[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Jun 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #361 of 1,845
Hey there, sorry for not responding sooner. The DT990 leaks a bit of sound. Your neighbors on the plane could probably hear you pretty loud and clear. I use my DT990/600Ohm with my portable set-up from time to time and people could hear it easily. For travel I would suggest a closed headphone, and the D2000 does not isolate that well either.

Quote:
Great write up. I think I have read a few times now.

I've been going back and forth trying to find a new set of headphones, I currently use HD650's and I want something different with a lot of bass. I almost went with D2000, but had a change of heart. I really want to get DT 990 600ohm but I want to use my next headphone when I travel (on a plane) I know it's open and I don't expect it block out any noise, but I wanted to hear from DT 990 owners if you have ever used it on a plane or the bus. How much sound does it leak, will people sitting next to me and behind me be able to hear everything because my HD650's are pretty much speakers on my ears and everything leaks out.

I couldn't really find a good portable set of headphones, I'm even leaning towards DT770, but I have a feeling if I go this route I will end up getting the DT990 anyways in the future.

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #363 of 1,845
Hey, no worries. Thanks for the explanation. For the last few days I've been doing a lot of reading on the Ultrasone Pro 900's, it sounds like their bass is a little different from the DT990's and some people actually prefer it more.

What are your thoughts on the Ultrasone Pro 900? I'm really interested, but the only thing that's holding me back is its price tag. I'm thinking about selling off my HD650's, but I think I would miss them too much, they pair very well with me WA6 SE.

Quote:
Hey there, sorry for not responding sooner. The DT990 leaks a bit of sound. Your neighbors on the plane could probably hear you pretty loud and clear. I use my DT990/600Ohm with my portable set-up from time to time and people could hear it easily. For travel I would suggest a closed headphone, and the D2000 does not isolate that well either.

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #364 of 1,845
I would say it's Ok but not stellar. I think it would do fine for casual gaming but if you are very competitive then you might have to look elsewhere as the DT770's soundstage is very small.

Quote:
Zombie, is the DT770 600Ohm soundstage good enough for gamimg?

Unfortunately I have not heard this headphone. The only Ultrasone's I have heard are the Edition 9's and the HIFI-580. And neither of them had a great soundstage.

Quote:
Hey, no worries. Thanks for the explanation. For the last few days I've been doing a lot of reading on the Ultrasone Pro 900's, it sounds like their bass is a little different from the DT990's and some people actually prefer it more.

What are your thoughts on the Ultrasone Pro 900? I'm really interested, but the only thing that's holding me back is its price tag. I'm thinking about selling off my HD650's, but I think I would miss them too much, they pair very well with me WA6 SE.

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #365 of 1,845
For anyone with experience:
Is the difference between the DT990 pro and premium 32 hugely noticable?
the price difference is definately considerable.
I really want to try a pair of the open beyers as i LOVE my 770/32 but not sure i want to drop the 250$ from a sketch source on ebay when i could get the older looking black pros for 160$ new.
Basically is the sound worth the difference in price?

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #367 of 1,845
It's a noticeable difference but not a huge one. They are both nearly the same phone but tweaked and made differently. The Pro models have more clamp, more bass, less soundstage, and slightly more relaxed sounding treble (from the extra clamping). If you have a good amp then the 32Ohm model would do just fine.

Quote:
For anyone with experience:
Is the difference between the DT990 pro and premium 32 hugely noticable?
the price difference is definately considerable.
I really want to try a pair of the open beyers as i LOVE my 770/32 but not sure i want to drop the 250$ from a sketch source on ebay when i could get the older looking black pros for 160$ new.
Basically is the sound worth the difference in price?

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #369 of 1,845
Hi everyone,

i got M-AUDIO Projectmix and i plan to buy a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO - 250 Ohm. I would like to know if they will play loud enough in spite of the 250 Ohms...or you recommend a headphone preamp ? Thanks.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #370 of 1,845
Sweet, there's a whole thread here dedicated to the Beyers.  Help would be appreciated.

