[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Nov 12, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #571 of 1,845

Quote:
Hadn't even heard of them!  Thanks for the info - will have to check them out - I'm really not a fan of BBR, and Planet of Sound doesn't carry anything but Grado/Beyer.  Do they have a decent listening area?

(And to answer your question - obviously, no 
biggrin.gif
)

The Headfone Shop has a decent but small listening area, they carry Senns and a few other brands, definitely worth checking out, they also do on line sales.

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #572 of 1,845

Quote:
IMO the DT-880/770 would be way too similar to the K702/Q701. The HD-600 (or even D2000) and the Q701 is a nice pair to have
biggrin.gif

Whenever I had the K702 though, it always made me hate the HD-600, but I learned to like it. Took awhile.

I actually had the DT-990 250 ohm and K701 for 3-4 years once. What's funny is that I recently tried the DT-990 Pro and didn't like it much. Very strange.

Thanks for the guidance, I appreciate the help.

I found a store (Target Hi Fi in London Ontario) with Senn HD650s, I can't wear them for more than 20 minutes, too much clamping force.
I also can't get past the rolled off highs.     But the built quality is first rate.
They also had some Grados, I think I'm liking the SR-325i, I even prefer them over the RS2.   I actually found them more comfortable than Senns.
I'll have to track down some D2000.

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #573 of 1,845
It can't be true!!!!

BBR carries the Denons for demo, but their headphone area is always so noisy.

Quote:

Thanks for the guidance, I appreciate the help.

I found a store (Target Hi Fi in London Ontario) with Senn HD650s, I can't wear them for more than 20 minutes, too much clamping force.
I also can't get past the rolled off highs.     But the built quality is first rate.
They also had some Grados, I think I'm liking the SR-325i, I even prefer them over the RS2.   I actually found them more comfortable than Senns.
I'll have to track down some D2000.

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #574 of 1,845

Quote:
It can't be true!!!!

BBR carries the Denons for demo, but their headphone area is always so noisy.

Just my opinion........I can't take the HD650 s for more than a few minutes, but the Grados don't bug me too much, what can I say?
Maybe I have a weird shaped head?
Neither are as comfortable as AKG Q701 or Beyer DT880......YMMV.......like I said, just my opinion.
Can't take the mellow Senn sound either.........just my opinion

Nov 19, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #575 of 1,845
I have a large head and I own the DT990 Pro's and the AKG Q701s. I used to own the DT880 Pros. The 880s and 990s are totally fine comfort-wise but the Q701s are in a league of their own. Like you said, YMMV, but for big-headed blokes like me the Q701s feel like they're just floating up there. Every once in a while I mix music on a deadline and end up wearing the 701s at my desk for 24+ hours (practically) straight, and they just don't become irritable at all.

If there's another pair of phones out there that can compete with the 701s comfort-wise during extreme hours like this, someone please tell me. Comfort is one thing, but fatigue from the frequency response is very real on the 701s... at least for me.

Quote:
Just my opinion........I can't take the HD650 s for more than a few minutes, but the Grados don't bug me too much, what can I say?
Maybe I have a weird shaped head?
Neither are as comfortable as AKG Q701 or Beyer DT880......YMMV.......like I said, just my opinion.
Can't take the mellow Senn sound either.........just my opinion

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #576 of 1,845
I have a DT-880 PRO and a K702 (the AKG is 6 month old and fully burned more than 900 h) the DT-880 PRO have only 2 weeks , it's an great can i love them both  , each have their own way to sound , but i have a serious confort issue with My DT-880 Pro that i don't have with my K702, i feel pressure on the top rear of my hear (more the left one ...) at first i don't notice that but for long listening lessons it's becoming unberable for me , K702 no problem at all . 

Would i have this issue with the DT-880 edition too? i suspect to much clamping force for me with the DT-880 Pro . 

