[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Aug 14, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #1,699 of 1,845
I am now superconfused...... i have the ath m50x and  and the dt770 pro 80 ohm here with me and i have done pretty expensive comparison and i just can't understand how so many people say the 80oh dt770 is bassier than the m50/m50x...

i have plugged both to my 4th gen ipod touch and ipad air 2 and wether amped (using a topping nx1) or unamped for me the outcome is always the same.... yes the dt770 is very pleasently sounding due to the larger soundstage and has pretty nice bass but the m50x has a bit more impact on the bass, it hits much harder and sound more agressive when listening to rock or edm.... dont understand how many people call the 80ohm 770 bass monters.... they are bassy yes but the m50x is more. i like both though. the m50x sounds a bit more powerfull and agressive the dt770 is a spatious sounding v shaped sound but sound a tiny bit thinner...

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #1,700 of 1,845
I'm planning to get the DT880 (600ohm). I already have a Xonar Essence STX sound card. Will this built-in amp be able to drive such high impedance? It's rated for 600ohm max, but I'm not sure hitting the very max would produce good quality sound.

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #1,701 of 1,845
Get a Vali with it or Valhalla 2 on the Line Out.

With this (being an internal sound card) you'll get maximum bits as your volume will be 100.
Plus you can use Dolby Headphone through the Line Out as well should you be wanting to game with it. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #1,702 of 1,845
Have anyone heard DT770Pro and DT880Pro?
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test

Which are better for live recording and mixing? Often some recommend DT880Pro in the top 10 reviews and I seem to find DT770Pro 95% close to the original sound track, whereas DT880 250Ohm is a little quite or some details weren't noticeable in the treble.

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #1,703 of 1,845
IDK what the OP was talking about concerning the DT770 pro.... I just purchased (and returned) a pair. I have the DT880 PRO and the DT880 Premium and both of those cans are great. The DT770 pro is absolutely bass heavy, and I got the 250ohm version. I can't imagine the 80ohm version. I mean how on earth can anyone seriously listen to this headphone (DT770) and call it balanced... or neutral? IMPOSSIBLE! The bass was absolutely insane. I would venture a guess of about a 10db boost of all the sub bass frequencies. That being said, for people who want bass, a lot of good clean bass, the DT770 should be right up your alley. Anyone needing more bass than what the DT770 delivers needs to see an ear doctor ASAP.

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #1,704 of 1,845
... or just crank it up higher to shake out all the wax
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #1,705 of 1,845
Hey guys!

I'm currently looking for a new pair of headphones.
The headphones I had before are the ATHm50.
I like the sound, so I want something similar. People adviced me the DT 770 pro 32 version. Because according to them it comes closest to the m50 and I don´t need an amp.
I drive it from my motherboard, I don´t have a soundcard, dac or amp.

However, i heard that the 80 ohm version is best for my music taste ( edm & pop ).
On the other hand, I read that the 250 ohm version is a good upgrade from the 32 ohm version..

So my Dilemma...

I wanna buy the 32 version, however they're 10 euros more expensive, plus the earpads will make it 30 euros more expensive than the 80 or 250 ohm version.
So my question is, is it worth to pay a bit extra for the 80/250 ohm version with an amp ? Again, i've no DAC nor soundcard.
Or should I stick with the 32 ohm version?

Thank you guys in advance!

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #1,706 of 1,845
I also started out with the ATH-M50.

Since then i bought the DT880 Premium 250ohm, DT770 PRO 32ohms and DT990 PRO 250 ohm, in that order.

I drive them all mainly from my desktop motherboard. It is an expensive motherboard with a decent headphone amp, and it drives all of them nicely. I also have a FIIO E07K that drives all of them just fine, although not quite as good as my motherboard.

With your taste in music I would go for the DT770. I personally prefer the DT880, but that is because I mainly listen to technical death metal. Pop and electronic music fares alot better on the DT770 IMO.
And the DT770 32ohm is really close to the sound of the ATH-M50, just a bit better in all regards. And I would start out with the stock pleather-pads, as they are in fact quite nice and alot better than the ones on the ATH-M50.

If you have a desktop it should be able to amp the DT700 32ohms just fine, but if you have a laptop I would go for a DAC/AMP combo like any in the FIIO series. This would also probably give you a cleaner sound than straight from your computer.

