[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Mar 8, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #256 of 1,845
I have never tried the DAC but the PHENIX G3 goes with the DT990/600 very nicely. The amp has a rolled off treble and lush mids which works well with the DT990's. I found it also has a little more body to the bass as well. You should love the combo.

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #257 of 1,845
Thanks! So which should I go with now? Both would be 600 ohm but the dt880's or the 990's? I'm pretty set on the 990's but is there anything that i should hear about the 880's before i take the plunge with the 990's?

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #259 of 1,845
I ahve both the DT880 and DT990 in the 600Ohm variations and the DT880 is far more neutral in it's presentation. With this amp (PHENIX G3) it becomes a very smooth headphones and even becomes great for rock/metal. The bass also gains more heft to it.

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #260 of 1,845
Do you find the 880's neutral quality to be boring?  I listen to jazz(mingus, blakely, Davis), 60's pop(the zombies/the beatles), Indie music that has lots of instruments(beirut, Sufjan stevens, Elliott smith), the blues(hooker, muddy waters) and folk(joanna newsom/simon garfunkel). Im not much for rap or country. which headphone would you say is for me? I keep thinking that I know which one i want and then i find a thread or article that completely contradicts what i thought was true. some despise the 990 while others love it.  Of all of the headphones i have researched these have been the most disputed.  either choice would be paired with the Phenix. which one? thanks for the help

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #261 of 1,845
For your need I think the DT880 would be best. It will sound mucuh better than the DT990 on the PHENIX G3.

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #262 of 1,845
I've decided to switch from the Phenix g3 to the little dot MKIII or Mk IV. Would the same be true for either of these amps?  I see that you still have your dt990's. just out of curiosity why did you decide to keep them? also when you do bust your 990's out what do you listen to on them?

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #263 of 1,845
Believe me, there are 2 version of Dt880, bass light and bass heavy. I found the bass heavy one from my friend, over emphasized bass with piercing treble. Its mid is almost disappeared. Both are 250Ohm version. However, I prefer my 250Ohm version than the other 600Ohm, much tigher bass and forward mid.

I drive my beyer by my corda 3move :D, I think corda 3move is quite a good amp for beyers.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #264 of 1,845
Oh and I don't think they are boring at all. I like the neutrality of them. It makes the music seem, I don't know, more real? I have always liked neutral phones more than fun phones.

A good example is how many say the K701/K702 are boring sounding but I have to say they sound very lively to me, they just don't have that lively bass that everyone may want.

The DT880 sounds lively to me and the DT990 sounds more wild or untamed sounding. It's just that the DT990 sounds a lot more aggressive and in your face. It reminds me of the Grado aggressiveness, but they do not posses the same presentation or tonal qualities.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #265 of 1,845
I'm another person that prefers the 250 ohm DT-880 over the 32 and 600 ohm versions. I felt really guilty about returning it, but I might buy another one. Unfortunately the price has gone up from the $220 price I paid a few months ago. I'm really kicking myself for not trying them for games.

Does anyone know how the soundstage size compares to other similar headphones? Is it larger than the HD-600, HD-650 or K601? If I remember right, the soundstage on the DT-880 was rather disappointing for a semi-open headphone. Hopefully it's larger than the HD-650 soundstage which just seems so small compared to the HD-598 and AD700.

What's really strange is that to my ears the treble on the 32/600 ohm version bothered me somewhat, yet the treble on the DT-990 250 didn't. How does that happen?! Based on memory it felt like the 250 OHM DT-880 had better female vocals (compared to the 32/600 versions) which is a high priority for me.

I think I returned the DT-880 250 originally because it felt kind of boring and lifeless to me at times. I think I really needed more time with it because now I'm kind of liking that more and more lately. I actually find the K701 more fun to listen to than the DT-880, but I'm no longer a fan of that headphone when I compared it to others and found out about many of it's negatives.

Now I need to go find some AD700 and DT-880 comparisons. I love the AD700 for gaming and I'm not sure if the DT-880 will be that big of an upgrade for gaming. I imagine the DT-880 for gaming will offer more detail and clarity, better comfort and slightly better mids for music. I don't use my AD700 for music and my HD-650 is terrible for gaming.

Hopefully the DT-880 goes down in price soon.

BTW it's funny how similar some of the DT-880 and HD-650 frequency graphs are. Of course they still don't even sound similar in any way to me. I guess the DT-880 will be my more neutral headphone if I decide to buy it again. I dislike using the AD700 because it feels too big and awkward on my head and isn't always that comfortable.

I've also noticed Beyerdynamic sells some much cheaper headphones in the DT- series. I wonder how they compare. One of them is the DT-860 I believe.

Quote:
Believe me, there are 2 version of Dt880, bass light and bass heavy. I found the bass heavy one from my friend, over emphasized bass with piercing treble. Its mid is almost disappeared. Both are 250Ohm version. However, I prefer my 250Ohm version than the other 600Ohm, much tigher bass and forward mid.

