[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Jul 3, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #1,771 of 1,845
Completely torn between the 80ohm and 250ohm dt 770, currently have 598c's, they will be going into an SMSL m6 DAC /AMP so no powering issues, just heard the 250 ohms are not as warm and the high are quite harsh on the ears.

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #1,772 of 1,845
Completely torn between the 80ohm and 250ohm dt 770, currently have 598c's, they will be going into an SMSL m6 DAC /AMP so no powering issues, just heard the 250 ohms are not as warm and the high are quite harsh on the ears.

Consider the dt-770 32ohm. From what I've read, they are possible better than boththe 80-ohm or 250-ohm. I have the 32ohm myself, but have not tried the others, so I can't do a comparison. But overall I really enjoy the sound of the 32ohm.

Nov 26, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,777 of 1,845
Leaning towards buying the DT990 pro. Alot of reviews say that the mids are recessed abit. Does that mean that its hard to make out what the singers are singing ? Or is it like the singers are pushed back in the music but still able to hear and make out the words the singers are singing ? After EQ does sss sounds in music get better or still the same ? Hope someone who have these can shed some light.

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #1,778 of 1,845
Leaning towards buying the DT990 pro. Alot of reviews say that the mids are recessed abit. Does that mean that its hard to make out what the singers are singing ? Or is it like the singers are pushed back in the music but still able to hear and make out the words the singers are singing ? After EQ does sss sounds in music get better or still the same ? Hope someone who have these can shed some light.

I have the dt770 32ohm, dt880 250ohm premium, dt990 250ohm and the dt1990 (I really like the beyerdynamic sound).
I think the "recessed mids" on beyers are a litte exaggerated. They are slightly recessed, the bass is a little boosted (but not compared to cheaper headphones) and the highs are really high. The dt990 is the worst offender in regards to highs, as they are really piercing the first time you put them on. If you get used to the treble is a matter of preference, i guess. I would still use the dt990 as my main headphone, if my girlfriend didn't get me the dt1990 after she noticed I kept looking up reviews of them. :D

Note that all the Beyers really need an amp to sound good, and they all need some burn-in time.

Edit: But to answer your question: Yes, the vocals are not forwarded in favor of the instruments as they are in some headphones. But I do think that the separation on all the headphones are pretty good, and you will not have a problem hearing vocals at all, but they will not outshine the instruments.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #1,781 of 1,845
Can you guys give me some advice? I need a.... well I want a new pair of headphones soon and I can't decide on what to buy. I used to have the dt770 (gave them to a friend) and I want them back. I had the 250 ohm version back then, but everyone seems to prefer the 80 ohm version. Also has anyone here tried the Custom Studio? People say it's the same as the dt770 but with a detachable cable. If that's the case I would go for them. Ohh and how is the t5p (second gen) compared to these? Well they are a lot more expensive, but are they also worth the extra money?

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #1,782 of 1,845
Depends on what you want.
I actually think most people agree, that the new dt-770 32ohm has an overall better sound than both the 80ohm and 250ohm. I really like mine, but since i got the dt-1990 i only use them at work.
I haven't heard the Custom Studio, but I would think they are somewhat better than the dt770 - but it's just a hunch.

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,783 of 1,845
I haven't heard the Custom Studio but used to own the Custom Pro. In the pro the drivers were a weak point, and I swapped in drivers from a DT770 (can't remember what version) and noticed an improvement. Whether the Custom with new drivers was better than a stock DT770, eh that's a tossup.

If the Studio drivers are better than the original pros, then you're probably in the same ballpark as a DT770. The Custom enclosures have a slightly different shape to the sound, but share in the Beyer house sound with the strong treble. All of mine have stuffing in the cups to tame that down a bit. DT770 has better isolation overall. Custom lets you play with cables and sliders and shields.

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #1,784 of 1,845
Yeah I think I am not going risk it and buy the custom studio, or custom pro. Anyway, I am reading some reviews and almost everyone says that the 80 ohm version is better because it has more bass and less treble, right? As a guy who likes treble, should I go for the 250 ohm version? And how is the dt 770 compared to the new t5p?

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like the expensive headphones always come with a drawback to them. Like, they do something really good but other things bad.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #1,785 of 1,845
It's been a while so my memory is going to be faulty on the differences. I haven't heard the T5p either so I can't help you there.

Personally I'd just lean more towards the Custom Studio because you can tailor the sound a bit and removable cables are handy.

As for expensive//drawbacks, well that's just part of the game. The more you spend, the pickier you have to be. Then again, I'm one of those nutjobs with a modded HE-6 powered off a speaker amp, so clearly I'm not the right kind of person to be answering these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back