But since you are coming from ATH-M50, I would recommend you just start out with buying the DT770 32ohm and give them a listen. And then, if you really feel like you need it, you could buy new pads and/or an amp.

May 16, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #1,707 of 1,845
I was planning on buying the DT 770. I will mainly listen to heavy metal. I read somewhere that the dt770 250 ohm edition was great for that type of music. What is your opinion? I will be running these without an amp or dac

May 20, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #1,708 of 1,845
Funny, I basically bought the same as you sludge. First a DT880 250Ohm Premium, then a DT990 Pro 250Ohm (limited edition) and now a DT770 Pro 32Ohm.

I  love the DT880 because of comfort (less clamping force) and because it's great with modern classical musical like Einaudi, Yann Tiersen, Yiruma and so on. Violins and acoustic guitars really sound great on the DT880. 

The DT770 is great for electronic music like Klaypex, Daft Punk and is better overall with pop. And having almost no sound leakage makes them perfect as travelling headphones (I also have an AKG N60 which I love for the noise cancellation and confort but the DT770 are just better in cases when I don't need noise cancellation)

The DT990 is more "fun". I feel it goes really great with Hard Rock, Metal... It's also great with edm but tends to be more tiring than the DT770 over long period of time.

In term of soundstage, DT880 > DT990 > DT770. I do feel a bit claustrophobic when I switch from DT880 to DT770.

Right now I use a Fiio e17 as an amp for the DT880 and DT990 and don't bother with an amp for the DT770.
To be fair though, I don't really feel that much of a difference with and without the e17 (slightly less hiss compared to the macbook pro 15 inch retina but not that big a difference). I'm kind of curious about trying a tube amp but haven't gotten around to that. Any good recommendation?

May 22, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #1,709 of 1,845
  Funny, I basically bought the same as you sludge. First a DT880 250Ohm Premium, then a DT990 Pro 250Ohm (limited edition) and now a DT770 Pro 32Ohm.

I  love the DT880 because of comfort (less clamping force) and because it's great with modern classical musical like Einaudi, Yann Tiersen, Yiruma and so on. Violins and acoustic guitars really sound great on the DT880. 

The DT770 is great for electronic music like Klaypex, Daft Punk and is better overall with pop. And having almost no sound leakage makes them perfect as travelling headphones (I also have an AKG N60 which I love for the noise cancellation and confort but the DT770 are just better in cases when I don't need noise cancellation)

The DT990 is more "fun". I feel it goes really great with Hard Rock, Metal... It's also great with edm but tends to be more tiring than the DT770 over long period of time.

In term of soundstage, DT880 > DT990 > DT770. I do feel a bit claustrophobic when I switch from DT880 to DT770.

Right now I use a Fiio e17 as an amp for the DT880 and DT990 and don't bother with an amp for the DT770.
To be fair though, I don't really feel that much of a difference with and without the e17 (slightly less hiss compared to the macbook pro 15 inch retina but not that big a difference). I'm kind of curious about trying a tube amp but haven't gotten around to that. Any good recommendation?

I actually have not bought a tube-amp yet. I somehow feel, that it would be "coloring" the sound - which I guess is the whole point. It should make the music sound more "alive". And from what I understand, it should sound a lot like listening to an LP instead of a CD, which is also by many considered to be a more "alive" sound.
From my understanding a CD should have an overall better quality audio. But if the alternative sounds better in an actual listening scenario, then I guess that could also be the preferred option, either by LP og by use of a tube-amp.

I guess a recommendation regarding amp should take your budget into consideration?
I have heard great things about the Little Dot MK2: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Dot-MKII-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QMAI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463943759&sr=8-1&keywords=tube+amp
From my understanding though, the stock tubes are not exactly good, not even after a lengthy breakin of around 100 hours. You should find some other tubes. Where to do that is probably best reserved for another thread entirely. :D

May 22, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #1,710 of 1,845
Guys.... I have a dt770 pro 80ohm but i would like to have a shorter cable..... What would i win/loose if i switched from a 80 ohm dt770 to a 32? I dont looooove my dt770s because i uasually prefer a more punchy and exciting sound such as on the hd25 or m50x.... Is the 32 ohm dt770 any more exciting, punchy than the 80ohm one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back