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #577 of 1,845

Quote:
I have a large head and I own the DT990 Pro's and the AKG Q701s. I used to own the DT880 Pros. The 880s and 990s are totally fine comfort-wise but the Q701s are in a league of their own. Like you said, YMMV, but for big-headed blokes like me the Q701s feel like they're just floating up there. Every once in a while I mix music on a deadline and end up wearing the 701s at my desk for 24+ hours (practically) straight, and they just don't become irritable at all.

If there's another pair of phones out there that can compete with the 701s comfort-wise during extreme hours like this, someone please tell me. Comfort is one thing, but fatigue from the frequency response is very real on the 701s... at least for me.

The D7000 are more comfortable on my head than the AKG by quite a bit, with a less fatiguing sound to boot. I don't know if the D7000 is the best for mixing though.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #579 of 1,845
Hi,

I have not tried the O2 amp yet so unfortunately I do not know. As long as the amp has higher output voltage (9V or more) then it should be competent. As to how well it will amp them I am not not sure. 

I know at one point a owned a CMOY that ran off four 9V batteries and it drove the 250Ohm DT880 with absolute ease. It had 36V total of voltage swing and that's quite a bit!

Quote:
Zombie, do the DT880 600 pair well with an Objective 2 amp? I know you reviewed one in the past but I think that was before you recieved your masters degree in Beyerdynamics. =P

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #580 of 1,845

Quote:
I have a DT-880 PRO and a K702 (the AKG is 6 month old and fully burned more than 900 h) the DT-880 PRO have only 2 weeks , it's an great can i love them both  , each have their own way to sound , but i have a serious confort issue with My DT-880 Pro that i don't have with my K702, i feel pressure on the top rear of my hear (more the left one ...) at first i don't notice that but for long listening lessons it's becoming unberable for me , K702 no problem at all . 

Would i have this issue with the DT-880 edition too? i suspect to much clamping force for me with the DT-880 Pro . 

Well just received my DT-880 600 ohms editions ... This one are confy not like Pro you put too much pressure on my hears . And they sound indeed beter , biger and deeper soudstage a bit less proeminant highs , more medium but a bit less impact with bass but they are more clearer , and i like them more (used to my K702 ...) . And seam a little bit more clearer en resolving too . My Audio GD C2.1 seam to driver them well , they need a bit more than my K702 or DT-880 PRO (about the same for me in volume ) but not too much too :) .

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #581 of 1,845
Hi I own a pair of DT 770 pro 80 ohm and I use a Argon HA-1( it's a renamed Firestone Cute Beyond).I plan to buy the DT 990 pro but I wonder has anyone tried the 990 with the Cute Beyond/Argon HA1? ( the Argon is made by Firestone for the Nordic market)

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #582 of 1,845
2 month update with my DT-880 Premium 600 ohm headphones. Equipment. MacBook using mp3 at 320 bit. Musical Fidelity V-DAC & V-PSU. Little Dot MKIV tube amp.

Verdict after 2 months. Comfort is awesome. Sound quality is perfect. Stunning. Enjoyable. Fun. Detailed. Genres. You name it I listen to it. Jazz, blues, rock and classical are phenomenal.

This is my perfect rig. No intention ever of changing it either.

I bought today some sennheiser px-200 IIi to use as my portable pair.

Thanks again for Zombie_X and everyone who helped me.

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #583 of 1,845
No problem man! Enjoy those nice headphones!

Quote:
2 month update with my DT-880 Premium 600 ohm headphones. Equipment. MacBook using mp3 at 320 bit. Musical Fidelity V-DAC & V-PSU. Little Dot MKIV tube amp.

Verdict after 2 months. Comfort is awesome. Sound quality is perfect. Stunning. Enjoyable. Fun. Detailed. Genres. You name it I listen to it. Jazz, blues, rock and classical are phenomenal.

This is my perfect rig. No intention ever of changing it either.

I bought today some sennheiser px-200 IIi to use as my portable pair.

Thanks again for Zombie_X and everyone who helped me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back