[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Sep 23, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #1,741 of 1,845
  You'll need to tell us more specifically about how you "tire" of the MM500's. Is it the clamping  pressure? Do you feel like the high frequencies are pressing in on your head? Or perhaps it's the lower frequencies that are feeling overpowered? does it make you feel claustrophobic or pressured? is it heat/sweat?

Definitly pressured, no problems with heat/sweat or claustrophobia. The clamping bothers just a little, what kills me is the pressure inside my head/ear. Not sure about the high or low frequencies.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #1,742 of 1,845
Oh I just noticed the MM500-X is a bluetooth headphone (for some reason I thought it was one of the gaming headsets). Ok so wireless throws a wrench into the whole thing, because it might simply be the bluetooth itself which is causing the "pressure" feeling.

In general though, if choosing between the DT770 or DT880 and if isolation is not a concern, the 880 wins my vote.

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,743 of 1,845
  Oh I just noticed the MM500-X is a bluetooth headphone (for some reason I thought it was one of the gaming headsets). Ok so wireless throws a wrench into the whole thing, because it might simply be the bluetooth itself which is causing the "pressure" feeling.

In general though, if choosing between the DT770 or DT880 and if isolation is not a concern, the 880 wins my vote.

Thanks man, I believe the 880 is the best choice for me =)

Sep 25, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #1,744 of 1,845
  Thanks man, I believe the 880 is the best choice for me =)

I listen to alot of metal, including doom and funeral doom, and I have to say, that the dt770 does metal and rock better. It is just at bit more v-shaped than the dt880 (I have both).
Even though the dt880 in theory should be better for games, I also prefer the dt770 because they block out outside noise and still have a really large soundstage for a closed headphone. And the heavier bass also gives explosions a bit more punch.

I use the dt880 for movies/videos and classical music, where they are alot better than the dt770. :)

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #1,745 of 1,845

I listen to alot of metal, including doom and funeral doom, and I have to say, that the dt770 does metal and rock better. It is just at bit more v-shaped than the dt880 (I have both).
Even though the dt880 in theory should be better for games, I also prefer the dt770 because they block out outside noise and still have a really large soundstage for a closed headphone. And the heavier bass also gives explosions a bit more punch.

I use the dt880 for movies/videos and classical music, where they are alot better than the dt770. :)

Interesting, thanks for the input.

Isolation is not a problem to me, can you stand long sessions of music/gaming with your dt770?
As I said before, my problem is the pressure, clamping does not bother so much.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #1,746 of 1,845

Interesting, thanks for the input.

Isolation is not a problem to me, can you stand long sessions of music/gaming with your dt770?
As I said before, my problem is the pressure, clamping does not bother so much.

I often use them 5-6 hours at a time with no problems.
I have the dt770 32 ohms with pleather pads. They are comfortable, but the velour pads (that i have on both dt880 and dt990) are even more comfortable.
I also have the ATH-M50x, and they tend to be annoying on the head after 1-2 hours.

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #1,747 of 1,845

I often use them 5-6 hours at a time with no problems.
I have the dt770 32 ohms with pleather pads. They are comfortable, but the velour pads (that i have on both dt880 and dt990) are even more comfortable.
I also have the ATH-M50x, and they tend to be annoying on the head after 1-2 hours.

Which is best for vocals + acoustic?

Have you heard t1 and t5p

I think i will be going the Beyer route for all future headphones, except for portable ones on the go, ans some sonys :p.

thx

Sep 26, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #1,748 of 1,845
The DT880 is better for vocals (at least female vocals) and classical music.

Violins etc. sounds really, really good on the DT880. :)

I have not heard the t1 or t5p. And I have not heard the new DT1770 or DT1990.
But from my understanding, they sound better than the cheaper models. And they should, as the new ones cost 4 times the price of the old ones. :D

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #1,749 of 1,845
So far in the last month i've tried 3 different Beyer headphones.
First one I tried was the DT-990 32ohm. Sounded pretty decent, but a tad too much treble.
Believe it or not I found it to not have enough bass. Even the low-bass was nearly inaudible. Bizarre!
It actually had less bass than my HD-650 and bass modded Q701.

This one was described as a fun headphone, but there was nothing fun about it!

Overall I did like it, but the bass was disappointing. Maybe I got a lemon? Tried it with all sorts of amps etc.

I next tried the DT-880 250 ohm and loved it. Not quite enough bass for me though and that's even compared to the HD-650 and modded Q701.
I'd say this was one impressive headphone but I couldn't deal with the discomfort of wearing it.

Got the DT-990 250ohm in today and it sounds WAY better than the 32ohm version.
Almost immediately i'm hearing more bass. Mid-bass and actual low bass. Definitely a "fun" sound unlike the 32ohm version.

