If I save up a bit I should be able to buy a pair not long after the holidays. :)

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #613 of 1,845
The T1 sounds like the ultimate headphone for me, and what I strive to get at some point. However, waaaaay out of my price range. XD

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #614 of 1,845

Quote:
Yo,

Contact beyer and they can send you the Pro headband assembly. That way you can use the 600Ohm drivers with the Pro headband. I tell ya the DT990/600Ohm with the Pro assembly is just nice! You get more bass, smoother highs, and a tad more midrange. This is a good upgrade for the 600Ohm beyers.

I also like the slight clamp that the Pro's have. I like them more than how the premiums feel.

On that note, I ended up bending my (bass light version I think) DT770/600 in toward my head to increase clamping, which increased bass and seal. They are pretty much as tight as I can make them and sound wonderful (with pleather pads and dynamat lined cups). They are not as comfortable as the D7000 of course but not much are.
I want to let all know how good these sound with my Audio-gd NFB10SE Dac/Amp. Basically a poor-boys D7000 IMO.

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #615 of 1,845
Thanks for the input guys.

Just one more question.  Would a Pioneer V-520k be enough to power the 600 ohm version?  Even if they can't, would the sound quality remain but just not how loud they'll go?  I don't really see myself exceeding 50-70 db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back