I drive my beyer by my corda 3move :D, I think corda 3move is quite a good amp for beyers.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #266 of 1,845
If i were you, I'd rather use dt880 for music and buy a Razer phone for gaming. I never use dt880 for gaming because it doesn't give much effects and positions. Moreover, razer is cheap and with it dedicated soundcard and multidrivers, you can get 7.1 or 5.1 headphone :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I returned the DT-880 250 originally because it felt kind of boring and lifeless to me at times. I think I really needed more time with it because now I'm kind of liking that more and more lately. I actually find the K701 more fun to listen to than the DT-880, but I'm no longer a fan of that headphone when I compared it to others and found out about many of it's negatives.

Now I need to go find some AD700 and DT-880 comparisons. I love the AD700 for gaming and I'm not sure if the DT-880 will be that big of an upgrade for gaming. I imagine the DT-880 for gaming will offer more detail and clarity, better comfort and slightly better mids for music. I don't use my AD700 for music and my HD-650 is terrible for gaming.

Hopefully the DT-880 goes down in price soon.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #267 of 1,845

Quote:
If i were you, I'd rather use dt880 for music and buy a Razer phone for gaming. I never use dt880 for gaming because it doesn't give much effects and positions. Moreover, razer is cheap and with it dedicated soundcard and multidrivers, you can get 7.1 or 5.1 headphone :D

Multidriver headphones are a BLIGHT in the headphone world. You can get just as accurate positioning from a proper stereo headphone with Dolby Headphone virtual surround. Not to mention, the sound quality will be MUUUUCH better.

That being said, the DT880 wasn't a great pairing for Dolby Headphone, IMHO. The DT770 and DT990 offer beter positional awareness for me.

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #268 of 1,845
If anyone's interested in buying some beyer's try www.proaudiostar.com.  I just bought a new pair there last night and they have this thing where you can name a price.  I got them to drop $25 and free shipping too!  I can't wait to get my DT880's(600 ohm).  I keep reading reviews about them just to excite myself more! 

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #269 of 1,845
I just bought another pair of DT-880's too. I bought the 250 ohm version for $220 months ago when they were cheap and wanted to keep those, but just couldn't. It's a long story. They then went back up to $299. I found a 32 ohm pair shipped from Amazon's warehouse for $194 yesterday. Like new and with $3.99 next day delivery. Not too bad I guess. I will primarily use them for gaming since the AD700 is gets annoying after an hour due to it's pads and feeling so awkward on my head. My new DT-880 should be here today. I prefer the 250 ohm version, but the 32 ohm version should be fine. I do remember the 32 ohm version being a bit too bright for me, but I'll deal with it.

DT-880 will be a good alternative to my HD-650 for music too. Despite having many similarities on paper, I don't think they sound even remotely alike. They should be less colored than my HD-650, so sometimes I want that, but not always. I've been through maybe 6 different DT-770-990 headphones, so it's about time I just stuck with one for good. I'm so picky.

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #270 of 1,845
Got the DT-880 32 ohm again and it's different then my first pair. The first pair had terrible vocals and lots of sibilance. This one doesn't. I think maybe I had a lemon. The DT-880 has a thinner sound than the HD-650 of course and I think I like this at times. At times the HD-650 feels a bit congested with some music and not as clear as I want, but still very good. I don't know how else to describe it. I'm keeping both since I've found female vocals are far better on the HD-650 to me. They're also quite a bit more fun and engaging to listen to. DT-800 feels more clear and detailed and not just because of the extra treble. It's stupid for me to even compare the two, so I'm not going to.

I don't find the mids recessed really at all. They're quite laid back a bit it seems and they don't seem to color my music too much. They definitely feel more neutral than my HD-650 for sure. I got the DT-880 for gaming mostly, but I found I like them more than I did before. Perhaps my preferences have changed a bit. This may be strange but the DT-880 32 ohm is less fatiguing than my newer HD-650. I'm not sure why.

I was also surprised that I prefer the soundstage on the DT-880 over the HD-650. I can't wait to test them out for gaming and movies.

BTW I did test them out unamped with my Ipod Touch and it's not horrible. I have to put the volume at 95% and in the end I did connect a small amp to them. I was actually using them today while weight lifting! They "only' fell off my head about twice since somehow I have to put them at the 5 dot setting despite having a small head?!

I also find my DT-880 less forgiving than my HD-650 with poor quality sources and files. The DT-880 makes a lot of my music sound like garbage. I can imagine a lot of people complaining about the DT-880's sound when it could be the source or file quality.

I'm probably going to return my AD700 that I use for gaming. HD-650 and DT-880 will be a good pair I think. Got my DT-880 for $200 and it sure feels like a good deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back