[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Jul 11, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #377 of 1,845
I'm interested in a pair of DT 770s for home, I'm restricting myself to that model due to it being a closed headphone and as much as I would love to try out and experience open headphones, I need to block out external noises (the wife loves blasting her music on the speakers...). I've read through most of this thread and I'm still on the fence with regards to choosing a version. I have a Yulong D100 that I use for music and gaming at home. That said, I would be using this headphone more for gaming instead of music (70% gaming/ 30% music)

I'm very certain of the type of sound I want for music, however when it comes to gaming, I have a hard time deciding. For music, I enjoy a neutral sound with very slightly rolled off highs and a tight bass with quick response. PRAT is a high factor for me for music.

I love games as well too. I love competitive RTS and FPS games. I also enjoy RPGs. Am I a pro-gamer? No. Do I enjoy competitive gaming? Yes. As much as positional cues are important, I think I would prefer something that is immersive and true to the audio mastering of that game (if that even makes any sense)

At this moment, I am considering the 600ohms version because of the tighter and quicker bass compared to the other models. As much as I love bass, I do not enjoy it if it overpowers the other frequencies too much(hence my modded D5000s.) Some bass is always nice..

I also understand that the DT 770s pair better with Tube amps and since i have a SS amp, I'm not sure if sound will be too bright for me. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #378 of 1,845
Just got my DT 990 600 ohm.  They are pretty darn smooth compared to my 770/32 ohm.

more mid bass and maybe a touch more mids, and the highs actually seem smoother.

The only thing that definately stands out is that,  the 770/32 ohm are the bass monster, not the 990s.  specifically sub bass.

BUT this is all coming from a SS amp.
im gonna pick a little dot OTL for the 990s and see how that goes

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #380 of 1,845
I agree.
How do they match with your LD MKII?

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #381 of 1,845
I do not know how the DT990s with the Little Dot compare with other good SS amps, but I will say that the soundstage improves a hell of a lot, and there's so much volume overhead.  I never have to crank the volume dial over 20%.  The sub-bass is weak though, and again not sure how the sub-bass compares with other SS amps or more expensive Tube amps.  I tried it through an iDecco, but the volume was low to begin with.  With EQ of 12db from 32-64hz however, it very much becomes a bass monster, although a lot of times the bass overpowers.  I wish osx had a more competent EQ, otherwise I would always EQ.

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #382 of 1,845
I just use an old Pioneer reciever.  It gives my shures, 770/32 and my old M50s all they want.  But its by no means HiFi. But the shure 840s sound great on anything, and the 770s are lower impedance, but the Pioneer might not have the voltage swing for the 600 ohms.
Does the LD mkII get really really hot?

also different subject, Anybody ever washed their ear pads?  my 770s could use freshening up.  and i didn't realize till i got the 990s
Dishwasher?
hand wash with some tide?
Don't wash and buy new ones?

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #384 of 1,845
Yes it gets pretty hot.  The power tubes are hot enough that you can burn your hand if you touch them for more than a split second.  If the room is really small, it will heat the room up a bit, but nothing that effects any room that's a decent size.

I washed my DT990s in a small plastic tub or warm water with 2-3 tiny drops of dish soap, and gently stroked with my fingers for 1-2 minutes, let soak for 5-7 more minutes, then rubbed again for another 1-2 minutes.  I then gave them a 3-5 minute rinse.  They dry slow.  They will get dry enough overnight and into the next day, but will not fully get back into original shape for another day or so.  They will also puffin out a bit if they were already a bit compressed.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #385 of 1,845

Quote:
also different subject, Anybody ever washed their ear pads?  my 770s could use freshening up.  and i didn't realize till i got the 990s
Dishwasher?
hand wash with some tide?
Don't wash and buy new ones?

I put them in our washing machine, and use the silk program with a small dose of a regular cleaning product.
So they are washed gently.
I'll let them  dry in open air.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #386 of 1,845
are the 770/880/990 pads the same?
because i swear the 990s pads are a bit more comfortable then the 770s but maybe thats just the openess and breathability or something

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #387 of 1,845
The 880 and 990 have a grid of holes on the back of the pads, making them fully open.  The 770s are solid on the back, to help increase isolation and to prevent all of the bass from running away.

Quote:
are the 770/880/990 pads the same?
because i swear the 990s pads are a bit more comfortable then the 770s but maybe thats just the openess and breathability or something

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #388 of 1,845

just got these from beyer with the 770 part number, which was different than the 990 part number, but looks exactly like both.  and they are too big of a pain to put back on or i'd take the set off the 990s and put these on them and see

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #390 of 1,845
well you may not be far off because i do think they may be different.  they feel different on the head a bit.  the 990 pads are def softer.  and i swear i heard somewhere that they do sound different, but they look identical and if they were the same why would they sell them as different items?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back