I'm looking for some guidance on the Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones strictly for gaming on PC..  I currently have an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card and I'm really confused on which of the three headphone ohms to get. 

1.  From what I understand, if I get the 32 ohm version, a dac/amp is not necessarily required.  However, the Asus STX says that it can drive headphones up to 600 ohms, but I'm assuming the quality of the 600ohm version would be way below what it can be with proper dac/amp.  Is this right?

2.  I've read that soundstage in games doesn't change much, if any, between the 32, 250 and 600 ohm DT880's.  If that's the case, I could just get the 32 ohm with no dac/amp and be fine?

3.  However, if I actually would get better soundstange with higher ohm versions, than would I need something like the Fiio E7 and Fiio E9 dock?  The DAC/AMP requirements for anything above 32 ohms is quite confusing to me.  But like I said, if there is no change in regards to sound stage between the 32 ohms and 250/600 ohms verions than I really am not worried about the DAC/AMP.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #371 of 1,845
I would highly recommend and amp with the 32Ohm model as their sensitivity works against the low impedance they have. IMO they are just as hard to amp as the 250Ohm model and possibly a bit bit tougher. The 32Ohm rating they have doesn't mean easy amping at all in this case. The Asus can get them loud enough but drive them well at all, so don't believe the claims that they can. The Asus still have a very mediocre amp in it and only drives 32Ohm headphones ok.

The soundstage between the impedances are different. 600ohm having the biggest soundstage while the 32Ohm and 250Oh are close. In games it does not mater as most sounds are just directional. If I were you I would go with the 250Ohm version as it's also cheaper than the 32Ohm model.

No need to go all out on an amp and DAC. You could get a PHENIX G3 (for 250Ohm and 600Ohm beyers) or a Little-Dot 1+ (for the 32Ohm beyers) and just use the line out from your Asus as it's DAC is decent. The Fiio would be fine for the 32Ohm models if you're not into importing amps. I think the Asus and an amp is a good starter set.

Quote:
Sweet, there's a whole thread here dedicated to the Beyers.  Help would be appreciated.

I'm looking for some guidance on the Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones strictly for gaming on PC..  I currently have an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card and I'm really confused on which of the three headphone ohms to get. 

1.  From what I understand, if I get the 32 ohm version, a dac/amp is not necessarily required.  However, the Asus STX says that it can drive headphones up to 600 ohms, but I'm assuming the quality of the 600ohm version would be way below what it can be with proper dac/amp.  Is this right?

2.  I've read that soundstage in games doesn't change much, if any, between the 32, 250 and 600 ohm DT880's.  If that's the case, I could just get the 32 ohm with no dac/amp and be fine?

3.  However, if I actually would get better soundstange with higher ohm versions, than would I need something like the Fiio E7 and Fiio E9 dock?  The DAC/AMP requirements for anything above 32 ohms is quite confusing to me.  But like I said, if there is no change in regards to sound stage between the 32 ohms and 250/600 ohms verions than I really am not worried about the DAC/AMP.

I would think it would get it loud enough but how well it drives them is unknown to me.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

i got M-AUDIO Projectmix and i plan to buy a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO - 250 Ohm. I would like to know if they will play loud enough in spite of the 250 Ohms...or you recommend a headphone preamp ? Thanks.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #375 of 1,845
I think it would improve quite a bit. Despite what everyone says about the FiiO amp, it most certainly does not power any of the 600Ohm beyers properly. The Little-Dot MKIII would power them much much better since it's an OTL amp and gives them the voltage they need. Now as to how much they improve is still unclear to me but they should sound much better.

Quote:
Zombie, I have the DT880 600Ohm, Im amping them with the FiiO combo.(E9+E7), do you think the sound will get even better with a Little Dot MKIII tube amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back