[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
May 23, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #1,711 of 1,845
There is a really neat guide regarding the differences between the different dt 770-990 models, http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more .

That being said, I own the DT-770 32 ohm with leather pads, and I really like it. I'm guessing it sounds a bit different than the 80 ohm, but since i don't have the 80 ohm, I can't be sure.
Reviewers seem to like it though: http://www.headfonia.com/the-beyerdynamic-we-love-dt770-anniversary-edition/2/

The anniversary dt770 32 ohm is the same as the normal dt 770 32 ohm. They started making the normal one, because the limited anniversary edition 32 ohm was a big hit. :)

May 23, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #1,712 of 1,845
The anniversary dt770 32 ohm is the same as the normal dt 770 32 ohm. They started making the normal one, because the limited anniversary edition 32 ohm was a big hit. :)

Not entirely true:  32 ohm model was available long before LE 88 version. BD NA didn't import this model but it was available in Europe.
And, some inside cup photos suggest that the "normal" 32 ohm and LE 88 isn't exactly the same. Damping material/arrangement inside the cup is different.

May 25, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #1,713 of 1,845
Would you guys say that in the dt770s, the lower the ohms the drivers are worst?

The 32ohm version is worst in any way than the 80 or 250ohm version (by worst i mean, less detail, worst control on the bass and overall sound, the higher the volume the more it distorts.... Stuff like that....)?

May 25, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #1,714 of 1,845

Not entirely true:  32 ohm model was available long before LE 88 version. BD NA didn't import this model but it was available in Europe.
And, some inside cup photos suggest that the "normal" 32 ohm and LE 88 isn't exactly the same. Damping material/arrangement inside the cup is different.

Seems like you're right. I read someone else state that the new 32 ohm was a continuation of the LE version, but now I can't find the source. :/ I guess they have their differences after all, but since I have never actually seen the LE I can't say for sure.

Would you guys say that in the dt770s, the lower the ohms the drivers are worst?

The 32ohm version is worst in any way than the 80 or 250ohm version (by worst i mean, less detail, worst control on the bass and overall sound, the higher the volume the more it distorts.... Stuff like that....)?

Look at page 1 in this thread. That is about as precise an answer you are going to get. Also take your musical taste into consideration and the fact that the dt-770 80, 250 and 600 ohm have velour pads while the 32 ohm have pleather pads (You can buy additional velour pads and put on the 32 ohm though).

May 25, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #1,715 of 1,845
Am i thr only one who thinks the 80ohm dt770 is a overall superflat headphone that only shows its bass strenght with some reeeaaaaaally have eq or bass boost?

Have the hd25, hd598 and dt770 right in front of me and with all playing in a flat eq, even the hd598 sounds fuller than yhe dt770..... The 770 only comes to life if i turn the bass boost on on my e12....

Maybe its because i am a hd25 and m50x fan, but this is and had always been my perception of the dt770 sound....

May 25, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #1,716 of 1,845
Am i thr only one who thinks the 80ohm dt770 is a overall superflat headphone that only shows its bass strenght with some reeeaaaaaally have eq or bass boost?

Have the hd25, hd598 and dt770 right in front of me and with all playing in a flat eq, even the hd598 sounds fuller than yhe dt770..... The 770 only comes to life if i turn the bass boost on on my e12....

Maybe its because i am a hd25 and m50x fan, but this is and had always been my perception of the dt770 sound....

I think the Beyerdynamic line of headphones primarily focus on the highs. That being said, I really enjoy the sound of both the dt770, dt880 and dt990. I don't consider them bass-shy (maybe the dt880 a little bit), but they do not produce any bass sound when the music does not specifically have lows in the mix. :)

May 25, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #1,717 of 1,845
I think the Beyerdynamic line of headphones primarily focus on the highs. That being said, I really enjoy the sound of both the dt770, dt880 and dt990. I don't consider them bass-shy (maybe the dt880 a little bit), but they do not produce any bass sound when the music does not specifically have lows in the mix. :)

Yeah i know they dont but its like w hidden feature. With a bass boost or eq you unlock a very present and pleasing rumbly bass but without any eq they are as u said the beyers are a fairly flat but mostly trebly headphone. And i am talking about the 80ohm ones.... Wich are supposed to have less highs and more bass than any other beyer.

