[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Jan 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,306 of 1,845
I just received my DT770 Pro 80's and I love them so far, except for two things.

They are really comfortable, but clamp quite a bit too hard for me.

Some female vocals sound just awful on these. It's like they are cupping their hands around their mouth. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #1,307 of 1,845
That's somewhat expected from really bass heavy headphones. Shouldn't be surprised about that.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,308 of 1,845
Quote:
Yes, TECHNICALLY. In real world practice, it's mostly inaudible. 

Well yeah. Well implemented gain switches should (in theory) have no audible difference in sound quality except for noise control. 

Quote:

You can try stretching out the headband a bit. Either do it carefully by hand, or try stretching them out over a stack of books overnight. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #1,309 of 1,845
Quote:
I just received my DT770 Pro 80's and I love them so far, except for two things.

Some female vocals sound just awful on these. It's like they are cupping their hands around their mouth. 

I agree, mine clamp too hard. If you take the headband cover off, you'll notice the whole band is metal :) That makes it great for stretching out without worrying about breaking stuff (just notice that the metal in the band aren't the same ones that hold the phones).

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #1,310 of 1,845
Quote:
I got the 770 pro 250s in yesterday and I'm definitely loving them. I wish they had a little more punch in the mid bass but I guess something has to give in a sub $200 pair of cans.

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of 990s from the guitar center to compare the sounds and make a final decision. Quick question, I find that the 770s are a pretty bright. Definitely something I'm not use to. I'm wondering if the 990s are even worth testing as I heard the highs are extremely bright. Thoughts?

You could pair your DT770 with a dark sounding and has a good bass punch amp

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #1,311 of 1,845
Quote:

That is probably because of the large dip at 3-4 kHz that all versions of the DT770 have. It can indeed make the sound unnatural and muffled (I noticed it immediately when first trying these headphones). You can get used to it over time, use parametric EQ to fill the "hole" in the frequency response, or just return or sell the headphones if nothing else works
normal_smile .gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #1,312 of 1,845
Just a quick post to draw on the collective wisdom of the crowd here-- I purchased both the 990 pro and the 990 premium 600 ohm, wanted to try out the different ohm rating.  I also grabbed an e17 to drive them.  Have been doing some A/B testing running out of the headphone jack on my x-fi platinum to the e17, using flac files.  At max volume on the e17 (gain at 0), the 600 ohm are loud enough and seem to have more clearly pronounced bass, but the sound isn't overwhelmingly loud.  The 250 have a more present bass, but it doesn't seem to be as clearly defined as on the 600 (clamping force difference?). Turning up the gain on e17 helps sharpen the bass impact and detail on the 600. 

Return window is about to close, and the price difference between the two was fairly negligible.  So my question is-- how much will a lower-end (sub-$200) desktop amp affect the sound on the 600?  The 250 seem a bit bloatier on the bass, which at times I can mistake for a fuller sound, but it also seems like boom for the sake of boom.  Finally, any good suggestions for test tracks?  

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #1,313 of 1,845
As long as the amps are providing sufficient voltage/current swing, it shouldn't produce such a huge difference in sound that they headphones will sound different. In your case it seems you prefer the sound of the 600, but just need more gain. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #1,315 of 1,845
I just got the DT770 Pro 80's and wow.

The bass on these is amazing, both quantity and quality. Drums/Cymbals and male vocals sound especially good. Comfort is good but clamp a little too much for me. 

I found that some mainstream music that suffer from a lot of dynamic range compression sound especially bad on these compared to my cheaper stuff. I could only describe it as nasal sounding.

They are surprisingly efficient and run very loud on the middle preset on my Xonar DG's amp. I'm not sure if the Xonar DG is a good source for these because the overly compressed stuff I described up sounded better coming out of my onboard. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #1,316 of 1,845
I'll ask my question here rather than start a new thread:

How do the various DT990's compare since the original one (from the early 90's I believe). I believe I have the original (almost 'vintage') version with the fake leather AKG style double headband.
I think it sounds brilliant even by modern standards but would care to hear what people found different (if anything) in any or all the models that came after. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #1,317 of 1,845
Quote:

That is probably because of the large dip at 3-4 kHz that all versions of the DT770 have. It can indeed make the sound unnatural and muffled (I noticed it immediately when first trying these headphones). You can get used to it over time, use parametric EQ to fill the "hole" in the frequency response, or just return or sell the headphones if nothing else works
normal_smile%20.gif

can I just use the slider EQ in foobar or in my xonars settings. I don't have a parametric EQ

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,318 of 1,845
Quote:
can I just use the slider EQ in foobar or in my xonars settings. I don't have a parametric EQ

Yeah. As I understand it, a parametric EQ would be higher quality but the foobar or xonar EQs should work as well.

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #1,320 of 1,845
Anything that alters the signal can effect the sound quality. You'll have to ask someone who has more experience but in my experience, yes, certain software EQ's can be of rather poor quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back