[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Apr 8, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #1,801 of 1,845
One more thing. I can't find the E07's anywhere, but I can find the E10K's everywhere and for pretty decent prices. Would they do well? And how would I go about connecting it to a PC and iDevice do you know?

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #1,802 of 1,845
Just my initial impressions of the DT-990/250 that I picked up on sale yesterday for $139. Opinions seem to be all over the place with regards to highs being horrible, or fantastic. I actually don't find the highs offensive at all, in fact I find them pretty nice and clean. The one song I use to test if I will be able to tolerate the highs is, Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams"(24/96 from HDTracks). The cymbal crash throughout the song can hit my head like a laser on some headphones. With the DT-990 it sounds clean and accurate.

Overall, I like these and they show a ton of stuff that I miss in others headphones. I like my M1060's better, but these are very good. Also, I am surprised that more people don't like these. I will say that they kick arse for gaming.

May 16, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #1,803 of 1,845
Just my initial impressions of the DT-990/250 that I picked up on sale yesterday for $139. Opinions seem to be all over the place with regards to highs being horrible, or fantastic. I actually don't find the highs offensive at all, in fact I find them pretty nice and clean. The one song I use to test if I will be able to tolerate the highs is, Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams"(24/96 from HDTracks). The cymbal crash throughout the song can hit my head like a laser on some headphones. With the DT-990 it sounds clean and accurate.

Overall, I like these and they show a ton of stuff that I miss in others headphones. I like my M1060's better, but these are very good. Also, I am surprised that more people don't like these. I will say that they kick arse for gaming.
I'm with you, The 990s are just perfect. I don't get any harsh highs. Feed them high quality music and they sing. Toss some crappy mp3 or bad mastered music at them and they sound bad. Run some hi rez or sacd via a good source and it's end game for me at least. Saves me a ton of cash for other stuff.

IMG_1934.JPG

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #1,804 of 1,845
I'm with you, The 990s are just perfect. I don't get any harsh highs. Feed them high quality music and they sing. Toss some crappy mp3 or bad mastered music at them and they sound bad. Run some hi rez or sacd via a good source and it's end game for me at least. Saves me a ton of cash for other stuff.

As for recessed mids and vocals, well they seem to me to be where I expect them. Some headphones bring the vocals into the front, which drives me nuts on bands that are not just about the singer. I like to hear the entire band. Even vocal centric bands sound great and vocals are still the focus.

If there is one flaw with the DT-990's. it would be the cable. Not a fan of the coiled one. I see there is a special edition with a straight one, I might get that.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #1,805 of 1,845

Coming from hd600. Which one should I buy ? I need better bass thump but no hot treble? Thanks

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,807 of 1,845
Man, why did Beyerdynamic have to make it so hard, releasing 3 variations of 3 models.

Anyways, I tried DT770 80 Ohm Pro and compared it to Grado SR-225 (mine).

I have no idea how people claim 80 Ohm Pro is "bassy", they have very little bass compared to Grado 225s. Judging from reviews I imagined these would be basshead headphones that rival Beats in the shameless thump. But they have adequate bass, not excessive at all.
Also, people claim they have recessed mids, and yet their mids were way more forward than the distant sounding 225 mids.

Their sound is W shaped.

Grado has a "sharper" sound, but I can't hear instruments and details separately. I could immediately spot them on DT 770. Treble on Grado is "sharper", yet on DT 770, I noticed it more.

I have to say I liked DT770 80 Ohm Pro more.

I wonder how DT880s sound in actuality, because people claimed things about DT770 Pro 80Ohm that I did not find at all.

This guy's review is pretty spot on:

Although, I still disagree regarding the bass (but it could be the worn out pads though, he talked about pads changing the sound a bit on Beyers in another video).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,808 of 1,845
I'm going to resurrect this thread a bit. I've been working on a complete overhaul of this thread on my PC and it will be eventually published on here. I know this thread is 10 years old and I haven't updated it that much but I do plan on adding many more beyer varieties to it with the overhaul.