Its just confusing for me seeing people recomending the beyers has bass cans.... The m50x and hd25 without any eq match the bass punchiness and rumble of the dt770. For a person that likes to mess with eqs i do believe great bass levels and powerfull sound can be achieved, but for those who just like to plug and play and that expect a more modern (bassy) sound signature i would not recommend they beyers at all. They have qualities of course, confort, separation, soundstage, but IMO the overall flat\bright and i cant understand how many see them has bass headphones without massive equing.....

....or maybe my pair is f....ed up.... Dont know....

Thats why i was asking about the 32 and 250 versions.... I can get both right now for reeeeeal cheap and return them if i dont like them but i doubt i will get any different feelings... The 250 version mist be even more trebly than the 80ohm one.... My hope was that the 32ohm had a biggrt sound due to the low impedance.... But i already saw some coments sayng they are closer sounding to the 250 ohm one and that is already discouraging me....

Would the dt990 me a better fit for me as a m50x and hd25 lover? People say bass is cool on those but that the treble os like a rain of knives.... :D

But thats what people say.... Like some that say the dt770 are bass canons.... Pfffff.....

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #1,718 of 1,845
The DT990/600 is my first and longest love, mainly because they share so many similarities to Klipsch speakers: sparkly, crystal-clear high and booming bass. the "bass cannon" of the 990 is a feature, not a bug, and I certainly don't hear the rain of knives! :D Then again, I'm sure amping has a lot to do with it; I've used the Schiit Asgard 1 and 2 with them and they're currently mated to my Bottlehead Crack.

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #1,719 of 1,845
I love the comfort (those velour pass!) of the DT 880 Pro/250 and truly enjoy the sound. These were my first full-sized Beyer cans and some of my favorite over-ears overall.

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #1,720 of 1,845
Ooh, definitely. I've been on a bit of a test-driving binge lately and no cans are more comfy than the DT990 or T1.

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #1,722 of 1,845
I wonder if the differences between these impedances are exaggerated. I've got the 770 32 OHM and I put the regular Beyer velours on them, and comparing with the 250 version (amped or unamped), it sounds exactly like the same headphone. Why did OP write all that prose detailing their differences when I couldn't even tell them apart? 

Anyone else wondering about the same thing?

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,723 of 1,845
  I wonder if the differences between these impedances are exaggerated. I've got the 770 32 OHM and I put the regular Beyer velours on them, and comparing with the 250 version (amped or unamped), it sounds exactly like the same headphone. Why did OP write all that prose detailing their differences when I couldn't even tell them apart? 

Anyone else wondering about the same thing?

I have not tested different ohm-versions of the same headphone. But from my understanding, the only 770 to really stand out is the 80 ohm, which sounds a bit different from the others.
But to be honest, I am pretty sure that the different ohm-versions will sound almost identical, if not completely identical. They SHOULD sound the same (As ohms do not affect sound signature a whole lot), but the manufacturer may just change the different versions a little bit from each other.
The 32 ohm comes with pleather pads. I would think that this should change the sound signature a little bit and give a bit more bass.

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #1,724 of 1,845
The funny thing is that not only Ohm doesn't affect sound signature, it doesn't seem to affect how efficiently they are driven either. Straight into my phone, my 250ohm DT 990's get pretty much the same volume as my DT 770 32ohm headphones. 

What is this whole ohm business then? Why make a 32ohm version of a 250ohm headphone if they're exactly the same? Just to give it a straight cable?

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #1,725 of 1,845
Question..... Wich is punchier? The dt770 pro 80ohm or the 250 ohm dt990 pro?

I got the dt770 a year ago and despite being a good and very confortable headphone i got a bit dispointed.... Everyone says bass this bass that about the 80ohm dt770 and therefore i expected something with bery impactfull bass like a senn hd25 or m50x.... It has bass but not has punchy and impactfull as i would like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back