Definitely not bass heavy or even close. Similar to the bass on my Q701.

The treble doesn't bother me so far. All my super harsh songs still sound that way. It doesn't seem to make sibilance sound worse...yet.

Here's the real shocker for me..the DT-990 250 sounds warmer than all the others. Well, the recording has a lot to do with that.
Even the DT-880 sounded warmer than the DT-990 32ohm version.

BTW none of these headphones sounded cold, clinical, analytical, brittle or whatever you want to say...

This DT-990 250 is almost exactly how I remember it sounding back in 2007 when I first had it.

I also must be the first person who finds the DT-990 extremely comfortable, but not the DT-880.
I guess it's the depth of the cups and the foam inside.

EDIT: Loving this DT-990 250 ohm right out of the box. Has about the perfect amount of bass IMO. It might even have a TAD more than my bass modded Q701 and HD-650.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #1,750 of 1,845
The dt990 is the best of the three in my opinion. Granted I like them all three (very much actually), but all the qualities you get on the 880, you practically also get on the 990.

You would get the 880 if you really need the midrange to be that forward, and the 770 if you need something closed. Other than that, the 990 wins at everything. It has the widest soundstage, the midrange sounds just as great as on the 880 (and I think it does sound really outstanding; smooth, detailed, surprisingly natural, transparant - just beautiful, very underrated), but you also get a great bass response. It never sounds too thin, like the 880 occasionally does.

The 880 and 990 are both stellar though. They have an effortless sound that compares to electrostatics. Let's hope they won't soon replace these series. If they do, I'll be buying a spare one (of the 990 :)) for sure.

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #1,751 of 1,845
Does anyone know for sure if the DT-990 really has metal grills?
Mine both looked like painted plastic. It's hard to tell.

Maybe Beyer changed the material used to save money somehow?

Back in 2007 I was pretty positive they were aluminum at the time.

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #1,752 of 1,845
Hi everyone. First thanks to the author and all the contributors for this enlightening thread.

I'm currently on the market to upgrade my AKG K272 HD. I didn't dislike the sound but it was feeling very flat, with a lack of bass. The use of the new headphones will be to watch movies/tv shows on my PC. What i'm looking for is a wide soundstage and a good amount of bass. I did many research, and the DT 990 Pro 250 Ohms seems to fit the bill. In this review the 600 ohms version is said to have more bass. But here, the 600 ohms versions is 80 dollars more than the 250 ohms version. If bass is really what i'm about, does it worth throwing out the extra money ? Also if you can think of any others headphones that you think would be better for my use, i'm open to suggestions.

Also my understanding is that these cans works much better with an amp, specially for me who currently uses the integrated soundcard of my mobo. Can you point me to a good amp to use with these cans and my PC, i never owned one and it's an area i know nothing about. Budget for headphones + amp is 250 dollars top.

Thank you.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #1,753 of 1,845
The more I listen to DT770 the more the bass sounds like it was not made for listening, but for "analysis". It's easy to tell if your mixing has too much bass, but the enclosure does not actually (imo!) respond that well to music listening.

Here DT770 is hitting all the notes down to lowest ones, but the decay time is slightly too high in the bass, to make a smile in the face.

Anyone know if a DC-coupled amplifier could help with bass control?

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #1,754 of 1,845
Hi.
I need a piece of advice.
I purchased the DT990 PRO 250Ohm and I was wondering about sound difference between amped and non-amped. Using them directly from Xonar DX sound card (100Ohm from headphone out) the bass is kinda muddy, the double bass, low piano notes or cello low sounds are somehow overlapping and resonating. Using an amp (was thinking of Fiio A5) will tighten the bass (if that is the correct word, tight that is). Will it separate bass from other frequencies?

Nov 10, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #1,755 of 1,845
  Hi.
I need a piece of advice.
I purchased the DT990 PRO 250Ohm and I was wondering about sound difference between amped and non-amped. Using them directly from Xonar DX sound card (100Ohm from headphone out) the bass is kinda muddy, the double bass, low piano notes or cello low sounds are somehow overlapping and resonating. Using an amp (was thinking of Fiio A5) will tighten the bass (if that is the correct word, tight that is). Will it separate bass from other frequencies?

Never heard them unamped. No complaints when amped with a dedicated source.
At the 80ohm, 250, 600 seem to do better with an amp

Ofc 32/16 ohm beyers better non amped. I found some picked up too much source noise with lower ohm when paired with dedicated amp, but ofc that could be with cheap sources/amps relatively speaking.

Paired with Bravo Ocean, no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back