I am also working on new videos for YouTube. I've got a beefier PC and new camera to shoot the videos on. Stay tuned for new content!

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #1,810 of 1,845
A very useful thread.
I like my DT770 250 ohm. I use it occasionally for studio applications and also for when I just want to relax and listen to music without being too concerned about sound quality. I also used to own the DT880 600 ohm and the DT990 250 ohm, and of the 3, my favourite is the one I have now,- the DT770 250 ohm. I didn't really like the DT880 (way too treble oriented for my liking) and I did like the DT990 250 ohm, but there was no point in keeping it as I had K702. I would say the only thing I preferred about the DT990 over the DT770, was that the DT990 had a wider sound stage and better imaging. Apart from that, the DT770 is my favourite of the trio. Just thought i'd share my opinion.

Aug 15, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #1,811 of 1,845
I have settled on the DT 990's but I'm not sure if I should get the Pro or Premium Edition. Either way I want them in 600 ohm and they have to be all black, but is the head band on the Pro version really that much tighter than the Premium edition? That seems to be the only difference from what I've read. I have tried the Pro's on at Guitar Center and they felt fine, but this was a demo set that has seen better days, in fact it couldn't even play music so it was literally just a sit on my head demo... So for extended use is the Premium headset much more comfortable than the Pro? The Pro seems to be cheaper by a few bucks too...

Aug 15, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #1,812 of 1,845
I have settled on the DT 990's but I'm not sure if I should get the Pro or Premium Edition. Either way I want them in 600 ohm and they have to be all black, but is the head band on the Pro version really that much tighter than the Premium edition? That seems to be the only difference from what I've read. I have tried the Pro's on at Guitar Center and they felt fine, but this was a demo set that has seen better days, in fact it couldn't even play music so it was literally just a sit on my head demo... So for extended use is the Premium headset much more comfortable than the Pro? The Pro seems to be cheaper by a few bucks too...
I had both some time ago. The pro is tight. The first week it was uncomfortable and it bothering me. But after that week it felt secured. The premium i had was used, it was really loose i didn’t like how it felt but every time I change headphone I found everything else uncomfortable after using the premium Dt990. I would say better to focus on the version you want 250 or 600 ohm. I like the 600 more.

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #1,813 of 1,845
It's weird how much the prices vary on the different DT 990's. From Premium to Pro, different ohms, and colors there doesn't seem to be any pricing guideline. The Limited Edition Black 250ohm Pro version is $149... While the Premium 32ohm in gray is $179, and the 600ohm in gray is $163. and 250 Ohm in gray is $184... The 600 Ohm in black is sold out at the moment, and that's the only one I want. Guitar Center doesn't have it, they only stock the Pro version and they don't have that in 600 ohm either. Meanwhile Amazon is selling "Renewed" versions for $159... If anyone see's the Premium Black 600 Ohm DT 990's please post a link.

Aug 17, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #1,814 of 1,845
It's weird how much the prices vary on the different DT 990's. From Premium to Pro, different ohms, and colors there doesn't seem to be any pricing guideline. The Limited Edition Black 250ohm Pro version is $149... While the Premium 32ohm in gray is $179, and the 600ohm in gray is $163. and 250 Ohm in gray is $184... The 600 Ohm in black is sold out at the moment, and that's the only one I want. Guitar Center doesn't have it, they only stock the Pro version and they don't have that in 600 ohm either. Meanwhile Amazon is selling "Renewed" versions for $159... If anyone see's the Premium Black 600 Ohm DT 990's please post a link.
I also want the all black dt990 600 ohm premium. I have the dt990 600 ohm chrome edition but having the dt880 600 ohm all black makes me want my dt990 all black as well.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #1,815 of 1,845
I also want the all black dt990 600 ohm premium. I have the dt990 600 ohm chrome edition but having the dt880 600 ohm all black makes me want my dt990 all black as well.
I'm so impatient, I just bought the gray 600 Ohm Premiums. $163 is a good price and with my soundcard on its way I don't want to wait for the black ones to restock. They'll probably be $219 too so I saw a good unboxing video on the grays and they still look good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back